Kiko Tovar custom bows

On an archery bear hunt in ID 5 or 6 years ago my outfitter had a short little recurve bow hanging up. I started asking questions about it since I’d never seen anything like it. I found out that it was a KT44 Mag built by a man named Kiko Tovar. Kiko had since passed away, but I couldn’t get the bow off my mind. I shot it very well and loved the feel. I shot it well enough that the outfitter tried to get me to carry it on my last several days of hunting and kill another bear with it.

When I returned him to OK I started hunting for one of my own, and after several months I found one with a second set of limbs. I shot it for a few years before I went hard core into training wheels again. I decided this year that it’s time to break it back out and try to finally draw blood with it. I pretty sure I can get it done.

Any of you own or shoot one of Kiko’s bows? They’re as short as I’ve ever seen. I believe the KT44M is 44” unstrung. It’s perfect for a blind or in a tree stand. I’ll try to get some pics of mine up for folks to look at if they’ve not seen one. I’d love to hear some other stories about these things if you’ve got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not shot a KT44 or a replica. Some years back when I was bowyering there were a few hands on tradgang making them. Yes its ideal for tree stands, ground blinds and tight quarters. I like all of the single stringers out there, I just have a hard time shooting a high wrist. post up some pics would love to see it.

Beendare

WKR
I think A friend of mine in Hawaii had one. It’s the one with that drastic forward > riser correct?

A couple of guys at our club have those short Shrew type bows Which are similar. I have never found a lefty to shoot but the guys that shoot them say they point really good. They don’t appear to have very good arrow performance.

OP
O
Yes, they’re a pretty drastic design. I’m not a traditional guy for the most part, so I haven’t shot it next to anything else to see what it’s performance is like. It points amazing, though. I was shooting thrown targets at 15 yards within 30 minutes of picking it up, and I hadn’t shot a traditional bow for probably 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobinmi

WKR
They shoot far better than you would ever expect from a 44" bow. However, they are still far more critical to shoot than a longer bow. They were called "little suckling recurves".