Kill Kit Basics

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I liked these reflective ones but they seem to be hard to find.

I will use them to start marking from my shooting position to blood spots to the kill, if it is needed. I will also use it to mark my way in and out of a kill site if I am caching meat there. lastly, I find it useful to Mark from my kill site to a more highly visible terrain feature. I don’t always do it but it can be helpful for a challenging track Or in thick brush. Also, You need to be thoughtful about clean up.

Thanks for the link DJ. That product is OOS.

Eddie

I'd very much suggest gloves. Ungulates can have communicable diseases and slight nicks and cuts can provide entry. It's rare, but you won't know until you cut into it.

I think the above are pretty complete kits. I write on the outside of my bag what's in there incase someone needs to find something quickly and as a reference for me to refill after a hunt.
What diseases do they carry that will transfer to humans?

Although I love the Gerber Vital type knives you can save a little money by just using regular straight razor blades for skinning. Just need to be a little more careful & always have a film canister, etc. to put the old ones in.

Mosby

WKR
I am trying to improve my kill kit and I just bought a large Kifaru pull out for my "new" kill kit. I use Caribou bags. Got some fresh reflective cord for hanging game bags. Zip ties. I increased the size of my plastic to put meat on. A small pill bottle for used Havalon blades. Better nitrile gloves for cleaning. Individual wet wipes to clean hands or a wound if I cut myself. A couple paper towels folded up. Band aides with antibiotic pads. A couple of gauze pads. Small amount of medical tape. I have cut myself a couple of times processing game and wasn't really prepared for it, so I am adding some first aid stuff in my kill kit. Pen. Flagging tape and trail markers. Knife. Thats about it.

Last edited:

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
1) I’ve been using 1.8 mm reflective cordage from Amazon, the stuff is FIRE when a headlamp hits it

2) I use a combo knife(I believe its a Jim Shockey edition) fixed blade/replaceable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Something that I started doing a few years ago is to include a pair of cheap, thin brown jersey gloves to put on over the latex gloves. Gives some traction to your grip when things get bloody. They also help keep hands a little warmer.
Thanks, Rufus.

j33

WKR
What is the purpose of the flagging tape?

I didn’t have it last year and tried the “ultralight” approach of using toilet paper last year.... Tossed it at a few spots then backed out for an hour after shooting a deer with the bow. Came back and for the life of me couldn’t spot the damn white paper, took me an extra little bit to find blood.
This year I re-added back 0.1oz of orange flagging tape, I don’t like spending more time tracking in grizz country.... I always put it where I took the shot and first blood at minimum, pull it off after I find animal.

I didn’t have it last year and tried the “ultralight” approach of using toilet paper last year.... Tossed it at a few spots then backed out for an hour after shooting a deer with the bow. Came back and for the life of me couldn’t spot the damn white paper, took me an extra little bit to find blood.
This year I re-added back 0.1oz of orange flagging tape, I don’t like spending more time tracking in grizz country.... I always put it where I took the shot and first blood at minimum, pull it off after I find animal.

Yup, I’ll occasionally do the same thing. I’ve also used it to mark my pack if I decide to drop it for a final stalk. After spending about an hour one time looking for my pack on a rocky mountain side, I decided that I didn’t ever want to go through that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: j33

Antares

WKR
I carry two things I haven't seen mentioned yet.

- Bone saw. I use it to cut ribs off along the spine, but it's handy for other things too.

- Knife sharpener. Obviously not needed if you're using a replaceable blade, but I like a fixed blade.

Last edited:

SonnyDay

WKR
I bought some reflective tape (like what you might put on the back of a trailer, or you often see on emergency/utility vehicles for extra visibility) and then cut small pieces of it and stuck those on my orange flagging. Day mode and night mode in one...

Would definitely recommend cut resistant gloves, level 3 at least. We require them on our construction sites and see the difference they make all the time. You can pick them up at home depot for less than $10 and I bet they weigh less than 5 ounces.

We recently did a demonstration where a razor blade went through both the top and bottom of regular leather gloves but didn't even get through the palm of an A3 glove with multiple forceful attempts. Great peace of mind.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I put following in a food saver vacuum bag:

4 game bags
Three paper towels
Small package of grime boss wipes
Havalon knife - in sheath with extra blades
Trash bag for setting things on
2 zip ties
2 nitrile gloves
1 ziplock bag

then I vacuum seal it, makes it nice and compact, plus I know everything is in there. I have one fixed blade knife and a sharpie in a pouch on my pack, as well as a little cordage and flagging tape.