Kill Kit Basics

PFERN

FNG
Hello, new hunter. As I acquire more items for my first hunt what would be the basics items needed for a simple kill kit without further breaking the bank?

I have focused most expensive items on pack, boots, and bow.

Thanks!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
It’ll change depending on type of hunt and species, but generally:
- game bags
- couple of zip ties
- mini sharpie
- replaceable blade knife of your choosing
- a few replacement blades
- cordage (amount and type depending on situation)
- pair of gloves
- ground sheet (depending on if weight is concern)
- small section of flagging

Welcome.

building on the input here:

- latex gloves
- i sometimes use a cut proof glove ($6 on Amazon) under a latex glove on my weak hand.
- a few feet of flagging tape
- a dozen or so reflective tacks. Not enough for a trail but enough to mark the kill site and track fro there to any easily identifiable terrain feature. If you can find them somebody used to make reflective twist ties which I prefer to the tacks. Reflective tape would work too.
- a gallon zip lock for heart and liver.
- wet wipes for clean up after.
- I have a pulley system that will le me hoist a deer but I don’t always use it and it probably costs too much for the value it brings.

87TT

WKR
Good knife. and a spare I have become attached to my Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife.
Game bags. I have some Tag Bags. But any sturdy reusable ones.
Water and a couple dish towels or similar for clean up.
I don't use gloves. Stuff washes off.
Piece of Tyvek to lay the meat on while you bag it.
Paracord for hanging the meat.

OP
PFERN

PFERN

FNG
It’ll change depending on type of hunt and species, but generally:
- game bags
- couple of zip ties
- mini sharpie
- replaceable blade knife of your choosing
- a few replacement blades
- cordage (amount and type depending on situation)
- pair of gloves
- ground sheet (depending on if weight is concern)
- small section of flagging
Thank you for the reply, would you suggest regular latex gloves or basic leather gloves for protection from cutting myself?

OP
PFERN

PFERN

FNG
Good knife. and a spare I have become attached to my Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife.
Game bags. I have some Tag Bags. But any sturdy reusable ones.
Water and a couple dish towels or similar for clean up.
I don't use gloves. Stuff washes off.
Piece of Tyvek to lay the meat on while you bag it.
Paracord for hanging the meat.
Awesome I already purchased an outdoors edge based on other reviews. Smart maybe I can bring some basic visquine to layout as well

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for the reply, would you suggest regular latex gloves or basic leather gloves for protection from cutting myself?
I would use latex or nitrile. If weight isn’t a concern or worried about getting cut some of the fish cleaning/Kevlar gloves don’t weight too much.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'd very much suggest gloves. Ungulates can have communicable diseases and slight nicks and cuts can provide entry. It's rare, but you won't know until you cut into it.

I think the above are pretty complete kits. I write on the outside of my bag what's in there incase someone needs to find something quickly and as a reference for me to refill after a hunt.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome.

building on the input here:

- latex gloves
- i sometimes use a cut proof glove ($6 on Amazon) under a latex glove on my weak hand.
- a few feet of flagging tape
- a dozen or so reflective tacks. Not enough for a trail but enough to mark the kill site and track fro there to any easily identifiable terrain feature. If you can find them somebody used to make reflective twist ties which I prefer to the tacks. Reflective tape would work too.
- a gallon zip lock for heart and liver.
- wet wipes for clean up after.
- I have a pulley system that will le me hoist a deer but I don’t always use it and it probably costs too much for the value it brings.
What is the purpose of the flagging tape?

Normally people use it to tie off to branches at blood spots or last sign of blood. Or to mark their kill site if they have to leave it over night and find it again. Also I’ve seen people tie it to their antlers on pack out for visibility reasons I assume. I don’t carry any though.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
Normally people use it to tie off to branches at blood spots or last sign of blood. Or to mark their kill site if they have to leave it over night and find it again. Also I’ve seen people tie it to their antlers on pack out for visibility reasons I assume. I don’t carry any though.
Thanks, never use it before but I will add to my kit....

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Mark shooting position, blood, tracks, etc. Really comes in handy if solo, typically nothing looks like you think it did once you get over to the area and don’t want to lose track of any sign. Typically marking blood trail on GPS is an exercise in frustration because when you need it to be exact, your location will ping pong around, hence the flagging.

I liked these reflective ones but they seem to be hard to find.

I will use them to start marking from my shooting position to blood spots to the kill, if it is needed. I will also use it to mark my way in and out of a kill site if I am caching meat there. lastly, I find it useful to Mark from my kill site to a more highly visible terrain feature. I don’t always do it but it can be helpful for a challenging track Or in thick brush. Also, You need to be thoughtful about clean up.