Kill Site ID

Voyageur

WKR
Pure speculation, but is it a trapper's snare location? Coyote trappers will haul dead livestock into cover and then during fur season guard any and all approach trails to the bait with numerous snares. The thing that makes me second guess the snare theory is the 11000' elevation. Seems like it would be inaccessible by the time fur was prime.
Is it possible the sheep didn't make it out of the high country in the fall and that is where they bunched up and died during a snow storm?

Fatcamp

WKR
Lightning strike. Snowstorm.

Highly likely not Bigfoot. How do you know it hasn't been fed on? That place is a mess.

EastMT

WKR
Man hard to tell. I’ve seen cattle fall in deep ditches that were drifted over and die, but hard to tell if that is a deep hole or not. If some were out wandering last fall and got stuck maybe.

Lightning, snow drift/avalanche would be my top 2, but can’t tell the terrain

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Man hard to tell. I’ve seen cattle fall in deep ditches that were drifted over and die, but hard to tell if that is a deep hole or not. If some were out wandering last fall and got stuck maybe.

Lightning, snow drift/avalanche would be my top 2, but can’t tell the terrain

Definitely in avalanche terrain, so that’s a possibility, though not piled up in a place where you’d expect an avalanche to leave them in context to the terrain. Could have just gotten snowed in there and died, but also not the place you’d expect to take cover in a storm when there are fur trees nearby. Sheep are kinda dumb though.

There’s a reason I stated in my post sheep being sheep...they are notoriously stooopid. And will follow.
My guess is a storm of some sort for them after they wandered away. Would not be shocked if you asked the local rancher if he had a few go missing last year

def90

WKR
Yeah, could have been sick sheep driven off by the herders and dispatched away from the group. Scavengers did a good number on them.

FLAK

WKR
I would expect the bones to be scattered over a MUCH wider area if they had been scavenged on by anything larger than a mink/birds. Unusual to see just large piles of bones basically
stacked on top of each other.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I would expect the bones to be scattered over a MUCH wider area if they had been scavenged on by anything larger than a mink/birds. Unusual to see just large piles of bones basically
stacked on top of each other.

Some folks say that coyotes will not mess with kills that Mtn Lions have claimed. I sent these images to a guy who studies Mtn lions and he doesn’t think a Mtn Lion brought the animals to this spot. I still remain unconvinced that they were dumped here, though -it’s just too random and inconvenient of a location. Could be that the died here through whatever natural means (snow, lightning) and a Mtn Lion claimed the carcasses until there was nothing left to scavenge.