Killin' time on spring bear hunt

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys do during long middays on spring bear hunts? read? fish? nap? hike to the next glassing spot?

If a guy were so inclined, what would you bring along to do a little fishing in the creeks/small ponds in the Southern Region 1 area? Never been to this part of Montana before.. but I have a feeling its a little different than Nebraska.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
If you're coming out here all the way from Nebraska I'd encourage you to hunt as many hours as you possibly can. Bears tend to be more active in the afternoon but you can find and kill them at any time. Unless you really value fishing, napping or reading stick to hunting. This is a rare opportunity and you never know when you might glass one up and get an opportunity. Hell, you might only get one opportunity the entire trip if you've never hunted bear here before

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add that last Friday I saw some dudes from ND shoot a bear at 1 pm. Stay focused and you have a decent chance

jeffpg

WKR
This is interesting. I am about to partake in spring bear hunting in Montana. I have heard that the last hour of the day is about the only time worth hunting...

This is interesting. I am about to partake in spring bear hunting in Montana. I have heard that the last hour of the day is about the only time worth hunting...

Biggest color phase bear I've ever seen was right at noon so take that for what it's worth. Definitely a higher percentage of mature boars out during the evenings in my experience but I would never say it's the only time worth hunting, especially in June when the days are long and the boars are roaming.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I saw 3 bears a couple weeks ago in one day. One was at 1:30 p.m. on a wide open hillside with no cover within a couple hundred yards. The other a creek bottom about 2 p.m. and another on an open hillside about 6 p.m. Bears can be out feeding any time.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk