Kilo 2400 abs help

Recently bought a kilo 2400 abs, and I’ve been comparing it to my kestrel. I am getting different hold over data at the same ranges between the two units but I have the exact same data put into them. I wouldn’t be super concerned about this if the holdovers were close but they are pretty far off. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so what did you do to fix it? Needing so feedback in case I forgot to account for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would need more information to answer this question. Your using two completely different instruments for which each calculates differently and trying to reach the same conclusions. Is the Kestrel accounting for spin drift and coriolis effect? Are you using the custom bullet library and Litz drag model in the 2400 and something different in the Kestrel? Have you entered any elevation corrections into either instrument? Is the scope height/to bore the same in both instruments? Is your DOPE correct for the Kestrel and have you confirmed it at distance? If this is the case you can calibrate the 2400 to match.

Dan

OP
SneakyThunderCat
As far as I know both units are compensating for the same things. I’ve checked environmentals on both and they are reading extremely close. Sight height, bc, MV table, everything is exactly the same but the kestrel holdovers read lower than the sig. I trust the kestrel because I’ve confirmed the accuracy of the data. Just curious why the sig is reading different when all of the data is the exact same as the kestrel. I punched all the same data into a ballistic calculator on my phone and it reads the same as the kestrel. So something isn’t right with the sig clearly, it’s just frustrating that such an expensive rangefinder isn’t cooperating like it should.

I would double check all the values agian.
And then I believe you will have to "true" you chart. Aka shoot the rifle and enter the exact dial and range in the phone app. And hit true. Then do it at another yardage.
Punch kilo 2400 abs in on you tube there is a very good video about 30 min on how to set it all up.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Range of 390 yards with a 3 o clock 5mph crosswind the sig gives me an elevation reading of 4.65 moa and a windage of .84 to the right.
Same range on the kestrel is a 4.57 moa adjustment with .80 to the right. This is substantially closer than it has been.
Earlier today the sig was giving me an elevation reading that was around 2-3 moa higher than the kestrel at around the same distance on both windage and elevation. The sig gave me an option to pick my bullet from a library database, which is was I did at first. I deleted that bullet profile and put all the info in from scratch and it seemed to help get holdovers a lot closer for some odd reason.

Those values aren’t to far off. It could have been the difference of the temperature sensor in the 2400. It’s inherently always reading warmer than actual temps because of the placement of the sensor and people usually have it close to the body when carrying. I’d take both instruments and your gun and find a target at any distance greater than 450 yards and shoot the dope for the Kestrel first and see what you get for impact. Then shoot the dope for the Sig and compare. Adjust the Sig in the correction and move on with life. Mine was doing the exact same thing. It was the temp sensor affecting the dope just enough to piss a guy off. I needed a little correction in the dope regardless. Now it’s money.

I use the bullet library with G7 BC values for the Kilo and it works good. I’ve never had much luck with the custom drag curves. Also you need to be checking ranges and outputs past 600 yards and have your phone hooked up to the Kilo so you can see what temp and environmentals it’s recording during these comparisons. Unfortunately the kilo only displays these when paired with your phone and you have the app open and HUD up!

Mike

OP
SneakyThunderCat
I use the bullet library with G7 BC values for the Kilo and it works good. I’ve never had much luck with the custom drag curves. Also you need to be checking ranges and outputs past 600 yards and have your phone hooked up to the Kilo so you can see what temp and environmentals it’s recording during these comparisons. Unfortunately the kilo only displays these when paired with your phone and you have the app open and HUD up!

Mike

Thanks mike. Going to check past longer ranges and see how it compares after work. Was unable to get past 400 last night at home so that’s the only example I had. I’ve been using the g7 bc plus the MV temp table data I had on my kestrel. After I remade the gun profile, things are looking better.

How much FPS per degree is your powder changing? My guess is the temperature is causing a calculated FPS change and the sensors might be off or didn’t have enough time to acclimate between the two units. But that is a fairly uneducated guess...

OP
SneakyThunderCat
How much FPS per degree is your powder changing? My guess is the temperature is causing a calculated FPS change and the sensors might be off or didn’t have enough time to acclimate between the two units. But that is a fairly uneducated guess...

The MV for the two temps I currently have is only about 10fps off of each other. I did make sure to check the enviromentals of both and they were reading very close. The sig was only reading 1 degree warmer than the kestrel, and the only other thing that was off was density altitude by about 100ft.

The MV for the two temps I currently have is only about 10fps off of each other. I did make sure to check the enviromentals of both and they were reading very close. The sig was only reading 1 degree warmer than the kestrel, and the only other thing that was off was density altitude by about 100ft.

That’s good to know, if environmentals are that consistent then we can move on to the ballistic profile data. Keep us posted on you’re testing!

Mike

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Just a follow up on the thread, I believe I know what caused my initial problem. When I first got the rangefinder, I made a profile on the sig using bullet data from the database sig provides and filled in the blanks with the data I got from my kestrel. The second time I tried making a bullet profile I used only the data from my kestrel and made a profile from scratch. The BC from the sig database did not match the BC from the box of ammo I initially set the kestrel up with, which hadn't even crossed my mind at the time. Hornady posts different BC values on different lots of factory produced ammo, which I never really paid any attention to in the past. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks again for everybody's help.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
If we are talking 2-3 MOA difference at about 400 yards, I'd kinda bet it was not a difference in BC. BC plays a relatively minor role at that distance, and differences lot-to-lot are not enough to account for 2-3 MOA. Even using a G1 BC in a G7 model (which are about a factor of 2 difference), we're only talking less than 1 MOA difference at that distance.

It doesn't really matter since your results are matching-up, I've just been following out of curiosity.

Only other thing I could think of is that the kestrel doesn’t account for angle compensation like the sig would, and maybe the compasses weren’t in tune with each other. Just spitballing though.

Those values aren’t to far off. It could have been the difference of the temperature sensor in the 2400. It’s inherently always reading warmer than actual temps because of the placement of the sensor and people usually have it close to the body when carrying. I’d take both instruments and your gun and find a target at any distance greater than 450 yards and shoot the dope for the Kestrel first and see what you get for impact. Then shoot the dope for the Sig and compare. Adjust the Sig in the correction and move on with life. Mine was doing the exact same thing. It was the temp sensor affecting the dope just enough to piss a guy off. I needed a little correction in the dope regardless. Now it’s money.

Hmmm any issues with that process? I cannot get my calibration to work... example I was 4” high at 800 yards. MV on my 7mag 2958. When I enter the correction it spits out a new MV of 4600?????

Hmmm any issues with that process? I cannot get my calibration to work... example I was 4” high at 800 yards. MV on my 7mag 2958. When I enter the correction it spits out a new MV of 4600?????

Yea I’ve had the same problem in the past getting unusually high mv. It’s been a while since I played with or edited my profiles. I believe there is an input error somewhere that your experiencing. I’ll try to play with mine this weekend to see if I can duplicate the problem and resolve it.
Dan

What calibration are you talking about?
If your talking about the drop scale? Broz suggests to leave that at zero.
Then I used sight height and mv to get the outputs to match my actual dial ups.

AZ16

FNG
I would check the units of measure on both units, your MV, and take into consideration the angle compensation.