kilo abs 2400 dope/calibrate

Picked up a sig kilo 2400 abs to go along with my new rifles. Went out and played with it today. Tried running AB custom curve and g7 with all normal data entered. The kilo's dope that it was kicking out was way off. Like 2-4 moa high depending on yardage. Was shooting out to 700 yards. I have no problem calibrating it and hopefully fixing it that way. Just was curious if most are/have ran into the same issue or if maybe something is wrong? I figured it would be off but wasnt thinking that much. Ive read else where that guys were having great luck with it being pretty on with just inputting the normal data (speed, bullet info, bc, sight height, zero yet, twist)

Thanks

In Oregon im in Terrebonne if you ever wanted to meet up.
I've read that the temp sensor is very sensitive and also takes a min to re adjust so protecting it from swings is key.
Aka dont lay it in sun or on hot surface.
Are you sure you have an accurate velocity?
Is your barrel still speeding up?
If you believe the speed you have is correct adjust you sight height up in the app and until it displays closer to what your actual dial is your getting hits with.
I had to adjust sight up .20 and fps 2 for it to align to my hits.

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Too many variables to account for to think a ballistic app/kilo will be dead nuts out of the box. You’re shooting at a good distance to validate your set up, tweak your BC to account for the elevation discrepancy and move on. Treat the kilo like you do a kestrel, it’s a weather meter, try to have it stabilized with the atmosphere prior to pulling elevations. Don’t over think it

OP
O
In Oregon im in Terrebonne if you ever wanted to meet up.
I've read that the temp sensor is very sensitive and also takes a min to re adjust so protecting it from swings is key.
Aka dont lay it in sun or on hot surface.
Are you sure you have an accurate velocity?
Is your barrel still speeding up?
If you believe the speed you have is correct adjust you sight height up in the app and until it displays closer to what your actual dial is your getting hits with.
I had to adjust sight up .20 and fps 2 for it to align to my hits.

Appreciate that. I'm down in k-falls
So not to far of a rip up 97 to ya.

We have a covered range so I think it was out of the sun, etc. Was reading hot though. Was showing 90 when it was probably 80. Will yours let you change the temp on the phone app? Mine won't...

Im pretty sure i have an accurate current velocity. Was running a magnetospeed v3 off and ob to check rifles. (It was doing the same thing for all 4 of our new ones)

Yes im sure they are still speeding up. Also why I'm checking speeds on and off.

I will have to get out and play with the seight height. Etc. I have it set at like stock 1.75 which is pretty accurate.

I was just curios to others experiences. Some say they are pretty spot on right away and others not so much.

OP
O
Too many variables to account for to think a ballistic app/kilo will be dead nuts out of the box. You’re shooting at a good distance to validate your set up, tweak your BC to account for the elevation discrepancy and move on. Treat the kilo like you do a kestrel, it’s a weather meter, try to have it stabilized with the atmosphere prior to pulling elevations. Don’t over think it

I agree. I was just wondering what others have experienced. After reading elsewhere I was getting conflicting info

Broz

WKR
That big of error at distances of only 700 yards and in screams data entry error. Something is entered wrong. Zero is off. Or velocity is off. It also could be that the optic is not tracking true to .25 moa.

Broz

WKR
That big of error at distances of only 700 yards and in screams data entry error. Something is entered wrong. Zero is off. Or velocity is off. It also could be that the optic is not tracking true to .25 moa.

I want to add, make sure you have all zero's in the "Muzzle Velocity / Temp Tables" this is a fine adjustment that can cause lots of trouble if not perfectly entered. I suggest zeroing it all out at first. In fact, I refuse to use it as the variables are huge.

OP
O

Thanka Broz. Some of your previous posts and reviews are a big part of the reason I was questioning everything.

Here's an ex. Of one of my rifles I have in the app. Both custom curve and g7.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-14-08-09-06.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-14-08-09-06.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2019-07-14-08-08-46.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-14-08-08-46.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 50

Broz

WKR
My thoughts are this.
1: Be sure the data is indeed transferring from phone to RF. I suggest only transferring 1 profile for now.

2: Again check your zero at 100 1 moa off there will stay with you at all distances.

3: Confirm muzzle velocity with a good chronograph.

4: I would use G7 Bc for now, as I have had concerns with some CD's in the past year or so.

To be 2 moa off at 700 there has to be a huge error and temp is not likely the issue.

Broz

WKR
I would question the 1.75" scope height as most are between 1.9 and 2.1 on my rifles. But that is minor and is not going to be anywhere near a 2 moa error.

Check out the
"Long range shooting and custom rifle podcast"
Episode 18 & 19.
That's where I heard about the sight height thing.
I measured mine with a caliper and moved it from 1.90 to 2.10 in the app and adjusted my fps up by 2.

Were shooting the same bullet and the same speed.

Broz

WKR
Is this an eye phone? We have a lot of issues getting data transferred with the I phones. I am beginning to feel your data is not transferring to the RF. To test. Range and object at some good distance. 700 plus. get the dial up. then change the velocity input by 100 fps and transfer that profile to the RF. Re range and see if the dial up changes. Do this all in one setting as a field test.

OP
O
Thanks everyone for the help. Maybe something is wrong for sure. I also thought the amount it was off was weird. I will get a caliper out and get exact scope height dialed in. Also will just run g7. Will load 1 profile at a time and see if anything even changes when I change profiles. Also will run your test with changing velocity. And I am running a android phone. LG g6 I believe. Maybe I got 2 bad RF haha I bought 2, 1 for my dad. Had to send the other one back right outa the box to be re programmed. Im at work for a day or 2 so wont be able to get to it till probably Monday-Tuesday. Just wanted to collect some ideas up until then. Thanks again

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I have had really good luck with mine just using the G7 for BC, MV, Bullet length, twist, sight height.

I have even gotten lazy and just used the velocities off the back of an ammo box ( nosler trophy 300WBY) and still been able to ring the plates at 800 off a stump.

OP
O
Thanks everyone for the help! Heres a little update. I was able to get out to the range today with all 4 of our new rifles. Took both kilo abs's and downloaded multiple shooting ballistic apps. Wanted to get this straightened out. The other day when I was having issues I was only using 1 of the rifles. Wanted to weed out a "bad apple" scenario so brought all 4. Started out with the 3 others. Ran calculations on everything and they all were spitting out similar numbers ( sig kilo, hornady 4dof, applied ballistics) and all 3 rifles using just the normal data entered in, no custom calibrations were pretty much spot on. Easy hits out to 700 which was all I could do at this range. Now on to the 4th.... Turns out broz was right, something was wrong... It was way off and all over the place. I couldnt figure it out. I decided it had to be a scope problem? So at the range frustrated I called Leupold. While on hold on screwing around with the rifle and notice I can move the scope.... The 20moa rail was loose from the action. I feel like an idiot but glad I found the issue. Went home and took care of it. Loktite and re torqued. I think somehow the builder just missed it. I was paranoid so I took the other 3 apart. They all had some sort of loktite ish stuff and were plenty tight. So re did those and will get back out and re check zeros and hopefully not have any more issues. Thanks again! Turns out I'm just a dummy and didnt double check everything.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help! Heres a little update. I was able to get out to the range today with all 4 of our new rifles. Took both kilo abs's and downloaded multiple shooting ballistic apps. Wanted to get this straightened out. The other day when I was having issues I was only using 1 of the rifles. Wanted to weed out a "bad apple" scenario so brought all 4. Started out with the 3 others. Ran calculations on everything and they all were spitting out similar numbers ( sig kilo, hornady 4dof, applied ballistics) and all 3 rifles using just the normal data entered in, no custom calibrations were pretty much spot on. Easy hits out to 700 which was all I could do at this range. Now on to the 4th.... Turns out bros was right, something was wrong... It was way off and all over the place. I couldnt figure it out. I decided it had to be a scope problem? So at the range frustrated I called Leupold. While on hold on screwing around with the rifle and notice I can move the scope.... The 20moa rail was loose from the action. I feel like an idiot but glad I found the issue. Went home and took care of it. Loktite and re torqued. I think somehow the builder just missed it. I was paranoid so I took the other 3 apart. They all had some sort of loktite ish stuff and were plenty tight. So re did those and will get back out and re check zeros and hopefully not have any more issues. Thanks again! Turns out I'm just a dummy and didnt double check everything.

Ha, I can only imagine the kicking my own ass would be getting after finding that out! There you go, glad you figured it out and glad it wasn’t an issue with the mark 5’s.

OP
O
Well least you found it.

Yeah im glad I did and wasn't a terribly difficult fix. Just makes me feel a little stupid. Haha I dont think i will do that again. I listened to those podcasts. Some good info! Also played around with scope height etc. Everything seems to be going much better! Thanks for the info!