Kimber 3-pos safety issue???

I have a Kimber Montana in 280ai. I can push the safety forward (to the fire position) pretty easily. But if I want move it back to the "safe" position, it seems to want to lock up. Now if I really push hard, it will move on back into position.

I also have a friend that just picked up a Kimber Hunter in 6.5cm. It was brand new in the box. He is telling me his will "NOT" move back at all into the safe position.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Is this an issue anyone else has seen.

Thanks for your time. Thought I'd see what some of you guys thought before I tear it apart or call Kimber on either of these.

Wapiti1

WKR
If it is on the first safe position only, then the safety lever detents, bolt lock plunger or both are rough and hanging up. It is also possible that the detents are cut a little deep and it takes more force to unseat the lock plunger. The last possibility is the lock plunger hole is rough or tight and the plunger is dragging in the hole. Winchester, Kimber and MRC actions can all have this issue.

Call Kimber. They should fix it with you just sending them the bolt. That said, they may say it is normal and will go away with use. The parts will eventually wear smooth, but it is annoying until they do.

Jeremy

Finn16

WKR
I looked at a new Kimber Montana at a gunshop last week and thought the safety was broken it was so hard to toggle between positions. I had looked at another Montana a few weeks prior and it wasn't like that.

Make sure it is cocked....my Montanas won't go back into the safe position once the firing pin falls until the bolt is worked and the firing pin is cocked.

Also, a bit of lube makes it easier to move the safety. A couple of drops of Breakfree CLP on top of the bolt/safety rotating is all I've ever done.