Kimber 84M and Talley Xtra Low

Kickstep

FNG
Has anyone used Talley extra low rings to scope an 84M Kimber? If so what scope? I’m curious about bolt clearance on the scope tube when cycling the action. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I think you are more likely to run into issues with the ocular clearing the base itself, unless the tube is long enough to push the scope back far enough to clear and you are ok with the subsequent eye relief. I went with lows with a Leupold FX-II 2.5x20.

If you're considering the lightweight alloys, do some research. A few weeks ago, on another shooting forum, there was a thread about a bunch of guys who have recently experienced failures with them. Most had significant cracks and I believe some just shattered.

I've never used them, so no personal experience.

Jbehredt

WKR
I had to use mediums to clear the bolt with a 2-10 razor HD LH. The bell cleared with lows but as mentioned, the bolt did not. I could cycle it deliberately to avoid contact but when throwing it they would rub.

OMB

WKR
Has anyone used Talley extra low rings to scope an 84M Kimber? If so what scope? I’m curious about bolt clearance on the scope tube when cycling the action. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just put a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 on an 84M Montana and the bolt just barely clears the eyepiece with Medium height rings. Would doubt low or Xlow would work.

HNTR918

WKR
I had to use mediums to clear the bolt with a 2-10 razor HD LH. The bell cleared with lows but as mentioned, the bolt did not. I could cycle it deliberately to avoid contact but when throwing it they would rub.
My bolt cycles just fine and doesn't hit my LHT eye piece housing.

mthayr

WKR
Chalk another up to Med Talley rings - Leupy VX-5HD with 42mm obj. Might possibly be able to sneak the lows if the scope was far forward enough, but definitely not X-Lows.

gfb0904

FNG
I'm late to the game here, but wanted to weigh-in anyway. I have Tally extra lows on a Kimber 84M 308 (Montana) with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8, and a Kimber 8400 300 WSM (Mountain Ascent) with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10. The bolts on both rifles easily clear the scopes without issue. I actually have the Leupold Alumina lens covers on both scopes, adding a bit more length to each scope, and the bolts still work fine.

VernAK

WKR
I've got X lows on an 84L with 6x36 Leupold and the bolt handle shank will just touch the scope when cycling the bolt to the rear. I relieved the bolt handle shank a bit with my belt grinder.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You could probably go extra low if you are using a 36mm scope. I have a 2.5-8x36 leupold on my 84m with low rings and I could definetly go lower.

One thing to note is the Montana stock is very straight with very little drop at comb or heel. Extra lows might make it more difficult to quickly pick up your sight picture through the scope, depending on your face. I like the lows on my three Montana’s that have 33 and 36mm Leupold’s on them.

Switched out the Extra Lows to Lows on my 84 M with Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x scope. Bolt handle would clear the scope if run carefully, but would rub slightly if worked hard. It still worked fine, but I didn't like the contact.