Kimber aint cutting it. looking for something new

I’ve had horrible luck with the Superformance ammunition in all 3 of my Kimber’s, but I’ve also had great success in everything that I’ve shot the Barnes TTSX ammo out of. Might be worth trying some.
Allow me to second that ! I have a Kimber Montana and Tikka superlight, both in 308 that shoot the same 165 TSX's equally as well ( which is 1/2" to 200 yds on any occasion that I can shoot that well) Superformance ammo I've NEVER had shoot well for me in ANY rifle I've tried it in, SST's are "bombs" anyhow

So I really wanted my Kimber 84M classic in .308 to work out. I had a goal to shoot 1 MOA out to 400 yards. It will shoot 1MOA from a lead sled at 100 yards. I have not been able to keep that consistency out to 300 yards. I cant send it back to Kimber, because technically it meets their accuracy warranty standards. I have decided that I just can't shoot a rifle that light accurately. I am thinking about picking up a Christianson Arms Mesa in 6.5 creedmore. has anyone had any experience with these rifles?
I haven't and won't shoot or carry ANY wood stocked rifle to hunt - I am a 2nd career carpenter and wannabe finish carpenter meaning I TRULY LOVE nice wood in ANY venue or pursuit but composite stocks are in the same class as stainless steel, they are simply more functional, more stable, stronger and more accepting of a shooter's personal whims - there are still a lot of people who have 2 stocks for many or all of their rifles, ONE to hunt with and ONE to show it off with - If someone develops a "better" bullet, primer or powder we'll use it willingly, the newest scopes are all the rage, why not with other advancements for our guns as well ?

Never were truer words spoken than what you just said WITH the exception of "trigger pull" - IMHO, IF your rifle will slam fire at 1.5 lb then 1.75 lb is just too darn close to that for a hunting rifle - 2.5 is even marginal IMO, 3.0 is perfect - Kimbers have a very nice trigger in comparison to many - PRACTICE can make a shooter proficient with virtually
any trigger IF you are not trying to shoot too many different guns all with differing triggers - But again, you are spot on about the rest of your points

Trust me I get what you’re saying - at 1.5lbs I had to literally SLAM the bolt closed as hard as I could to get it to happen, it wasn’t just “closing the bolt hard”.

16Bore

WKR
Underthink what you’re overthinking and it’ll all work out.

It’s just shooting. Plain and simple.

And 99% of it is in your noggin....

OP
B

BXB77

FNG
Alot of folks have mentioned using different ammo, others just said I cant shoot for shit. Not sure if I can fix the latter, but let me ask you this. The ammo I am using now will group 1" at 100 yards. Should I expect that accuracy at further ranges all things being equal. (ie 2" @ 200 yard, 3" at 300 yards) Is it possible for a round to loose accuracy exponentially at further distances?

16Bore

WKR
MOA = MOA

Parallax, wind, and voodoo come into play as you stretch things.

neverquit

WKR
I shot this group at 500yards last weekend with my ca ridgeline in 300winmag. It’s the only group I shot but this rifle / load shoots hole in hole at 100. Typically. 57A3271F-19C4-401D-BBC4-EDC681D3A19A.jpeg

rayporter

WKR
count me in with the 'ditch the sled' group

holding the scope it not a good thing.

lock the rifle down in the bags and gently lay your finger on the objective and watch the movement of the cross hairs. with a high power scope you can see inches of movement at 200 yd. with a gentle squeeze of a forefinger and your thumb.

16Bore

WKR
My understanding also is that the sled puts a bit of stress on the wrist of the stock. Which ain’t too kosher for Montana stocks.

It would pay huge dividends to spend a lot of time shooting 75’s in a 223 at distances you hunt. It’ll show you everything you’re doing wrong....and right.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Alot of folks have mentioned using different ammo, others just said I cant shoot for shit. Not sure if I can fix the latter, but let me ask you this. The ammo I am using now will group 1" at 100 yards. Should I expect that accuracy at further ranges all things being equal. (ie 2" @ 200 yard, 3" at 300 yards) Is it possible for a round to loose accuracy exponentially at further distances?

Moa isn't moa at further ranges. Velocity spreads and other variances are amplified at distance. I second trying that federal gold medal ammo but honestly I got rid of more than 1 rifle because I didn't have faith in it. Once I have it in my head that a certain rifle isn't my best option its going down the road.

really like stats in college.

And if I screw this up someone who deals in stats on a day in day out basis chime in

i think smallest sample size to be used finding the margin of error from the mean at a 90% confidence interval would be 7.

I had to dig soil pits for a study that entailed human impact on the environment on a specific piece of Lake Superior shoreline and this equation came into play. Didn't want to dig anymore pits then necessary.

I don't have a smart enough smart phone to write out the equation but I'm sure google will find it.

Shoot a 7 shot group at 100, then another 7 further away. 350 would be ideal...

fun to bust out the ol thinking drinking brain compartment stuff.

My guess is they'll overlay pretty closely.

Last edited:
Es of 50 should give a 1/6.5th moa variance to aggregate group size at 350 yards. Obviously depending on bc and velocity.. assumption is a .4bc at 2850

there are more "things" in play than can be described in "groups" at distance - a lot more experienced shooters than me (by a far shot) say that to 400 yds a flat based bullet is more stable … there's a Rokslide member who knows volumes more than most of us (he'll see this post I'd imagine) He says, with experience and knowledge of thousands of rounds downrange, that 10 shot groups show what is needed to know -

Whats up with the "quotes" on hundreds of shots??? Are you saying I'm full of shit? If you would have read all the post you would see I only shot it from a sled to make sure it would shoot MOA. I have shot approximately 9 boxes of shells through it on bags. What I really wanted out of this post was some info on the CA Mesa.
SHEEESH ! Lighten up Frances ! that's not what I was saying at all ! cumulative effects of recoil on stock and rifle parts is what I was insinuating …...

eamyrick

WKR
I’ve shot a ton of bolt rifles, got paid to do it for a while. I’ve also seen a lot of folks shoot very nice bolt guns. I am not a great shooter. I would be perfectly happy with the group you posted from that rifle. Don’t get fooled by the internet. Very few people can consistently throw down 1 moa groups (5-10 rounds) all day at 400, especially with a sub 10lb hunting rifle.

OP
B

BXB77

FNG
Finally made up my mind and ordered a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 creedmore. Any suggestions for factory ammo?

Sled

WKR
Finally made up my mind and ordered a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 creedmore. Any suggestions for factory ammo?

most of my 6.5's have shot well with everything i've put through them. hunting or target? do you want copper bullets or lead?

OP
B

BXB77

FNG
most of my 6.5's have shot well with everything i've put through them. hunting or target? do you want copper bullets or lead?
Copper or lead doesn't matter much to me as long as they are good hunting bullets