Kimber Customer Service/Quality

sveltri

WKR
Maybe this is just a "one off" situation, but have any of you dealt with them? My buddy bought a new Mountain Ascent in 280 AI and mounted a Swaro scope on it. Took it to the range and ran out of windage adjustment. He took it to a very knowledgeable guy to try to help figure out what was going on and discovered that the scope mount holes are drilled out of alignment. They are out enough that when you place a 3' straight edge on the screws it runs off the end of the barrel. They contact Kimber and get it sent in for inspection and tell him they'll get a new gun out to him. Well they sent his gun back and say there is nothing wrong, he takes it to the store he bought it from and they confirm there is an alignment issue. I guess their next step is to get the factory rep involved although I'm not sure how he'll help. Anyone else have any issues like this with Kimber.

I have never had scope base screw issues, but between me and my father we have 7 montanas, and have had several problems with them, mostly accuracy issues. We have started calling it Kimber roullette, sometimes you get a good one that shoots and sometimes you don't. luckily we have the equipment and skills to make them shoot and have done so, but all of our dealings with Kimber have ended poorly. Their 1 MOA gaurantee is a joke, if they can get 1 MOA with any factory load then they say its good enough regardless if that particular loading is rediculous or not. I think it was my fathers 308 montana that he sent back (wich is always our first step before starting to cut on them) it shot poorly with almost everything we tried in it so he sent it back and they found some factory load with 168 ! grain target bullets bullets that shot well and sent it back saying it was "within specification" well it doesnt take a genious to figure out that 168 grain target bullets are not practical for mountain hunters. Don't get me wrong I still think that Kimber makes one of the finest production mountain rifles out there and I probably will not stop buying them, but sometimes they do take some work to get them to shoot good and their customer service has been less than stellar.
BTW a new crown seems to fix most of them, if not that then bedding works well too. I have no idea what to do in your situation. I guess you could get the hole filled, drilled, tapped and refinished but that would probably be pretty costly. I don't know what kind of rings/bases you are using but have you tried flipping them around backwards. I have known that to make quite a bit of difference in zero. Maybe that will give your friend enough leeway to at least get sighted in. Unfortunatley your situation where they said there is nothing wrong with it, is very very familiar to me.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I hate to laugh but seriously? Man, I have handled plenty of Kimbers and even shot a few and love everything about them for a light weight mountain rifle but then continually read things like this and talk myself out of buying one. It'd be one thing if their customer service was worth a damn but again it seems to be consistently poor reviews about their customer service as well. Hope they get you straightened out and taken care of in the end. Just hard to believe they charge what they do for these guns and crap like this is all too common...

How does it even make it out of the factory like that!? Maybe they should implement drug/alcohol testing and no rifles built on Mondays or Fridays?

204guy

WKR
That sucks. Kimbers customer service is well known, and not for the right reasons. If Kimber won't step up you have a couple options. You could have a smith open them up to 8-40 to get better alignment. Burris signatures with the inserts would be an option. Leupold windage bases another.

hodgeman

WKR
I dealt with Kimber CS one time...never again. They are sort of legendarily bad in that regard.

That said- misaligned mounting holes isn't exactly an uncommon problem from a variety of makers over the years. It's the reason that the "Redfield" system of scope mounting exists. Horizontal misalignment is corrected by the opposing screws on the rear base while the front is a dovetail that can swivel. It's not the most elegant system...but it works and has been around for decades. Leupold's "Standard" bases and rings are the Redfield type.

I'd save the heartburn and just roll with them rather than go through Kimber for resolution.

OP
S

sveltri

WKR
Thanks for the replies fellas, sounds like he needs to keep his wallet open to get this gun where it needs to be.

FURMAN

WKR
I am in the same boat as the other posters. On paper the guns looks great but when you have, at best, a 50/50 shot of getting a good one then pile on poor customer service I still can not believe people are purchasing them. Every time I am around one I think about how nice they feel but then I read stuff like this. I will pass. Sorry about your buddies luck. I hope you get it sorted out.

I would maybe play roulette with a new one but I sure as shit would not buy a used one without shooting it first.

RAAK

FNG
I bought an Adirondack last year. The chamber was so tight I could barely close the bolt on a round. I called Kimber, sent it in, and they sent it back after reaming the chamber. I bedded it, shaved some material off the magazine box, and installed a Leupold FX3 6x42 in Talley lightweights. It is the best shooting rifle I own. I don't measure groups but it will put 3 rounds touching at 100 yards. It sucks I had to send it back before I shot it but I have zero complaints about their customer service.

I don't necessarily consider myself a lucky person (I say this because I've been putting in for a particular sheep tag here in AK for over 20 years and have never drawn), but I'm a 3 time winner when it comes to Kimber rifles and I'll know in a couple days whether or not I'll be a 4 time winner. Good luck with your Subalpine.

WRO

WKR
I've never understood the love for Kimbers, the only thing consistent from my experience, is that their Customer service sucks. Some of them shoot awesome, some are complete shitboxes. For what they cost, they should all be nuts on accurate and have great QC coming out of the factory. Somehow Tikka and savage manage to make rifles that consistently shoot, for 1/3 the cost. Granted both of them are only slightly more attractive than Rosie O'donnel. IMHO, buying a Kimber is like picking up prostitutes in Thailand, at some point you will be severely dissapointed..

Hall256

WKR
Damn, this is one the most depressing conversations I have seen in awhile. I have been eyeing the Subalpine for a little bit now, now I might want to reconsider that. If this thread was like most on here, where it is evenly split between those that love and those that hate a product I wouldn't second guess. However when the majority say the same thing that is pretty bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

For those re-considering a kimber purchase, look into the Legendary Arms rifles. they are not as light for sure, but for a similar price they will shoot and the action is very well designed. and if anyone wants to ship me their old kimbers, Im getting pretty good at making them shoot :p
actually several of the montanas that my father has, he got for a steal from people who just couldn't get them to shoot. He has one in 260 that seriously shot 2 inch groups. re-crowned the barrel, full length bedded the stock, and started shooting triple shocks seated "way" off the lands. now it drives tacks. Each one is a mystery but they can be made to shoot. Incidentaly I have one in 338 federal and it shot great right out of the box, and shoots most load combinations well and consistantly. It's the only one we haven't had to mess with.

ams

WKR
I get to pick up a mountain ascent 280ai in two weeks. Used. I don't really have any issues or fears about it. On another note I looked at a legendary arms works professional in 280ai. I learned they have discontinued those rifles due to issues and accuracy. This info came straight from them. They will provide support if you come across one. The 280ai I had in my hands was defective. I looked down the barrel and could see the sight bases were off. The front sight was canted to the right.......it led to a not so pleasant experience with an employee at sportmans warehouse. I guess issue can happen with any company and or gun. My coworkers tikka 7mm, which I suggested he buy, can't shoot a 3 shot group. First two are fine, third is off. He is sending it in for repair. If my kimber is defective I have full confidence they will fix it, but for some reason I think it will be just fine.

FURMAN

WKR
ams, I think you missed the start of the thread. The OP has an obvious issue that Kimber will not correct.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Customer service earns my business. I'm in the market for several rifles and will not be purchasing new Kimbers due to the consistency of shitty reports of quality control and most importantly their lousy reputation caring for the customer. My hard earned dollars will go to a company willing to earn my business with a quality product at a fair price with premium customer service.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I had a 300WSM Montana years ago that I wasn't happy with. I called them and they sent me an RMA to print and send the rifle off on their dime. I had it back with a new barrel and a test target in a few weeks. They even called me and said there were some scratches on the stock (my fault) and they'd replace it for pretty cheap. I declined that. That's my only experience with them and I was very pleased. I'm sure they'll make it right.

My worst, actually my only BAD, experience with a gun company CS dept was with a Sako Kodiak 375HH (Sako makes Tikka BTW) and dealing with Beretta USA (who imports both). The rifle would eject brass straight up into the scope and fall back down 100% of the time. Absolutely unacceptable for a dangerous game rifle. They basically told me the issue was normal and designed that way and they would not do anything for it. After asking for a manager or someone else i was hung up on. If it tells you anything, Sportsmans Warehouse refunded the rifle because they were aware of the issue and said that was the second one they accepted back for refund. Those are the only two refunds the manager had EVER done on firearms. I guess is is normal afterall LOL.

WRO

WKR
I get to pick up a mountain ascent 280ai in two weeks. Used. I don't really have any issues or fears about it. On another note I looked at a legendary arms works professional in 280ai. I learned they have discontinued those rifles due to issues and accuracy. This info came straight from them. They will provide support if you come across one. The 280ai I had in my hands was defective. I looked down the barrel and could see the sight bases were off. The front sight was canted to the right.......it led to a not so pleasant experience with an employee at sportmans warehouse. I guess issue can happen with any company and or gun. My coworkers tikka 7mm, which I suggested he buy, can't shoot a 3 shot group. First two are fine, third is off. He is sending it in for repair. If my kimber is defective I have full confidence they will fix it, but for some reason I think it will be just fine.
They discontinued the professional, now the remaining models are 2500+.

I'd buy a law, then take it to my smith immediately for a diagnosis..

they're a nice box of parts..

ams

WKR
I'm derailing.....
I still like the laws and my sportmans still has a few. I'm hoping they drop them lower. I would pick one up and do as you said. The stocks are great and the action is pretty interesting.