Kimber Hunter 280AI

Pettit877

FNG
I’ve been looking at a Kimber Hunter in 280AI. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this rifle and how the accuracy is, this would be my first light weight rifle and understand there is a bit of a learning curve. Any issues with feeding from the box magazine? I understand the stock is not the best but I have handled many other stocks far worst that the stock on the hunter and it seems to fit me very well.

Eric

700MtnMan

FNG
I don't have experience with the hunter but I do have the 280 AI in the Kimber sub alpine, shoots great and a joy to carry through the mountains. I have not experienced any feeding issues with it.

WKR
I have one and I never had any trouble with feeding from the mag. I tried 145lrx with mutliple different powders but my rifle never like them. I settled on 143 hammers at mag length and RL26 with mine. The hammers shot much better then the lrx and I was able to get a sub moa round with that light rifle.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I actually think it’s pretty damn good stock wise, considering what it is. The forestock is quite stiff. I mean it isn’t carbon fiber, but I really don’t mind it personally.

I haven’t had feeding issues the the Hunter mag - but you’re right, shooting it takes a little paying attention. Mine is plenty accurate, but I have to do my part.....I love carrying it, that’s for sure!

I actually love my Hunter, I was originally and still am after a Montana but came into my Hunter for a price I couldn't pass up. While I am not crazy about the box magazine concept, thus far my apprehensions have been unfounded and I haven't had a single issue with the feed system. The magazine locks in tight with no rattle. As for the stock, this was another area that I turned my nose up in concept but again has proved to be quite excellent given the rifles purpose and price point. She shoulders and carries great. The forehand is plenty stiff for a hunting rig. Mine is in 6.5 man-bun and shoots under an moa with several factory loads. I am not set up to handload 6.5 but am sure that there is a little room for improvement.
All in all I have been extremely happy with the rifle and have no plans on sending it down the road. While a nice high end kimber mountain rifle is on the wish list, based on my experience with Kimber's "entry" level gun. It's hard for me to justify spending twice the coin for the minimal actual levels of performance that would be gained.
I have told several of my close friends that the Kimber is everything I love about the Ruger M77 and Winchester M70(longtime fan of both) but with a modern take and a healthy diet.