Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor - Let the Project Begin!

Chopped mine with a hacksaw. Squared it up with a bastard file and cut a crown with a deburring reloading tool.

3rd time done it to a rifle and results have not been worse then factory crown.

mt100gr.

WKR
Chopped mine with a hacksaw. Squared it up with a bastard file and cut a crown with a deburring reloading tool.

3rd time done it to a rifle and results have not been worse then factory crown.
Nice! I can see myself doing this to my kimber hunter. Might as well make it how I want it and see how she goes. I'll probably leave 1/2 inch extra in case I decide to sell it and send it off with a "proper " tip. Got any pictures of your gunsmithin'?

It looks bad. That said you can do it nice. The first 2 came out really nice with lapping compound on a brass screw head.

was gonna have a smith cut and crown it at 18.5 when he threaded it.. but it shot 162gr eld-m one big 5 shot hole and had a one grain node close to max loads that I gave up on that course of action.

mt100gr.

WKR
Brilliant!! A little Hoppes and it popped right out! 20190316_091235.jpg

Mine was 6.15 ounces. Took all of 10 minutes.

Looks exactly like what brno 284 on 24 hour campfire did to a Kimber Hunter in 7-08. He is a local gunsmith and builds accurate rifles, but sure likes his Hunter. I handled it at the Wild Sheep Society of BC convention last weekend and it felt just like my Montana 7-08. The following is cut and pasted from a thread "Thoughts on Kimber Hunter" under the Hunting Rifle area:

"On the Kimber Hunter remove the butt pad and pull out the rubber sound softening material mine weighed 7oz. I also shortened the foreend an inch and cut the barrel to 20"
The rifle is a dream to carry, balances on the front guard screw and points perfectly. Also bedded it and shot it with a fresh cost of paint so it doesnt look like a modified rifle.. My hunter is now 3 ounces lighter than a Montana in 7mm-08 and that includes the Talley 1" rings.

Its shooting 120 TTSX's into .463" @ 100 yards and 3180fps."

Last edited by brno284; 11/29/18.

424hunter

FNG
Looks exactly like what brno 284 on 24 hour campfire did to a Kimber Hunter in 7-08. He is a local gunsmith and builds accurate rifles, but sure likes his Hunter. I handled it at the Wild Sheep Society of BC convention last weekend and it felt just like my Montana 7-08. The following is cut and pasted from a thread "Thoughts on Kimber Hunter" under the Hunting Rifle area:

"On the Kimber Hunter remove the butt pad and pull out the rubber sound softening material mine weighed 7oz. I also shortened the foreend an inch and cut the barrel to 20"
The rifle is a dream to carry, balances on the front guard screw and points perfectly. Also bedded it and shot it with a fresh cost of paint so it doesnt look like a modified rifle.. My hunter is now 3 ounces lighter than a Montana in 7mm-08 and that includes the Talley 1" rings.

Its shooting 120 TTSX's into .463" @ 100 yards and 3180fps."

Last edited by brno284; 11/29/18.

Found the post you referred too, great ideas, thanks!!!!!

mt100gr.

WKR
Did you have to cut or pry the cap off the pistol grip?? If I can get that out I'm gonna make my goal,,

After pulling the filler out of the stock, I noticed some hoppes leaking out of the pistol grip cap. I didn't know it was a separate piece but the cap popped right off when I got under the edge of it with a screwdriver. Looks like it will have to be glued back on as there are no clips, clicks, or catches. No big deal.

To get the material in the pistol grip moving I reached in from to butt end with my screwdriver and lifted up through the gap in there where the material had been.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Well I'll be damn, got the whole piece of gel to come out at once, a long skinny flat head screwdriver, half a bottle of Hoppes # 9 oil. And Bam! 6.7oz goneView attachment 92228View attachment 92229
Well you sir get the Houdini award! Wish I would have thought of that a year ago. I'm might need to go spelunking in the grip now.

Only trick is that I might need to touch up my paint job when I'm done.

424hunter

FNG
Couple questions for you;
Was that the Hopes #9 bore cleaner you used? Also, did you just dump it from the butt end? Did you reattach the grip cap yet...how did that go?

Hoppes #9 gun oil, I guess any lube oil would work, used a long skinny flat head and work it around the inside of the stock with the screwdriver between the stock and gel, I kept adding the oil as i worked the screw driver around. Then I jammed a bigger flat head in the center of the gel and gently pulled the whole piece out of the stock.. mt100gr did the same thing and mentioned he noticed oil coming out of the pistol grip cap and pried the cap off, so the oil leaked through the void. I did the same thing, the oil sat over night and the filler gel just slipped right out.

As for reattaching the pistol grip cap I'm just leaving it off (3.3grams). Now on to the Ti hardwear, for a few extra bucks I'm sure I can cut another 2ounces or so.. Don't think I'm going to cut the barrel or stock down just yet, that might a next winter project.

BigWoods I owe it to you, I was scratching my head trying to figure how to cut weight until I found your post.. So thank you Sir!!!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Now I want a hunter tonuse as a project gun, I already have some Talley low rings for another kimber and a vx3i 2.5-8 sitting here...

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Hoppes #9 gun oil, I guess any lube oil would work, used a long skinny flat head and work it around the inside of the stock with the screwdriver between the stock and gel, I kept adding the oil as i worked the screw driver around. Then I jammed a bigger flat head in the center of the gel and gently pulled the whole piece out of the stock.. mt100gr did the same thing and mentioned he noticed oil coming out of the pistol grip cap and pried the cap off, so the oil leaked through the void. I did the same thing, the oil sat over night and the filler gel just slipped right out.

As for reattaching the pistol grip cap I'm just leaving it off (3.3grams). Now on to the Ti hardwear, for a few extra bucks I'm sure I can cut another 2ounces or so.. Don't think I'm going to cut the barrel or stock down just yet, that might a next winter project.

BigWoods I owe it to you, I was scratching my head trying to figure how to cut weight until I found your post.. So thank you Sir!!!
Glad I could help! I figured I'd log it here so others could follow.

I've said it before in this thread, but if all that has a person debating between the Hunter and Montana is weight, that is easily spanned with a little tinkering.

424hunter

FNG
Glad I could help! I figured I'd log it here so others could follow.

I've said it before in this thread, but if all that has a person debating between the Hunter and Montana is weight, that is easily spanned with a little tinkering.

I really had my eye on the Mt Ascent, but couldn't stomach the price tag. A really good deal came up on my Hunter I couldn't pass. I'm glad I bought because I've learned a lot and having fun...

Lurker here with Intel: some fellas in Oregon are fond of taking hollow Tikka stocks and filling them with plastic grocery sacks for noise reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk