Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor - Let the Project Begin!

Sled

WKR
Bumping the old thread to ask if anyone in this thread regrets cutting down the barrel or pulling weight out of the back end of the stock? I'm considering changing my tikka plans to kimber when I remembered this thread. The Adirondack is tempting but pricy. The stock on the mtn ascent/Adirondack is nice as well but even the new ones in the store were missing parts of their pattern just from store handling. I'm thinking a little paint with matte clear coat will make a plastic hunter outlast the Sitka dipping.

So, my thought is to cut the barrel down to 16-18" and thread 1/2-28 for a 13oz silencerco harvester. Not sure if I'd unbalance the gun by pulling nearly half a pound out of the stock and adding the suppressor? Any thoughts from those of you that have handled these project kimbers?

Last edited:
OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Bumping the old thread to ask if anyone in this thread regrets cutting down the barrel or pulling weight it of the back end of the stock? I'm considering changing my tikka plans to kimber when I remembered this thread. The Adirondack is tempting but pricy. The stock on the mtn ascent/Adirondack is nice as well but even the new ones in the store were missing parts of their pattern just from store handling. I'm thinking a little paint with matte clear coat will make a plastic hunter outlast the Sitka dipping.

So,my thought is to cut the barrel down to 16-18" and thread 1/2-28 for a 13oz harvester. Not sure if I'd unbalance the gun by pulling nearly half a pound out of the stock? Any thoughts from those of you that have handled these project kimbers?
No regrets here! Just removing the silicone makes it barrel heavy, but with the barrel chop (19"), it balances out really well.

I just carried mine for 7hrs today deer hunting with no sling and never once thought the gun was too heavy or imbalanced.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ ditto- shortened mine to 19" (.308) and removed all the silicone stuff; lighter AND more handy in hand (as well as on the pack)- pleasure to pack around :)

Buzby

WKR
What a great thread! I’ve always thought the kimber hunter was underrated. Seeing how much weight can easily be removed, makes it an outstanding rifle. You guys are getting damn close to my subalpine weight for significantly less $.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Somewhat off topic but does anyone know what height Talley Lightweights to mount an SWFA ultralight on a hunter? Not sure whether to go with low or medium.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Leupold 2-7x33 Firedot (30mm tube) used lows with no problem; might want to compare the specs from it to your SWFA

Reactions: wyo
Get lows for sure.
I just bought a Kimber Hunter 6.5 creed and used Talley Medium mounts for my Leuopold VX3 3.5x10 x40 the scope sits PERFECT for a good 'cheek weld'. I'm not sure that low mounts would allow a 40 mm scope to clear the barrel...

Cojo1489

FNG
Is it necessary to cut down the front action screw in all M84 Hunters? Looking to get a little more accuracy out of mine and just wondering if this is the cause?

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Is it necessary to cut down the front action screw in all M84 Hunters? Looking to get a little more accuracy out of mine and just wondering if this is the cause?
Didn't need to on mine. If I remember right, I believe you can shine a light into the action with the bolt out and see if it is making contact with the barrel. Mine wasn't

Didn't need to on mine. If I remember right, I believe you can shine a light into the action with the bolt out and see if it is making contact with the barrel. Mine wasn't
I had no action screw issues on my Montana either. Kimber is checking a lot of boxes these days that’s for sure.

Bringing this up to the top to see if anyone has done any stiffening of the factory stock while still keeping it light weight?

The fore end on my rifle will sometimes sit to one side or the other depending on how it's been sitting. Anyone channel outthe fore end and add a piece of aluminum to stiffen it up?

jpndave

FNG
This one needed to come over a little. First photo shows the arrow shafts after the first epoxy and filled with lightweight epoxy in the 2nd.

Kimber Arrow.jpgKimber Filled.jpg