Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor - Let the Project Begin!

kad11

WKR
I'm joining the ULW Kimber Hunter club - 18" 6.5 CM with Talley lows, SWFA ultralight, Butler Creek caps, and Amazon cheapo bubble level. I still need to sew up a sling which will add a few ounces.
IMG_20220113_213801611.jpg

I removed the stock and grip filler, added grocery bags back in to dampen the hollow sound a bit, and then cut 4" off the barrel (-3.5 oz).

Here are some pics of the barrel chop. This was my first time cutting a barrel and it was no problem - I wouldn't hesitate to do it yourself if you're interested. I think I should probably find a bigger brass bolt to widen and deepen the crown, but I'll probably shoot it first and go from there...

24 tpi hacksaw blade
IMG_20220113_202732759.jpg

Smooth and debur the barrel face and edge with bastard file
IMG_20220113_203328531.jpg

Finish with 600 sandpaper, permatex valve lapping compound and brass bolt
IMG_20220113_205250346.jpg

New vs old crown
IMG_20220113_210951683.jpg

Shorter barrel perspective
IMG_20220113_211908938.jpg

KyleR1985

WKR
I'm joining the ULW Kimber Hunter club - 18" 6.5 CM with Talley lows, SWFA ultralight, Butler Creek caps, and Amazon cheapo bubble level. I still need to sew up a sling which will add a few ounces.
View attachment 367590

I removed the stock and grip filler, added grocery bags back in to dampen the hollow sound a bit, and then cut 4" off the barrel (-3.5 oz).

Here are some pics of the barrel chop. This was my first time cutting a barrel and it was no problem - I wouldn't hesitate to do it yourself if you're interested. I think I should probably find a bigger brass bolt to widen and deepen the crown, but I'll probably shoot it first and go from there...

24 tpi hacksaw blade
View attachment 367591

Smooth and debur the barrel face and edge with bastard file
View attachment 367592

Finish with 600 sandpaper, permatex valve lapping compound and brass bolt
View attachment 367593

New vs old crown
View attachment 367594

Shorter barrel perspective
View attachment 367595

Update us with shooting results!

mt100gr.

WKR
Yep, for sure. I've got 129 gr Hornady American Whitetail Interlocks coming. I'll hopefully get to shoot it within the next month or so.
Do be sure to post how it likes that ammo. Our kimbers are almost identical - same EVERYTHING except I took another inch off my barrel (DIY, documented earlier in this thread)

I'm just getting going on loading the 130eldm in mine. It did pretty well with the factory 129sst which I have found to be a devastating bullet! I haven't played with it in a while but this winter I'm going to work it out.

kad11

WKR
Do be sure to post how it likes that ammo. Our kimbers are almost identical - same EVERYTHING except I took another inch off my barrel (DIY, documented earlier in this thread)

I'm just getting going on loading the 130eldm in mine. It did pretty well with the factory 129sst which I have found to be a devastating bullet! I haven't played with it in a while but this winter I'm going to work it out.
Yeah, I've had my eye out for one for a few years since seeing what @BigWoods and you were able to do. I don't reload so have to take what I can get, unfortunately.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah, I've had my eye out for one for a few years since seeing what @BigWoods and you were able to do. I don't reload so have to take what I can get, unfortunately.
Well, if it's any consolation, this was supposed to be the rifle I didn't handload for. I really wanted to find a factory offering that worked well and just buy ammo for it. Then I started messing around and whittling on it, put it back in the safe and now with ammo so scarce, I am going to see what I can work up.
Back when I could buy as much off the shelf as I wanted, I figured once I had it dialed, I'd buy a couple hundred and call it good for a while....and here we are.

All: what, if any, specific poundage are you guys using for the action screw torque on your hunters? I'm literally going thru my notes right now and catching myself up where I left off. The powder scale is warming up!! Thanks!

jpndave

FNG
All: what, if any, specific poundage are you guys using for the action screw torque on your hunters? I'm literally going thru my notes right now and catching myself up where I left off. The powder scale is warming up!! Thanks!
Mine tends to walk/string impacts just slightly side to side until I get the front screw over 50 in/lbs. I set the rear a little bit less than the front.

Last edited:
OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I can't say I shot a lot of different factory loads, but at least in my gun the 129gr American Whitetails worked very well (as documented earlier in this thread). When I was working up my handloads with the 129gr interlock bullet (which is cheap, readily available) I incidentally replicated the factory load as far as velocity goes. I'm sure guys shooting 3-400yards out west might want to wring out even more accuracy but these are more than good in Norther New England's timber cuts.

I've said it before, but I'm pumped that this thread is still inspiring budget featherweight rifles! (Maybe Kimber should give me some sort of discount after all the rifles sold from this thread :cool:...Then again their Carbon stocks might be taking a hit.)

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
@BigWoods, I’ll give you some more proof to show Kimber to help get you that discount.
-7mm-08, chopped the barrel to 18.5”
-pulled out the gel from the stock
-Ti bolt handle
-3-9x40 Leopold VX-2 in Talley LW rings
-painted the stock
fdbfdd0aad308a4a9bc0d0c68665ee4f.jpg

d2c366a5f402b25a644a155815ddf6e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleR1985

WKR
@BigWoods, I’ll give you some more proof to show Kimber to help get you that discount.
-Ti bolt handle
-painted the stock

I have the 7-08. How does it shoot? Call me crazy, but I’m considering chopping down to 16.5”….

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
-Ti bolt handle
-painted the stock

Man I love that paint job you did!

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
@BigWoods, thanks!

@KyleR1985, it's the lightest gun I own, and I shoot it like a light gun. When I am on my game, it likes Nosler 140 gr BT and can shoot them .75-1 MOA. If I am not on my game, groups open up. I am learning to reload, so this winter I am working on making less expensive ammo to get plenty of trigger time this summer. It's such a great gun to carry, it's worth it to me to learn to shoot it better.

sargent

WKR
I just got my own Kimber Hunter in .308. I'm going to shoot it stock first, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut the barrel down a bit. I'm still on the fence about taking out the gel since I'm somewhat sensitive to recoil and I don't want the gun to be too light. Anyone shoot their's with and without the gel? How much difference in recoil?

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I just got my own Kimber Hunter in .308. I'm going to shoot it stock first, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut the barrel down a bit. I'm still on the fence about taking out the gel since I'm somewhat sensitive to recoil and I don't want the gun to be too light. Anyone shoot their's with and without the gel? How much difference in recoil?
I shot my 6.5 creedmoor with and without the gel. It certainly recoils more without that 8oz in it, but I do a lot more carrying in hand than actually shooting my rifle so it's worth it. Assuming your scope is around 10 oz, maybe you could shoot it without your scope on for an idea of how it would feel?

KyleR1985

WKR
What's everyone doing for scopes on this build? I'm probably chopping to at least 18" on my 7mm-08. I may even go shorter. Given that, it's probably a 300 yard deer (way beyond my current humble capabilities) and 200 yard elk gun.

What sets me up well for 50-200yd shots and sticks with the theme of keeping this package lightweight?

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyone doing for scopes on this build? I'm probably chopping to at least 18" on my 7mm-08. I may even go shorter. Given that, it's probably a 300 yard deer (way beyond my current humble capabilities) and 200 yard elk gun.

What sets me up well for 50-200yd shots and sticks with the theme of keeping this package lightweight?

I have a Leupold VX-II on mine and it fits the light weight theme pretty well. I would be very comfortable shooting out to 300 with that scope.
My buddy picked up a fixed 6x Leupold (I think it is an FX-III or something like that). I looked through it and it’s pretty nice. For a small rifle like this at those ranges, I’d be very happy with the 6x.

kad11

WKR

This is lightweight and simple:

Cool to see what you guys are doing with the hunters… I had one for awhile in 7-08, it was a dang nice rifle for the money… I’m surprised they aren’t more popular, because similar price to a tikka, and I think a little more feature rich, and mine was a shooter… no downside to that rifle… I wish I grabbed one when they were offering 25-06… the stock was ugly camo so I waited to find one in brown, never did, then couldn’t find one chambered in 25-06 anywhere online or in person, and no longer on their website

Great little rifles though

sargent

WKR
Well, I cut the barrel to 19"(diy), resighted it in and removed the gel from the pistol grip. Right now the scoped empty rifle is just over 6#. I'm going to shoot it like this for a while, but there's a pretty good chance I'll be pulling the rest of the gel before next fall's elk hunt. Thanks for the all the ideas and pics of your work guys. I never would have done this without seeing this thread. All my real life friends and family seem to think hacking apart a brand new rifle is crazy... maybe I'm spending too much time on Rokslide!

mt100gr.

WKR
No posts on this thread in February??? WTF??😃

I guess I am hot to trot with my 17.5" hack-job Hunter again. Every time I pick it up, I think I should carry it much more often!

As long as the numbers shake out reasonably consistent next time out, I believe I found what I need with very minimal load development. 30 rounds, to be exact.

ADG Brass, IMR 4166, Fed 210 under a 130grain ELD-M. These 5 shot under 3/4" and a couple charge weights around it were right around an inch for 5. For a 5.5lb rifle that's all I can muster on a good day. Not sure where the velocity will be but this isn't a long range rig.

I'm going to load up 20 more, chrono 10 of them and see what a 10 round group looks like. 20220305_193009.jpg