Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor - Let the Project Begin!

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Forgot to mention, I degreased thoroughly with rubbing alcohol after sanding and masked off the inletting.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Well the barrel has now been cut back to 19", which makes it handy and short while not looking stubby. With the barrel chopped, the gun now sits at 5lbs on the nose. This is with less than $700 total into it. With the vx-3i 2.5-8 scope mounted on Talley Lightweights, it comes to 5lbs 13.9oz.
bgwmlf.jpg

sb6gz8.jpg

I went to the range today to see what I could do with it. With Hornady American Whitetail, I printed 3-shot groups of 1.05", .700", .98", and 1.95"...the last of which I pulled a shot real bad on. I'm still working on my sub 6lb rifle technique and just generally getting used to the new rifle. The one group of Federal Non-Typical wasn't quite as nice, coming to 1.76".
ngsuhl.jpg

Far better than getting my Kimber out was sharing the time with my 5 y/o daughter, who is becoming quite a shot with her Savage Rascal.
2quixxl.jpg

At this point, If I do anything else, it will probably be to either have my local machinist drill out the bolt handle or get a titanium one. I might also try getting an additional front action screw to use in the rear. As is, the rear screw weighs .4oz more than the front, but the pillars are identical. It seems that the extra metal on the shaft is simply to bring the head of the screw up to be flush with the stock.
j10ol3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
You would have been further ahead to buy the montana assuming it would have shot the way yours used to.

Seems to me that I would have been $400 behind with a gun that feels and weighs basically the same - only real difference being that I'd have a different material in hand. I personally don't have use for the threaded barrel. The Hunter might not be for everyone, as some have a strong aversion to 'plastic' stocks and detachable magazines, but what this all shows is that if the deciding factor between the two is weight, that can be quickly spanned with a couple hours of tinkering (which I quite enjoy).

wentrot

FNG
Looking good. How the heck did you get that crap out of the stock? Iv ripped at at with a few tools and have only managed 1.5 ounces out. Barely a dent.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Wentrot,
It took some serious persistence. I used a combination of a 4" Mora knife, a couple of the longest flat head screwdrivers I own and pliers to latch on to the little bits and pull them out. If I remember right, it took about 2 hours total. Once you break it up good it starts going faster.

424hunter

FNG
BigWoods.

Have you noticed any differance in recoil and/or accuracy by removing the gel from the stock? and have you noticed if the stock lost any structual integrity, like flexing or prone to cracking? I found your post because im interested in putting my Hunter 6.5 on diet as well .

The gel is in the butt pad so no loss of rigidity.

Well the barrel has now been cut back to 19", which makes it handy and short while not looking stubby. With the barrel chopped, the gun now sits at 5lbs on the nose. This is with less than $700 total into it. With the vx-3i 2.5-8 scope mounted on Talley Lightweights, it comes to 5lbs 13.9oz.
bgwmlf.jpg

sb6gz8.jpg

I went to the range today to see what I could do with it. With Hornady American Whitetail, I printed 3-shot groups of 1.05", .700", .98", and 1.95"...the last of which I pulled a shot real bad on. I'm still working on my sub 6lb rifle technique and just generally getting used to the new rifle. The one group of Federal Non-Typical wasn't quite as nice, coming to 1.76".
ngsuhl.jpg

Far better than getting my Kimber out was sharing the time with my 5 y/o daughter, who is becoming quite a shot with her Savage Rascal.
2quixxl.jpg

At this point, If I do anything else, it will probably be to either have my local machinist drill out the bolt handle or get a titanium one. I might also try getting an additional front action screw to use in the rear. As is, the rear screw weighs .4oz more than the front, but the pillars are identical. It seems that the extra metal on the shaft is simply to bring the head of the screw up to be flush with the stock.
j10ol3.jpg

Looks like a solid 2 moa gun with the 129gr

That’ll do just fine for most scenarios.

I got a spare front screw if you want it.

424hunter

FNG
Roger that, looks like I'll start picking and digging. I already cut out as much of the excess rubber in the butt pad. Would like to get down around the 5# range as well. The scope I've got is the Leupold Freedom VX 4x14X40 weighs in 13oz. So closer I can get to under 6lbs the better

I also found a Ti handle and carbon fiber knob at this website for $59.00, claims to be lighter @ 0.7oz then stock
https://www.boltknobs.com/kimber-84/

424hunter

FNG
Took my bolt apart and weighed out the handle, 37.26 grams or 1.2oz. Looks like I'm spending some money,,haha.

image.jpgimage.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a skelotonozed Ti bolt handle from - dude on 24 hour campfire, my 308 Montana with leupold vx3i 2.5-8 weight 5lb 11oz. I’ve got plenty of 1” groups out of that setup.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
BigWoods.

Have you noticed any differance in recoil and/or accuracy by removing the gel from the stock? and have you noticed if the stock lost any structual integrity, like flexing or prone to cracking? I found your post because im interested in putting my Hunter 6.5 on diet as well .
No, the structural integrity wasn't compromised by doing this. It's just sound deadening filler. I replaced it with some closed cell foam to deaden the sound at much less weight. Beyond that. The barrel chop saved a few ounces.

As for recoil, I haven't noticed any difference. Coming off the 308 Kimber Classic that I had before (which weighed a full pound more) this has substantially less recoil. The 6.5 is a pretty gentle cartridge.

With my handloads, 3 rounds will consistently group around .9". Works for me.

NDbowhunter - Kimber set me up with the shorter screw very reasonably.

I put the rifle to good use this last November;
IMG_20181114_082833.jpg

Nice buck. You get him in coos county? What bullet did you end up using? Definitely grab one of the titanium handles from chris84 on 24hr. I prefer the tac style on my Montana’s. I took my buck this fall with my Montana 6.5creed 127lrx.7268B964-56A4-47B4-B568-C39F8B88B086.jpeg

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Nice buck. You get him in coos county? What bullet did you end up using? Definitely grab one of the titanium handles from chris84 on 24hr. I prefer the tac style on my Montana’s. I took my buck this fall with my Montana 6.5creed 127lrx.View attachment 92045
Yessir, got him in the Northwoods on opening morning. I cut his track at about 6:30am and followed it about 2 miles when he snorted and came out fast at about 75 yards. It certainly wasn't the opportunity for precision work, but the Kimber came up and swung quickly to make the connection.

Been fairly pleased with what the rifles turned out into.

Lapua brass, h4895, cci 200, 120noslers.. 19" barrel ends up about 2800 with a .386bc..

Not a world beater ballistically, 162gr eld-m at 2550 is a lot better ballistically but it's just too much recoil.. 20 times neck sizes brass and loads dropped, never weighed. Gonna keep running this brass until something changes.

Big round close target was shot kneeling at 275 yards. Tiny square white behind it is 325 with a center punch and furthest back left square next to black chicken is 430. 324 and 430 were shot on belly, side hill with front of gun resting on pack. Butt of the rifle snugged tight into shoulder, and holding the forensic.. Super switchy strong winds. 12 gusting to 17mph.

IMG_2150.JPG

tried to take a before picture. IMG_2149.JPG

Cutting barrel doesn't save much weight.. more to make it stick out less when strapped to pack. IMG_2151.JPG 3"

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Cutting barrel doesn't save much weight.. more to make it stick out less when strapped to pack. View attachment 92117 3"
Didn't save tons of weight, but it all adds up. Considering I paid $25 to have mine cut and recrowned to match factory, I'd say that's pretty cheap per ounce.
But you hit on the handiness factor being bigger. Also, I found that it balanced better at 19" with the stock goo removed.

424hunter

FNG
Didn't save tons of weight, but it all adds up. Considering I paid $25 to have mine cut and recrowned to match factory, I'd say that's pretty cheap per ounce.
But you hit on the handiness factor being bigger. Also, I found that it balanced better at 19" with the stock goo removed.

25 bucks for 2.5 oz, decent accuracy... Added to list!!!!