Kimber Montana 84l - Recoil in 30-06?

BigWoods

WKR
After this season of deer hunting in snowy New England I realized that maintaining the wood and blued steel on my Kimber 84m Classic will prove to be arduous over time. As such it is now up on Gunbroker and I'm trying to decide just what I want next. I have really enjoyed carrying the Kimber in the field and will almost certainly stick to Kimber. I'm between picking up a new Hunter in 6.5 Creed for around $650 or keeping my eye out for a good deal on a used Montana (preferably short action) in whatever comes along (6.5, 7mm-08, or 308). Whatever I get I'll plan to chop the barrel back to 19 or 20".

There is a Kimber Montana 84l chambered in 30-06 listed locally for $800 (talley lightweights included), which seems to be a pretty solid deal. My 84m Classic is chambered in 308 and has been plenty enjoyable to shoot, but I don't necessarily want a whole lot more recoil. How should I expect the '06 Montana to recoil compared to what I currently have? I used to have a Tikka t3 Lite in 30-06 that I didn't mind, but that was also a pound heavier.

Thanks!

That’s a decent deal for sure and since they are local you might be able to work out an even better deal. Since you plan on chopping it down anyway, I’d say if the recoil is a problem, just have it fitted for a brake. Sure, it will be louder, but you should be using ear protection regardless, and a brake will more than likely just aid in tightening up your groups anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I've fired one working up loads and setting up the scope for a buddy.

I wasn't terribly punishing. Everyone's tolerance for recoil is a little different, but I didn't find it difficult to shoot 40-50 times in an afternoon.

Recoil is pretty brisk, but it comes straight back which helps.

elkguide

WKR
I have several Montanas and the one in .300WSM does have noticeable recoil. But it has yet to bother me when shooting an animal. I don't sit at the bench and fire more than a dozen or so rounds through it but then again it's not a bench gun. Sounds like a good deal and if it's local, they might let you shoot it and see for yourself what it feels like.

Good luck.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Thanks for the input thus far! I do plan to hand load for whatever I get so I would assume that I could load up some kinder and gentler loads if need be. Can this be done while maintaining accuracy?

I really wish I knew of a workable way to use ear pro with he style of hunting I'm doing here in New England...if I could the muzzle brake would be attractive. Tracking a dear through 20 year old Balsam fir stands would rip just about anything off my head and if I used foam ear plugs I'd never hear the deer. Maybe someday I'll save up for some of the electronic in the ear type.

hodgeman

WKR
Thanks for the input thus far! I do plan to hand load for whatever I get so I would assume that I could load up some kinder and gentler loads if need be. Can this be done while maintaining accuracy?.

You can certainly load some reduced recoil loads and maintain accuracy. There are several "reduced recoil" loads that usually feature a lighter charge and a lighter bullet. I've tried Reminton's "Managed Recoil" and it just worked for me. Same POI to 200 yards and accuracy was certainly acceptable. In a .308 the recoil dropped to about the .243 level.

If you're hunting deer primarily under 200 yards....you could certainly go with something softer shooting than a lightweight '06. Something like a 6.5, a .260 or 7-08 is nearly ideal in the "power, weight, recoil" equation for deer hunting. Of course, there's nothing wrong with an '06 either.