Kimber Montana/Adirondack/Mtn Ascent Choice of Optic

bmicek

WKR
What is everyone putting on their lightweight Kimbers? I’m more of a tactical shooter so I’ve always been a guy to want turrets. But I currently have a Leupold VXR 2-7x33 on my 280ai Montana to keep the weight super light. But I teeter back and forth between moving to a turret optic vs the standard optic I have on it now.

3-12 LRHS.....

IMG_7361.JPG

wyosteve

WKR
Not a Kimber, but my Rifles, Inc. .338WM has a 2.5x8 Leupold and I just mounted a Leupold 3-15 on my Weatherby Backcountry. Both light rifles.

Hikein

FNG
Very simply when you seek out the lightest production rifle made like the Kimber Mtn Ascent, you put on the lightest scope you can find. Leupold Ultralight is really a great choice. Put that 20 oz. scope on a heavier rifle. Swarovski Z-3 isn’t too heavy, especially the 3x9.
And let’s be honest. Reasonably priced scopes have been putting game on the ground for decades. It is a gun sight! Money spent on your binoculars, spotting scope, rifle action and barrel all hold a much higher priority.
Let me qualify all of this by stating I was raised by a guy that never once missed a game animal with a Tasco World Class on his wood stock BDL 700. I might be out of style.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My Montana 308 has a 2.5-8 leupold on it which suits the gun very well and has been a great scope.

My mountain ascent 300wm has a meopta meopro 3-9 which is a great fit for that rifle with the longer distance between the talley rings on the magnum action.

motofrog

FNG
My Adirondack, which is now a custom 338 Fed., wears the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32. It’s like they were made for each other! The Fieldcraft wears the 42mm version.

5b1ff4a9721edc1bd3a3164555cb027d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What height are those rings on the Fieldcraft? Setting up a Forbes 20B that only came with 1" talleys and trying to buy the right height for a set of 30mm's

What height are those rings on the Fieldcraft? Setting up a Forbes 20B that only came with 1" talleys and trying to buy the right height for a set of 30mm's
They are 'Low' Talley rings. I have 'Extra Low' on the Adirondack with the 32mm NXS. Both scopes are 30mm tubes of course.

TomJoad

WKR
My Kimber wears a swaro z3 3-10x42 at 12.7oz. My other backpack mtn rig wears a fixed 4x Schmidt & Bender. I’ve used lightweight leupolds and still have a few on a 22lr and a 22 hornet but I no longer trust them on big game. I’ve had 3+ inch poi shifts backpack hunting as well as canted reticles and other challenges. Their weight is great. Their warranty is great. I just don’t want to use a warranty.