Kimber Montana Lightening (revisited)

wildcat33

WKR
I know others have gone through this in the past, thought I would post my experience with lightening a stock kimber montana, and current prices.

To start with I scored a used montana 280ai. Not sure when this gun was made but it has been painted and kimber muzzle break added, but had a steel trigger guard

Original rifle:
Steel trigger guard: 2.5oz
Steel bolt knob: 1.25oz
Bolt (w/o knob): 8.5oz
Stock rifle weight: 5.58lb

Modified rifle:
Mtn Ascent Al trigger guard: 0.75oz (60$ from Kimber)
Ti bolt knob: 0.5oz (75$ from 2hr CF)
Fluted bolt: 8oz (90$ from Kampfeld)
Modified rifle weight: 5.4lb

So total weight savings was 3oz for 225$. Is it worth it? For me, yes because it was a fun project. When you compare the weight of the steel trigger guard and bolt knob to the replacements it FEELS like you're making a difference, but hard to tell on finished rifle. I will say the bolt fluting looks super cool, but it was the most expensive mod, had the least impact, and makes the bolt action a bit jumpy. No regrets though.

Now I just need to find a light scope to put on it.....

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 157
I went through the same with mine, did everything except the bolt fluting. Rebored and shortened the barrel to the weight down more. I’m right at 5 pounds flat with a 21 inch 338-06 and love it. Those kimbers are addicting, I’d love to find another cheap donor to build a 257 RPM on.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
This gun is just to do one thing; be carried a lot and shot a little. So I want it as light as possible. Have a boonie packer strap on the way and eyes peeled for a Z3 or Trijicon 3-9 to top it off.

Wildcat33,
I don't know if the weight savings was worth the coin strictly for the sake of saving the weight. I am curious though. Since you took 3oz off from behind the balance point, that means the rifle should now be slightly more muzzle heavy, which would be my preference, since it helps to settle the rifle a little better. Have you found this to be the case?

CApighunter is right. I only have two right now in 7-08 and 257 Rob, but I see more in my crystal ball.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Wildcat33,
I don't know if the weight savings was worth the coin strictly for the sake of saving the weight. I am curious though. Since you took 3oz off from behind the balance point, that means the rifle should now be slightly more muzzle heavy, which would be my preference, since it helps to settle the rifle a little better. Have you found this to be the case?

CApighunter is right. I only have two right now in 7-08 and 257 Rob, but I see more in my crystal ball.

I can't say that I noticed a difference, but I didn't do a shoulder to shoulder comparison before and after. With talley lows (and no scope) the balance point is about 1/4" to 1/2" in front (towards muzzle) of the front action screw.

22lr

WKR
Every time I price my pre-64 its about $80 to $100 for every ounce I would possibly save. So id say you got a bargain for 3oz at $225! Rifles are definetly expensive to cut weight on, but dang its fun.

ChrisAU

WKR
I know others have gone through this in the past, thought I would post my experience with lightening a stock kimber montana, and current prices.

To start with I scored a used montana 280ai. Not sure when this gun was made but it has been painted and kimber muzzle break added, but had a steel trigger guard

Original rifle:
Steel trigger guard: 2.5oz
Steel bolt knob: 1.25oz
Bolt (w/o knob): 8.5oz
Stock rifle weight: 5.58lb

Modified rifle:
Mtn Ascent Al trigger guard: 0.75oz (60$ from Kimber)
Ti bolt knob: 0.5oz (75$ from 2hr CF)
Fluted bolt: 8oz (90$ from Kampfeld)
Modified rifle weight: 5.4lb

So total weight savings was 3oz for 225$. Is it worth it? For me, yes because it was a fun project. When you compare the weight of the steel trigger guard and bolt knob to the replacements it FEELS like you're making a difference, but hard to tell on finished rifle. I will say the bolt fluting looks super cool, but it was the most expensive mod, had the least impact, and makes the bolt action a bit jumpy. No regrets though.

Now I just need to find a light scope to put on it.....

How long did it take Kampfield to do your bolt? I'm considering it.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Karl is awesome. If you live in the north Idaho area you can drive stuff to him and it’s lightning quick. Super cool guy with some smoker white tails on his walls. A little out of the way but beats shipping.