Kimber Montana/mountain ascent magnum?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Does anybody here use or have any experience with the Kimber mountain rifles in magnum calibers like 300wsm, 300wm etc? (Not talking about the talkeetna).

I’m looking to get a more powerful rifle but still a mountain rifle and the kimbers seem to check all the boxes for me, I’ve also had great luck with my other kimbers so I have no reservations about buying another Kimber. I just can’t seem to find much info on these in larger cartridge models, everybody I know with kimbers all have standard models.

thanks!!!

editing to add, I did have one in 300wsm
For a Short time but gave it to my dad because he drew an elk tag he’d been trying to get for years and years. I never got to fire the rifle, I’m not regretting giving it to my dad, just wishing I still had it so probably getting another.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I have one. Don't expect it to be as trim as your Montana in standard calibers.

The rifle has to be held onto or it'll bite and it can lose accuracy if it is not held properly when shot.

With all that said, mine is a sound, accurate rifle that does exactly what I want it to do.....be easy to carry and reliably accurate.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have one. Don't expect it to be as trim as your Montana in standard calibers.

The rifle has to be held onto or it'll bite and it can lose accuracy if it is not held properly when shot.

With all that said, mine is a sound, accurate rifle that does exactly what I want it to do.....be easy to carry and reliably accurate.

do you have a short mag or a win mag?

Wrench

WKR
I have two stocks for mine, one has dbm using ai mags, the other stock is stock (both Montana stocks)

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I have the mountain ascent in 300 wsm and love it. Im Not recoil sensitive so I might not be the best person to ask but recoil isn’t too bad with the muzzle break. Mine is very accurate I shoot factory barnes. If you’ve shot kimbers you know that they can take some time getting used to shooting light rifles but once you get the feel it’s up to you.
I wouldn’t get a 300 win mag just because of the weight it’s listed as kinda takes away the point of getting a lightweight rifle. I’d stick with the wsm that’s just my 2 cents. I have a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and the stock on my 300wsm is a wider that the 6.5 so it’s not as sleek but it’s not enough to make it uncomfortable or anything like that... long short I would recommend the 300wsm mountain ascent to anyone looking for a lightweight magnum rifle!!

Terrapin

WKR
I have a Mountain Ascent in 7mm Remington Mag. Very accurate and very light weight. I don’t find it any harder to shoot than my heavy rifles. The brake is very efficient. I would much rather shoot it than my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottyboy203

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mtn Ascent in 270 WSM it’s a little wider in the stock than the regular calibers but balances and holds awesome. Shoots great and very little recoil with the factory brake.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mountain accent in 300 win mag. Very accurate rifle.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Montana in .338 win mag. I find the recoil much more pleasant then the browning A bolt I had previously in .338 or the tikka .300 win I had.
I don’t shoot more then 3 shot groups but I’ve had everything from one ragged hole to about 3/4” groups out of it with both 225 grain ttsx and 250 grain accubonds.
To trim weight I installed a titanium bolt handle, 2.5-8X36 leupold on top in a set of Talley rings and had the barrel cut to 23”.

I didn’t like the perch belly from the 8400 as it felt fat compared to my 84M and 84l kimbers so I put it in a Pendleton composite stock I had custom built with a 14.25“ length of pull. That stock made it feel slim around the mag well again and it also got me a floor plate. It’s now sitting at 6lbs 15 Oz with factory steel kimber bottom metal. one of these days I’m hoping to modify a win model 70 aluminum floor plate and drop about 8-10 ounces off her. I would be very happy if I could get her down around 6lbs 5 ounces scoped which should be achievable.