Kimber Montana or Tikka T3x Superlite

Bowhnter

FNG
Looking at upgrading to a lighter mountain rifle and leaning towards a Montana or Superlite. Anyone have any experience/input with either that can help my decision? I found a Montana in .270 for 1000.00 but the Tikka's at 750.00 are pretty enticing. For the Tikka they currently have 6.5 creed and .270wsm.

There’s a bunch of threads on both.

I’ve been using Tikkas. No complaints here. They’re great just as they are, or you can go wild with them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the two you mentioned, it seems that the Tikka's are easier to get to shoot good or great. From what I see posted with Montanas is that they sometimes require some tinkering to make them shoot.

And if you do decide to change anything, there are a lot of aftermarket parts these days for the Tikkas, not sure what you can find for the Kimbers.

I have sure been happy with my Superlite 7MM-08.

Superdoo

WKR
👆👆👆👆👆👆
That right there is why I went to Tikka when I was facing the same decision. That was 2 years ago though. I'm not sure if Kimber has upped their game since then....

OP
B

Bowhnter

FNG
Thanks for the input, i would agree that I'd have to dig to find some poor reviews of the Tikka. As for Kimber I've gotten a lot of mixed reviews. Some say they are lights out but others say they wasted money. From what I've seen the newer Kimber rifles don't have the same issues, other than poor mechanics by the shooter. I guess it's the appeal of the shiny Kimber that's holding me back.

Last edited:

maclong

FNG
Tikka 270 here absolutely zero regrets at all. Also it seems to shoot almost any brand ammo with same results.

HNTR918

WKR
Make sure your Kimber is post 2016. The Kimber Hunter is a great option as well and a much lower price. If you don't mind the plastic Tikka stock than you wont mind the Kimber Hunter stock. There is about 8-9oz of epoxy in the Kimber hunter stock as well. With that removed its over 1 lb lighter than the Tikka in 6.5CM.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have a t3x superlite in 6.5C and if you reload you will be happy in the performance you can get with that rifle. They have a slightly longer throat (in mine and a buddies experience) which means factory loads shoot a bit slow but handloads loaded longer shoot fast and group well.

270wsm would be great too, just saying you can sneak some extra performance from the std 6.5C.

Sled

WKR
have you shouldered both? for me the tikka and kimber feel completely different.

i have both in 6.5cm and feel the fit (lop) and function is much better on the tikka. i still use the kimber as a short barrel suppressed rifle for hunting. both shoot well enough but the tikka seems to be less particular about the ammo. it is also slower than the kimber with the same ammo.

in the tikka i have a 6.5, 270wsm, 7mm rm, and 7mm-08 all shoot well but run less fps than they should, even with reloads.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have both and really like both, they serve different purposes to me but both have been accurate and 100% reliable. In fact my next 2 rifle purchases will be a tikka in 223 and a kimber in 300wsm.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been using a Sako M85 Synthetic Black (Sako makes Tikka's) in 30-06, I just picked up a Kimber Montana in 30-06 with the plan being to sell the Sako if the Kimber works well. From what I can tell, Kimber has improved their quality. The mag box was fitted properly and does not bind, the action screws are not too long, the feed lips are rounded, the barrel is free floated back to the chamber, the action fits into the stock tightly (these are all things I expected to need to tinker with myself based on what I had read).

I like the Montana stock better than the plastic stock of the Sako (which is a nicer stock than the Tikka).

I have not had the Montana out to the range yet. It has a trigger that I like better than the Sako (both are very good). However, it is not perfect. The bolt is not as smooth as the Sako, the magazine spring appears to be a little weak as the last round does not get pushed up hard enough to go under the extractor claw, so the last round is push feed until about 2 mm of travel is left in the bolt.

I like the CRF and open top action of the Montana. I'm not a fan of the coin slot ejection of the Tikka. The Montana also does not have the plastic parts a Tikka does. Other than CRF, these are more aesthetic than functional differences. My take, by the Tikka if you want something that just works, by the Kimber if you don't mind a little tinkering and aesthetics play a part in how much you like something.

Put a good stock on the Tikka and you are at the price of the Montana or over.

The Montana weighs 5 lb 5 3/4 oz naked and empty (not the listed 5 lb 10 oz). If light weight matters to you, go with the Montana.

I have both and really like both, they serve different purposes to me but both have been accurate and 100% reliable. In fact my next 2 rifle purchases will be a tikka in 223 and a kimber in 300wsm.
Same for me. I have several Tikkas and a couple of Kimbers. The level of craftsmanship, fit and finish on my Kimbers is impressive.
All shoot sub moa

BjornF16

WKR
I have recently bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 280 AI and a Tikka T3X Lite Stainless in 7mm-08.

I fixed a pinched magazine shroud and bedded the front action screw, recoil lug and barrel shoulder on the Kimber. It shoots Hornady PH ELD-X 162 gr very nicely (my best 3 shot group is 0.5 MOA at 200 yds; typical 3 shot groups are all sub MOA).

I am struggling with my Tikka. Accuracy from factory ammo has been mostly abysmal. My last 3 shot group was 0.8 MOA but that has been the only sub MOA group I've managed in approximately 60 rounds. Remington Core Lokt has been 1.2 MOA. Hornady Superformance has been 2-3 MOA and Federal Premium has been 1.5-2 MOA.

Granted, I am new to Tikka. From doing nothing to the rifle (other than cleaning bore) for first range visit to adjusting stock, reducing trigger pull, degreasing action, and verifying torques, the only thing that has changed group size is changing ammo. I am sure I have a lot to learn about Tikka's.

So that said, I currently prefer my Kimber. However, if I can get the Tikka to shoot it will replace the Kimber as my favorite. I do like the smooth action of the Tikka and the trigger isn't bad either.

OP
B

Bowhnter

FNG
Just checked the manufacture date on the Montana, its a 2016. Anyone know if that's in the time frame that the Kimbers were having issues?

I’ve owned two Kimber Montana’s and one Tikka T3 X superlite

I still on the Tikka

Kimber Montana is an excellent concept with poor execution.

If you’re a gambling man you might enjoy playing the Kimber lottery.

brsnow

WKR
Seems many people let forums and social media be the foundation of their decision. Interesting.