Kimber Montana

Tyguy

WKR
Finally picked up my Kimber Montana .308 from the gunsmith. Had him install a banded front sight and express sights. Has a West German made Zeiss Diavari 3-9 x 36 with stainless QD mounts.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tyguy

WKR
Thanks Guys! I am very happy with it. Only concern of mine is I can't get an easy sight picture with the irons without really craning my neck and cramming my face into the comb. I am thinking of maybe trying out taller inserts for the sights and see if that gives me a better sight picture. I don't want to go too tall though as I don't want to see the sights through the scope.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Guys! I am very happy with it. Only concern of mine is I can't get an easy sight picture with the irons without really craning my neck and cramming my face into the comb. I am thinking of maybe trying out taller inserts for the sights and see if that gives me a better sight picture. I don't want to go too tall though as I don't want to see the sights through the scope.
Take some tape and paper and see how much you can add to the sight hight before seeing them on low power.

Also, stock crawling does not matter with irons (no scope to smack you). I tend to push my head forward and rest the bottom of my zygomatic arch on the top of the comb. It might make things work better for you. To me, the Montana stock felt about right for irons, and the comb felt too low for a scope. I'm also a few marbles short though, so take that with a grain of salt or perhaps a whole shaker.

OP
T

Tyguy

WKR
Take some tape and paper and see how much you can add to the sight hight before seeing them on low power.

Also, stock crawling does not matter with irons (no scope to smack you). I tend to push my head forward and rest the bottom of my zygomatic arch on the top of the comb. It might make things work better for you. To me, the Montana stock felt about right for irons, and the comb felt too low for a scope. I'm also a few marbles short though, so take that with a grain of salt or perhaps a whole shaker.
Great Idea, I will do that before I attempt to get different inserts.

I am 6'5" tall so I am used to things not fitting me. The Montana is a bit small for me but not bad. I may try and get a LOP increase somehow but I am not going to sweat it. I can certainly make this current setup work for my needs.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
May I ask how much the iron sights were and who makes/installs them?
Got a Kimber Hunter sitting here that needs a set of good irons.

OP
T

Tyguy

WKR
May I ask how much the iron sights were and who makes/installs them?
Got a Kimber Hunter sitting here that needs a set of good irons.
These are NECG sights. I believe the masterpiece front banded sight and masterpiece classic adjustable rear. Sights all together were around $200. Any gunsmith should be capable of installing them. Total cost with some other work on mine was around $500. ( Including cost of sights)

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet setup. A Kimber with irons is on my want list.

How do you like the Zeiss? I've contemplated one for a 223 84m classic, but have resisted because I've never had a chance to look through one.

OP
T

Tyguy

WKR
Sweet setup. A Kimber with irons is on my want list.

How do you like the Zeiss? I've contemplated one for a 223 84m classic, but have resisted because I've never had a chance to look through one.
It seems like a really nice scope, lets a lot of light in and seems to be good even in low light conditions. I honestly don't have too much to compare to, but based on all the reviews I could find, these earlier west german ones are known for being top notch quality glass. I snagged it for $400 so compared to current stuff in that price range I think it would be a superior scope.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Diveslot6

FNG
Finally picked up my Kimber Montana .308 from the gunsmith. Had him install a banded front sight and express sights. Has a West German made Zeiss Diavari 3-9 x 36 with stainless QD mounts.
Thanks for the info in your post from awhile back. I plan to contact NECG to discuss same iron sights on my 84M .308.

OP
T

Tyguy

WKR
Thanks for the info in your post from awhile back. I plan to contact NECG to discuss same iron sights on my 84M .308.
Awesome! Best of luck with it.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk