Kimber mountain ascent 280ai which scope

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I go with #1. Love the Mtn Ascent and .280.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
If you are still considering the 2.5-8x36, I have been happy with mine. It has taken a few bumps without any problems.

jt4

WKR
I have both a vx-6 2-12 and a z3 4-12. I'd pick the vx-6 for quality of the view. Can't speak to reliability yet (or hopefully ever) on either one.

I would go #4 duplex. I have not had any issues, or know anyone with Luepold holding zero, but I have personally experienced the failure to return to zero on dialing with CDS. If you want to shoot longer range with it just dial back the magification and hold bottom post. My hunting partner shoots with great reliability with this method out to 550 yards.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up putting my Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 firedot on. I ended up selling my Sako 85 chambered in 7mm mag and this was the scope on the sako. Now it is 6 lb 10 oz Scoped and still a pleasure to carry plus the nicer glass

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
Just because I’m interested, why not the Vortex?

Iman

FNG
I would opt for #1 but would go with brh reticle. It is often not recognized that the brh reticle is not a “ballistic” reticle but rather a variant of the mildot with additional halve-mil marks which makes it much more versatile than a ballistic tree style in my view. Its got 4.5 mils of holdover taking my 308 to 600 yards. In addition, its got fixed parallax zeroed at 200 meters minimizing the parallax error at extended ranges. Light bright and crisp. Have had no issues with two I have experience with. Its not designed to spin turrets every shot though. I had a few Leupold and never again.

Kickstep

FNG
I like the 2.5-8x36 you have on there. That said, I’d go with a CDS if I wanted to dial for elevation.

I run a 2.5-8x36 on my 300 WSM and like it. I don’t shoot past 300 yards though.

gsp

FNG
i have the vx3i 3.5-10x 40mm duplex on my 308 ascent. will keep this set up unless i find something better at the same weight. i don't dial for long range shots in central kentucky.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider

Sent from my iPhone

Vortex is overpriced junk three items all failed multiple times. They were 2 Vortex Viper Scopes and a pair of 10 x 42 Viper HD binoculars. Vortex warranty is one you will have to use

w squared

FNG
I would look at a Swaro Z5i - specifically the 2.4 - 12 X 50.. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to end up with on a Kimber for a mountain rifle, and that's the scope that I like more than the rest.

Since Vortex came up, I'll address that as well. I've had good luck with Vortex products in general, and their Razor HD is very good glass....just not as good as the Swarovski offerings.

njc89

FNG
I have a Kimber Montana 7mm-08 and went through a similar decision as well. Went with Leupold vx3 4.5-14 with Boone and Crockett reticle. It’s only about 13 oz., matches my ballistics well and is quick to target at reasonable ranges. I couldn’t justify settling for the lower magnification of many of the other lighter choices. I would also consider the same scope with wind plex and cds. With the 280 ai your range is a little more than mine, which would make an 8-10 power scope feel lacking to MY eyes. The vx5 3-15 would be my next choice, but it comes with more of a weight penalty than I wanted on this lightweight rifle. I’m a Leupold guy. Always had great luck with them, and their customer service has always been top notch. My $0.02.

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I was just looking at a Kimber in 280 AI earlier today! Really interested to see how your setup turns out

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm back to the original dilemma I had the Leupold vx5hd on but recently picked up a Sako carbonlight 7mm mag and I'm going to put that scope on that rifle. So now I narrowed it down do the vx3i 3-10x40 CDs zl1 or the z3 3-10x42

For what it's worth, I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 280AI but I topped with a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 BT. Over kill/a bit heavy for a light weight rifle but I don't want to compromise for optics. No low light hunting, middle of the day, go with the vx3-i and skip the z3

The reason I bailed on Swaro was the 1 inch tubes and reports of durability issues. I did like their glass though.

Leupold has mushy dials and reports of durability issues.

I considered NF 2.5-10x42 but wanted a little more magnification than 10.
Trijicon has good reputation for ruggedness.

20 ounces plus is what some folks say is needed in a scope for reliability / durability. My Credo HX is 23 oz.

Rifle is still plenty light.
how has it proven since you got it? I'm looking at the same scope for my proof rifle

BjornF16

WKR
I've had no issues with it so far, but it has been range queen. I haven't been in the field hunting with it yet