Kimber mountain ascent 300 win mag, what scope?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

In the next few days I will take possession of a Kimber mountain ascent 300 win mag. This will be used for sheep hunts here in AK, max range of ~ 600yds on targets, hopefully much less on animals.

I want a fairly light scope, dialing is ok, Mil dot preferred and it has to fit a magnum action.

If this was your rifle, what would you put on it?

Wrench

WKR
Here's a 3x9hd in Hawkins on one. I like it. For sub 800ish I'd also go fixed 6 and never feel handicapped.Screenshot_20210420-045538_Photos.jpg

Wrench

WKR
Whatever you choose....make sure it has passed all the ass kicking tests because these are snappy little rifles and a top contender for scope scrambler.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Whatever you choose....make sure it has passed all the ass kicking tests because these are snappy little rifles and a top contender for scope scrambler.
This one will have a brake or a supressor on it so it shouldn't be too bad. Ive had a few other kimbers and they havn't destroyed any scopes yet but they have not been magnums.

MThuntr

WKR
I put a VX3i CDS-ZL 4.5-14 30mm on my Kimber Hunter and has treated me well with range shots well past 600 yards and hunting kills out to 460 yards. I hear people have issues with Leupold returning to zero...it's seems they are either love or hate here on Rokslide.

I have a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 on my 300WinMag and really like the tracking and solid zero stop but it may be a touch heavier than you'd prefer at 22oz. I haven't gotten to take the rifle on any long walks to confirm if I like the reticle on the fringes of light but so far so good on range work. This is a SFP scope.

LightFoot

WKR
Leupold VX-3i or VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with ballistic turret
NF NXS 2.5-10x42
S&B Klassik 3-12x42
Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 or 2-12x50 with BT
Depending on budget.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Razor LHT
NXS 2.5-10
SWFA 3-9

In that order if it were mine

The LHT would be cool, I wonder if it can fit on a magnum length action without having to have some weird cumbersome mounting system.

This one will have a brake or a supressor on it so it shouldn't be too bad. Ive had a few other kimbers and they havn't destroyed any scopes yet but they have not been magnums.
A rifle with a muzzle brake is going to be harder on a scope, than a rifle without one. Although it’s counterintuitive it’s true. The change in recoil pulse is the difference. Light rifles, magnum cartridges and muzzle brakes require a well built scope. I’ve been using a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on a 5.84 pound 300 WM that’s been braked, without any issues, on my sheep rifle.

The LHT would be cool, I wonder if it can fit on a magnum length action without having to have some weird cumbersome mounting system.
I have the LHT on my 7 rem mag. It fits and the eye relief is nice so it’s pretty easy to mount where you want it. I had it in a short action and it was much easier in the short action but the long action worked. My VX5 had issues mounting on the 7 rem mag as it’s a shorter scope but the LHT worked fine. I used a 20 MOA base and standard 30mm rings. Had enough room for a level as well. Really enjoyed the LHT so far have taken it to 600 on steel and tracks great.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I don't like the idea of getting a super-light rifle and putting a 20-30 oz Scope on it. I have a collection Of Leupold 3i's and some Razor 1" scopes that Vortex stopped making for some stupid reason. 1.5-8x and 2-10X for the Razors and 2.5-8X and 3.5-10X for the 3i's 11-14 Oz range. I even have a VariX 2 3-9 with LR reticle on my new Weatherby Back-country Ti. (11 oz) If they still made the Leupold 6x36 with LR reticle I'd buy three of them. I shoot enough to really understand how the reticles work with my load and don't twist. I don't like were new scopes are going...rugged yes, accurate yes but why carry a boat anchor up a mountain?