Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Wear Marks

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Folks -

I just picked up a brand new Kimber Mountain Ascent and noticed this strange wear on the bolt. Anyone see this on their brand new rifle? Is this normal wear from manipulating the bolt?

The backstory - just ordered this rifle from EuroOptic. Picked it up today from my FFL and it turns out this was used as a demo in their store (not shot but fondled in the shop). It looks like the bolt was manipulated without oil and it got marked up.

I was a bit annoyed at first but EuroOptic stepped up and offered to swap the rifle out with another one in their inventory. I didn't want to deal with another trip to the FFL and all the paperwork involved to send the old rifle back and get the replacement, so I just asked for a discount and they refunded $200. I literally got a call from EuroOptic 5 minutes after I sent the email and they offered the discount immediately when I said I didn't want to deal with swapping the rifle. It was so easy I should have asked for more! EuroOptic has A+ customer service...

I contacted Kimber as well, I wonder if it is a manufacturing defect? I wouldn't think the flutes would rub like that but maybe I'm wrong? This is my first Kimber.

What do you guys think? Put some oil on it and call it a day since all the Mountain Ascent bolts will look like this once they are used or should I push Kimber to replace it?

Thanks!

image2.jpeg

BBob

WKR
I don’t know those rifles but it sure looks like the ejector rides along the bolt where the mark is and if it is the ejector I’d speculate it’s going to be a normal thing.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know those rifles but it sure looks like the ejector rides along the bolt where the mark is and if it is the ejector I’d speculate it’s going to be a normal thing.

I would agree. It lines up perfectly with the slot in the bolt for the ejector.

-- Scott

OP
37N23E

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input!

I had a chance to play with it a bit more - looks like when installing the bolt this mark is on the underside of the bolt and seems to match up with the blind magazine area - I guess it must touch slightly and it shined up the matte finish on the bolt a bit. Looks to me like this is normal.

I'll post Kimber's reply when I get it.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Unless I'm seeing things wrong, the mark extends into the bolt where it's fluted. The fixed lips of the internal magazine, or the raceway of the action wouldn't do that. The spring loaded ejector would.

-- Scott

OP
37N23E

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Correct, it does extend into flutes which was puzzling me enough to post and ask around. Appreciate all the input and it’s good to hear that this is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBHasler

WKR
Enjoy your rifle. I’ve got the exact same and it’s a joy to haul around compared to others!
Once you get comfy shooting a light rifle, it will do its job well.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes the ejector has a burr. You can pull the trigger and ejector and stone the edge a tiny bit To allow it to ride over the edges. Don’t get too crazy though. Be prepared with an impact driver, the trigger screw is easy to strip.

OP
37N23E

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoy your rifle. I’ve got the exact same and it’s a joy to haul around compared to others!
Once you get comfy shooting a light rifle, it will do its job well.

Thanks, I plan on giving it a workout this season!

OP
37N23E

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes the ejector has a burr. You can pull the trigger and ejector and stone the edge a tiny bit To allow it to ride over the edges. Don’t get too crazy though. Be prepared with an impact driver, the trigger screw is easy to strip.

Cool - I will take a look. Thanks!

OP
37N23E

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber gave me a call back and stated its perfectly normal...apparently its normal wear from the bolt touching the extractor when cycling.