WTB Kimber Mountain Ascent

iowawhitetailnut

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am looking for a Kimber Mountain Ascent or similar in 280ai or similar. Please pm me if you are interested in selling what i may be looking for. I know of a source locally for a barely used ascent in 270wsm, do you think this caliber would be a mistake for elk and smaller out to 500yards? I already own a 270win. Thanks

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of sheep folks love the 270wsm and thunk it saw a lot interest before the 6.5 saum and now PRC. Hunting mostly in Alaska I don’t get after elk much, but expect there are likely many that have fallen to the tried and true 270win, which I’ve seen harvest moose and bear up here, so could only expect the 270wsm to prove efficient as well. I love the short mags myself for hunting rifles that will be carried a great deal and have several 6.5 saum. A couple 6.5 PRC inbound, 300wsm and 325 wsm. The 270wsm always makes me pause and think if I need/want another, which so far I’ve restrained, but if it were available at a fair price and close to exactly what I wanted, I’d jump on it and enjoy it till I found exactly what I was looking for.

I will add that the Mountain Ascent in the 280ai is one cool mountain killing stick. for elk I bet it would prove perfect with the 168 Berger hybrids. I point to those specifically as the one we have loves them. I picked one of these up a few years ago as a possible plan B if GAP didn’t finish a sheep rifle build in time. It came in so the MA just sat for 2 years till this past spring when I threw a scope on it for my wife to compare with her 22” 6.5 Fieldcraft I had just bought her. I didn’t want to have to hand load for it this year so just grabbed a couple factory choices before our first trip to the range. the federal premium factory ammo with 168gr Berger’s shot ragged holes at 100 yards and still just over .6moa at 500. They chrono‘d right around 2860fps.

She loved both rifles but decided to go with the MA on her hunt. The bullets performed flawlessly on both an interior grizzly at close range and her fall ram at 476yrd.

I wouldn’t hesitate trying out one of the MA’s in 270wsm, but can personally say the 280ai in that gun is impressive. Last note, she shot with the break on. Anyone close to you in the field will hate you when you send it if without full muffs. After her hunt we also ordered us up suppressors for her, I and our kiddo moving forward. I have a few hunting rifles that are ported and loud, but not horridly so, that 280ai and kimber break are painfully dangerous to the ears.

OP
I

iowawhitetailnut

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the great info! I recently bought a christensen ridgeline in 280ai. Havent shot it yet, kinda wishing i would have bought a lighter one. Also heard the ridgeline 280ai’s dont like anything heavy. Kinda surprising, a 1:9 twist should do ok i would think

Vacrt2002

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
kimber break are painfully dangerous to the ears - this is very true!! I have a Subalpine and don’t hunt with the break on.....nice at bench checking zero.....not so much in the woods!