Kimber, Savage & Tikka ??????

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing at all wrong with your 7! Put a new stock on if you want, or buy a new rifle if you want? The lowly 7mm rem mag is somewhat out of fashion I suppose, but that rifle is about as good of a do everything rifle as exists... if you want lighter get lighter, but if that gun shoots, it's "a good'n".
I know that it is a good all-around rifle. I would like to get a new stock for it and I'm a little bit intimidated by the process. I am sure it isn't as hard as I can imagine. I still have a hankering to get a 06' and may do that in a year or two. I let everyone figure out this ultra-lite gun business and will probably be needing a lighter gun anyways by then, I be over 60.

RS3579

WKR
Thank you for this thread. I’m looking at the same manufactures. I’m leaning towards the savage. I had a Tikka, when the bolt knob was closed it would raise up ever so little and it would not allow the safety to moved into the fire position. I thought it was just MY rifle. It has happened to a couple other people that I know also. I know it’s a little thing but it bothered me enough that I sold the rifle. I have several ABolt and Xbolt rifles. The bolt seats very secure and the issue that happened with the tikka never happened with the browning. Maybe put the brownings on your list to look at. Definitely the heaviest by about 6-9 oz. good luck in your search.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I've never owned a Kimber but I have multiple Savage products. When big green went to chit, I started buying Tikkas, currently own 3. Savages work but to quote a friend "they're about as refined as a bathtub still!"

I have been looking at Tikka, Kimber and Savage. Don't like the price of Kimber Moutain Ascent but really like the rifle and it ticks off all of the boxes, a Savage 110 Ultralite and a Tikka Superlite. Don't really like the stock on the Tikka and was a little bit concerned about the changes on the stock when they went to the Ultralite on the Savage in getting rid of the aluminum bedding. I think I am going to go with a 30-06 caliber for ease of buying bullets and all around used on North America game. I was between a 270 and 30-06. Trying to stay out of the Magnums for a lightweight gun. Haven't thought about a gun purchase in years. Help
I just went through this same debate. Superlite vs 110 ultra lite, in 30-06. I’ve decided I’m going with the Tikka T3X Optifade.

Tikka- Pro- Smoother action

Savage- Pro- 22” Proof barrel

Personally I just like the feel of Tikka’s more, and so many people have had problems with savages. My family has had good luck with them tho.

Now I just have to get rid of my X Bolt Hell’s Canyon 30-06...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have all 3 of those.

My savage is a truck gun, it has a kuiu paint job and I got it for a really good price off a used rack, it shoots well but sort of feels cheap. I guess it dosent much matter because it’s a shooter and I bought it as a truck gun. I think I paid 400 dollars for it.

My tikka is nice but I’ve still never really fallen in love with it, it does everything that everybody says. It’s just boringly predictable, it stacks rounds and has a good trigger. The stock feels blocky and I’m not a huge fan of removable magazines but I never had a problem.

The kimbers are the ones I take more often than not, I absolutely love those rifles and I’m hoping to find one in 300wm soon. I’ve never had any accuracy issues and I’ve managed to find several loads that work in mine.

Antares

WKR
I have a Kimber Montana and 2 Tikkas. A Tikka with an upgraded stock would be my choice.

sveltri

WKR
I couldn't be happier with the Savage UL in 6.5 PRC I have, there are certainly better stocks to had but mine shoots extremely well, despite my lack of ability. After what I watched my buddy go through with his Kimber Ascent I'll never buy one, their CS was atrocious and it was not a shooter.

RS3579

WKR
I ended up with the Savage Light Weight Storm. 7mm-08. I have a Swarovski z3 3-10x42 with DNZ scope mounts. 6lb 13oz all together. The stock isn’t the nicest thing but excellent shooting and very nice to carry.

Have never owned or held a Kimber. Do own Tikka T3 SL, Browning HC Speed and Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior. The Tikka is my choice and I have no problems with the stock.

These guys made me buy one and I’m happy I did. I do have a Savage that I love but the Tikka is slick.

I love my Tikka stainless lite in 30-06 But I really have no experience with Kimber or savage. 30-06 ammo is not super easy to find right now but I did see a whole shelf full at Scheels in Sparks last Thursday (prolly 100 boxes) so maybe things are easing up a bit. No selection though ... all Hornady 150 gr SST. They also had about the same amount of .308 in 150 gr SST.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I remember back in January me telling you guys I was going to wait a year or two before getting a 30-06 and well I waited a month and bought a Savage Ultralite with the Proof barrel. Having heard some rumblings coming out of DC thought I better get one while I still could.