Kimber Subalpine/mtn ascent vs New Winchester M70 EWSS

dblb

FNG
Hello everyone,
MN whitetail guy here who got has been bitten by the western hunting bug. I have a Ruger .270 MK77 Mark II right now and I like the mauser stlye action. I want to get into a bigger caliber rifle, probably a 300 wsm or WM. Those that have owned or shot both guns please throw out opinions on the new M70 and the Kimbers. I'm thinking about accuracy, reliability, stock bedding quality, feeding rounds etc...

I'm getting ready to buy one of these guns but I'm not sure which one yet.

Kimber montana in 300wsm here. Feeds great and shoots better. Cant weigh in on the new 70's but I'm sure they are fine rifles. It's flat out taken some abuse. Real early versions, especially in the 8400/wsm action had some very real issues. Kimber appears to have mostly remedied those. I haven't heard/seen consistent QA/QC issues from them in the last several years. I'd have no concerns about buying a kimber post-2010 and likely even earlier.

I initially went with kimber (late 2000's) as they had the weight advantage and I'm not a big fan of B&C stocks (just a personal thing). I've since bought another kimber. I believe the montanas are some of the best value guns on the market for what you get. Ascent/Subalpine you open up a whole new price range that you can explore.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a M70 extreme weather thats about 2 years old now, its an awesome rifle, I love it. Lots of good features for the price and an accurate shooter too. I like pretty much everything about it.

Hudge

FNG
I have the older Model 70 SS, and a friend has the new Model EWS. The only difference I really see is the stock of the rifle. If the weight is of concern the Kimber would be the way to go. I really like my Model 70, and I bought it when I lived in MT. It's a .270WSM and was a great gun for mule deer and antelope.

Last edited:
I’m a huge M70 (CRF), fan and own several, but I also have a couple Kimber’s, including a .300wsm Montana that I bought new when they first came out in ‘05, I think? Anyway, it was a shooter right away and continues to be one of my favorite rifles. The Kimber’s are very well-made, feel really nice in the hands, tough, and damn lightweight, so the Kimber gets my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: