Kimber Subalpine

I had to sand a lot of material out of my Montana stock to get the barrel to not touch. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some good groups.

My first day with the gun my groups were not bad for a hunting rifle at moderate ranges. The fact the barrel was hitting the stock in 3 places made me think it could do better. That and the mag box was too tall. So I fixed the mag and sanded the stock out. Also added a break. Next time out groups were worse than the first time. Found the barrel still hitting the stock but in a different location. Sanded it out. Tomorrow will tell if that was the issue. If not I will remove the break and try again.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I totally agree there. It also takes practice to shoot these rifles well. I think a lot of the issue stems from the availability of lightweight rifles, and the accessibility/price of the kimbers in particular.

Once upon a time, to get a lightweight rifle meant going somewhere like NULA, paying through the nose and having some kind of support there to guide you... someone who could say “hey idiot you gotta do this to make them shoot”. With the price tag people really spent time trying to make it work.

Nowadays your average joe can go up to a big box store and buy a Kimber off the shelf. The guys behind the counter don’t know ish most of the time, so they go home thinking “oh man I paid 1200 for this, this is gonna outshoot everything!” and after their first range trip they’re ready to give up.

I guess it all boils down to knowing what you’re buying.

People are also quick to point out Tikka or Savage like they never have any issues... I’ve personally owned two savages with issues(one headspace, the other I had to open the barrel channel)... and tikka, I’ve had two that wouldn’t shoot and one that had headspace issues. Not to mention whatever stainless tikka uses leaves much to be desired. That’s not to say that either one puts out a crappy product, just that every manufacturer has issues.

I think theres a lot of truth to this. Like you said, anybody can get a lightweight rifle these days without breaking the bank, are all of these people going to shoot enough to get good at using one of these or are they expecting to sight it in, then pull it out a few times a year and shoot it...

Muttly

WKR
I,ve only got one Montana, a little 257 Roberts. Little bugger is a shooter. Ran 5 rounds through rapid fire once just to see how bad it was gonna get, was actually a pretty decent group.
Took it out to the range the other day, thing still shoots.
I will say, there was definitely a learning curve, but that has been true for most of the bows, rifles, or handguns I have messed around with.
Get the odd one that's a natural fit, easy to make a shot right off the bat.
Anyhoo, learn the rifle, it,s little quirks, and it,s great.
But I really have to concentrate a little more with it, relatively tiny rifle, I,m like an over grown orangutan, and every little twitch and tremble can get magnified.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running a Subalpine in 280 AI for the last two years. It's been on multiple hunts with me each year and is a dream to pack. Accuracy is about as good as I can expect for a lightweight rifle and the loose nut behind the butt plate. It's accounted for two bull elk, a whitetail buck, a mule deer buck, and a pronghorn buck in that time. I shot a couple boxes of factory nosler ammo for break in and to produce some once fired brass, and the only handloads I've tried have been with 4831 and Barnes 145 gr lrx. I added a night force shv this winter which will make it slightly heavier, but it's still coming in at approximately 6.75 lbs.

I think it's a great rifle, and I've been pleased with it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I took my 308 out yesterday, I didnt have much time so only put 20 rounds through it, my largest 3 shot group was 1.2" and thats after a long winter of not shooting much at all. I think I'll keep that rifle.

oenanthe

WKR
I have, or have had 3 Kimber light wts. that have all shot sub moa, with factory rounds, right out of the box.

So, if you had it to do all over again, which .30 caliber Kimber would you buy? .30-06, .300 WSM, or .300 Win mag? This would be for all-around Alaska hunting, everything but sheep for which I carry a Montana 7mm-08.

Would appreciate your opinion. I'm looking to add a 2nd Kimber to supplement my 7mm-08. Feel like I want something a little more substantial for moose hunting, and I've got a birthday coming up!

I'm leaning towards the .300 WSM, but would like to get your opinion on the others, particularly with regards to weight/balance/handling.

So, if you had it to do all over again, which .30 caliber Kimber would you buy? .30-06, .300 WSM, or .300 Win mag? This would be for all-around Alaska hunting, everything but sheep for which I carry a Montana 7mm-08.

Would appreciate your opinion. I'm looking to add a 2nd Kimber to supplement my 7mm-08. Feel like I want something a little more substantial for moose hunting, and I've got a birthday coming up!

I'm leaning towards the .300 WSM, but would like to get your opinion on the others, particularly with regards to weight/balance/handling.
When I purchased my first Kimber Montana, it was back when the Montana first came out (2004 or 2005, I can't remember), and, like you, I also wanted it in .30 cal. I already had a Winchester model 70 chambered in .300wm, so I ended up buying the Montana in .300wsm. A few years later I sold the .300wm because the Montana made it obsolete, and I didn't need another safe queen. I still have that rifle and don't have any intentions of ever selling it, so IMO, of those 3 caliber choices, I'd choose the .300wsm. They're all very good caliber choices for pretty much everything we have, and I'm sure a good argument could be made for any one of them, I just prefer the wsm. Although, if I was in the market for what you're looking for, and a great deal came up on any one of the three, that would probably be the one that I bought.

OP
D

dblb

FNG
I just picked up a subalpine in .300 win mag. The WSM was definitely lighter but I went with the WM just because of ammo availability and the number of loads available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
I don't own a Montana in .300 WM ( I do in .300 WSM and a couple other calibers) and if/when I buy another, it will likely be in .300WM.

Did the 300 wsm feed and cycle well?

Sorry, just saw this.

It doesn't feed/cycle as smoothly as a non-wsm (calibers with less angled shoulders), if that makes sense, but I've never had an issue with it hanging up or not feeding. Also, and I know this is not what your asking but, it's been my experience that CRF's typically don't feed as smoothly as push feeds.

I've got a 300wsm montana from 2012 and it feeds and cycles like it is empty. Very little resistance and buttery smooth.

accuracy is top notch also if I do my part.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I know you didn’t ask me but I use a Montana 308 for everything here in AK including sheep. In my opinion, the 308 makes a great cartridge for the Montana, you keep the gun light and trim with the short action but the 308 still has the power for moose and bears. My rifle weighs under 6lbs scoped and shoots pretty well, it has no problem putting 3 shots a bit under an inch if I do my part.

I recently got a mountain ascent in 300wsm completely randomly, it was on a deep discount and had been the floor model at a store for awhile, the manager knocked a few hindered more dollars off the price and I walked out with it for 1000 dollars out the door. I put a meopta meopro 3-9 I had laying around just to get it out and shoot it and I found it to be a pretty impressive gun, I was expecting g it not to feed all that well but it was fine. I’m going to use it for my mou twin goat hunt this year.

oenanthe

WKR
I know you didn’t ask me but I use a Montana 308 for everything here in AK including sheep. In my opinion, the 308 makes a great cartridge for the Montana, you keep the gun light and trim with the short action but the 308 still has the power for moose and bears. My rifle weighs under 6lbs scoped and shoots pretty well, it has no problem putting 3 shots a bit under an inch if I do my part.

I recently got a mountain ascent in 300wsm completely randomly, it was on a deep discount and had been the floor model at a store for awhile, the manager knocked a few hindered more dollars off the price and I walked out with it for 1000 dollars out the door. I put a meopta meopro 3-9 I had laying around just to get it out and shoot it and I found it to be a pretty impressive gun, I was expecting g it not to feed all that well but it was fine. I’m going to use it for my mou twin goat hunt this year.
Yeah, I'd consider a .308 but I already have the 7mm-08. I've taken a moose with it at 270 yards but I want something with a bit more oomph. Basically looking to replace an old heavy 06 that I never carry any more 'cause the Kimber is so light and handy!

Good deal on the wsm! (y) If you're in Fbx and they had any more, I wouldn't mind knowing what store that was!

oenanthe

WKR
When I purchased my first Kimber Montana, it was back when the Montana first came out (2004 or 2005, I can't remember), and, like you, I also wanted it in .30 cal. I already had a Winchester model 70 chambered in .300wm, so I ended up buying the Montana in .300wsm. A few years later I sold the .300wm because the Montana made it obsolete, and I didn't need another safe queen. I still have that rifle and don't have any intentions of ever selling it, so IMO, of those 3 caliber choices, I'd choose the .300wsm. They're all very good caliber choices for pretty much everything we have, and I'm sure a good argument could be made for any one of them, I just prefer the wsm. Although, if I was in the market for what you're looking for, and a great deal came up on any one of the three, that would probably be the one that I bought.

Thanks for the input! Looks like OP picked up a .300WM so maybe he won't mind the thread hijack!:)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah, I'd consider a .308 but I already have the 7mm-08. I've taken a moose with it at 270 yards but I want something with a bit more oomph. Basically looking to replace an old heavy 06 that I never carry any more 'cause the Kimber is so light and handy!

Good deal on the wsm! (y) If you're in Fbx and they had any more, I wouldn't mind knowing what store that was!

It wasn’t in Fairbanks but it was at a sportsman’s warehouse. It wasn’t an actual sale or anything just seemed like a one off. I think I saw some marked down at big rays in Fairbanks last time I was up there. The bigger big rays store, the one with the upstairs not that little one.

Wrench

WKR
I was hoping for better accuracy.

I have a Montana in 300WSM. It's really finicky about how it's shot. I'm going to show you two groups that are the same load from the same gun on the same day by the same shooter.....the only difference is the great group has the forened held down and the other is free recoil from a bipod. Exactly the same bipod too. The tight groups came warm and will come cold too.

These guns are light and recoil fast which affects bullet flight.

Attachments

• 20190526_153124.jpg
    20190526_153124.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190526_153110.jpg
    20190526_153110.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 51
I just picked up a subalpine in .300 win mag. The WSM was definitely lighter but I went with the WM just because of ammo availability and the number of loads available.

So, did you literally just pick it up, or have you had a chance to set it up and get to the range yet? If so, what do you think?