Kimber Talkeetna

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have one...like it a lot. I had the barrel cut down to 21" to make it more handy though as 24" barrels seem like antennas to me ;)

Though I only have shot Sitka deer with it. Cycles super smooth and plenty of lee-way in the mag box. Don't think that because it says Kimber on it you are getting a lightweight rifle though. ;)

It'll be one of the last rifles I ever sell. Will try to get ya a pic or two here in the next day or so.

VernAK

WKR
I had one but a buddy traded me out of it as I have several 375s. It performed and functioned very well. I killed a couple moose, and a bear with it. They are muzzle heavy and I was considering chopping the barrel back as Luke did.

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
I don't understand the weight of this gun. Seems a lot of guys using kimber in the Kevlar/stainless variant want a lighter rifle. It seems kimber missed the mark here. A ruger M77 Alaskan in .375 ruger has more gusto and weighs less ..................and cost less.

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
Also said:
Understand not liking the Hogue. I don't either. The stocks on all the Kimber magnums feel fat to me though.

My thoughts were, for the $1K difference in price between the Kimber and Ruger, you could have the ruger put in a 13 oz MPI stock through Extreme Rifle Works or Mcmillan. The kimber is also on the longer safari length action adding some weight. I do however totally understand wanting a specific caliber though. Although, I'll add that I see almost as much 375 Ruger on shelves as I do H&H anymore. Just trying to provide another perspective.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here ya go...shows my 21" barrel Talkeetna with QD rings and a 8400 ti bolt handle for style points.

Ignore the machine in the back. It can't be the first time you've seen a 140 hp 2 up seat machine with dual gun boots ;)

elkguide

WKR
Here ya go...shows my 21" barrel Talkeetna with QD rings and a 8400 ti bolt handle for style points.

Ignore the machine in the back. It can't be the first time you've seen a 140 hp 2 up seat machine with dual gun boots ;)

Where does your daughter get to put her rifle?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the pics Luke. Nice snow machine too.

I'm convinced hat I need one of these.

Sodbuster

WKR
I have a Talkeetna also and the rifle shoots.
My starting loads with Barnes bullets were just short enough to fit in the box and made a tight little cluster on the target.Load development over.
I agree with the others, better balance is obtained with a shortened barrel.

Luke,who did the work on your gun?

hodgeman

WKR
I don't understand the weight of this gun. Seems a lot of guys using kimber in the Kevlar/stainless variant want a lighter rifle. It seems kimber missed the mark here. A ruger M77 Alaskan in .375 ruger has more gusto and weighs less ..................and cost less.

Well...the Talkeetna has another 3/4" of action and another 4" of heavy contour barrel....not many guy are really wanting an ultralight .375. I've had a Talkeetna, a couple of Ruger Alaskans and a Winchester. 7.5-8 pounds is light for a .375. My Winchester 70 went over 10 pounds bare.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My weatherby comes in just a bit under 8lbs without a scope. I bet I could lighten it up, in fact even though I'm getting a talkeetna, I'm going to hold on to the weatherby and sort of experiment with it, there must be a lighter stock and I could definetly shorten the barrel. Maybe drill out the magazine.

elkguide

WKR
My weatherby comes in just a bit under 8lbs without a scope. I bet I could lighten it up, in fact even though I'm getting a talkeetna, I'm going to hold on to the weatherby and sort of experiment with it, there must be a lighter stock and I could definetly shorten the barrel. Maybe drill out the magazine.

The only thing that I would do to a Weatherby would be to add a fiberglass stock.

GKPrice

Banned

not a Weatherby guy at all BUT isn't the stock for the ultra-light model a Bell & Carlson ? If so B&C are much less $ comparatively and very tough stocks

GKPrice

Banned
Sorry ahead of time but I can't help myself ... Why not get a Tikka Superlight in 30.06, send it to J.E.S. to have him make a 338-06 or 35 Whelen, cut the barrel to whatever length you fancy and "have your cake and eat it too" - inside of 300 yards you wouldn't be giving up much delivered energy ...... ( I'd choose the AI in either, not because of performance but to make brass a bit easier to work with)

hodgeman

WKR
Sorry ahead of time but I can't help myself ... Why not get a Tikka Superlight in 30.06, send it to J.E.S. to have him make a 338-06 or 35 Whelen, cut the barrel to whatever length you fancy and "have your cake and eat it too" - inside of 300 yards you wouldn't be giving up much delivered energy ...... ( I'd choose the AI in either, not because of performance but to make brass a bit easier to work with)

As good as the 338-06 and 35 Whelen are....they are certainly not in the same class as the .375. In most loads the .375 is going to carry 25% more energy and has more frontal area.

In N. America you're unlikely to need such a cannon- but after shooting several critters with both .338WM and the .375...the .375 is certainly a more dramatic killer.

GKPrice

Banned
As good as the 338-06 and 35 Whelen are....they are certainly not in the same class as the .375. In most loads the .375 is going to carry 25% more energy and has more frontal area.

In N. America you're unlikely to need such a cannon- but after shooting several critters with both .338WM and the .375...the .375 is certainly a more dramatic killer.

I know - it was the "lightweight" part that I couldn't leave alone ....

Sodbuster

WKR
Newmexican

Also, big thing here, I'm not really trying to add a caliber right now because I'm actually in the bush. I'm not on the road system so I'm trying to keep it simple. I like the 375HH because it's worked great on moose for me in the past but I get a bit of confidence when it comes to bear protection too because the bears here are big and I usually hunt alone.

Agreed.Where we Moose hunt,Black Bears are ever present and Griz tracks appear once in awhile.
If there is an attempted hostile takeover on a pile of Moose meat a 375 H&H is about perfect for an equalizer.

GKPrice

Banned

Hey Luke - are those QD rings on the kicker ?