Kimber vs bergara

Justin91

FNG
Hi, I am looking into a new rifle for backpack hunting. I am trying to stay around 8 pounds or less with the gun, scope, and mounts. I'm interested in the 6.5 CM in the kimber hunter or the bergara wilderness Ridgeline in the
6.5 cm. Maybe even the 6.5 prc. Does anyone have any experience with either rifle or cal? Thank you

You’re comparing apples to oranges here.

The kimber, depending on scope selection will be 6-7lbs. The Ridge is 7.5lbs with no scope or rings on it.

Either rifle will shoot, it’s up to you if you want the ultra lightweight Kimber or the kinda chunky ridge. I(and many others) shoot heavier guns better for what it’s worth, but on some hunts my 6lb Kimber Montana is better than lugging a 10lb beast up the mountain, even if I have to reduce my range a bit.

jfs82

WKR
Yeah, you'll have a much harder time hitting light weight goals with the Bergara, unless you go with their higher end premier mountain (6.2 lbs in 6.5 I believe). I have a ridge in 6.5 cm and it shoots phenomenally but it is not light (not real heavy either).

Based on your total rifle weight goals, you'd be better served to look at the Bergara Mountain series of rifles (premier line) if budget permits.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kimber Hunter in 6.5, and it's an all around great gun. Very light and easy to carry. I think it comes down to what you're going to be using it for. If you're packing into austere environments, then the Kimber Hunter would be the better choice. Now, the 6.5 isn't a heavy recoiling round, but when you shoot it out of a 6 LBS rifle, it does start to pack a little bit of a punch after a few rounds. Also, if you're going to be shooting off the bench a ton, the Kimber Hunters barrel is going to heat up after 4 rounds. You're going to be sitting round waiting on your barrel to cool off pretty often. My set up weights 6 lbs 7 ounces with a 3-9x40 leupold mounted.

vhr1079

FNG
Also keep in mind the Kimber is a controlled-feed vs the Bergara's push feed. Personally, I don't like the feel of controlled feed but they have their place. Just my opinion..