King Eiders?

Who has all done it/who is looking to do it? I personally did it in Greenland in March of 2020 before covid shut the world down. Greenland is now opened back up to foreign visitors, as is St Paul after a year off for both programs. I want to go do it in St. Paul one day to say I shot a King from the east and west coast flock, but that said I'm in no hurry to go get my butt kicked by the Bering sea lol. That's a few seasons off anyways, I'm doing Cold Bay and Adak first. Price for Greenland is about the same or just under some of the Alaska trips, but air travel is a lot less weather dependent.

The limit in Greenland is 8 Kings and you can shoot common eiders (borealis subspecies). It was cold, but there is no humidity...to speak to that it was kind of interesting to see clothes hanging out to dry outside in subzero temperatures and not become a solid sheet of ice. Temps range from single digits to 20's in March, but there was not much wind or chop on the water. Most days winds were under 5-10 mph. Birds were easy to get home with a little bit of paperwork (similar to Mexico). I have a 5 bird courtship mount still being done that I'm hoping to get back before fall.

Curious to hear experiences from those who have done it. The Northern Lights show every night in Greenland was cool, my personal first time seeing them and they were dancing all night every clear night. On our travel day we hit some of the local shops, it was very interesting to see some of the local artwork. It was hard to beat the fresh caribou, whale, halibut, and other local delicacies they had to offer. Seal was a bit strong for my palate lol, but Kings made for surprisingly good table fare.

This video has a bunch more pictures from our trip:

Attachments

• IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3277.jpeg
    IMG_3277.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3137.jpeg
    IMG_3137.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 28
  • commonpair.jpg
    commonpair.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 28
  • kingcommon.jpg
    kingcommon.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 44106BF1-B20C-4623-A2F8-E2214EF42FEB.jpeg
    44106BF1-B20C-4623-A2F8-E2214EF42FEB.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

KJH

WKR
Its #1 on my list to do. Its the last "first time" hunt I have left on my list. I almost had a couple guys lined up to go a few years ago...

OP
M
Its #1 on my list to do. Its the last "first time" hunt I have left on my list. I almost had a couple guys lined up to go a few years ago...
Right on. It was my #1 trip too. I booked through Midwest Hunting Consultants for many years for other trips and was one of the first clients offered this hunt. It blew me away, really happy that I went the Greenland route first. I believe they still have some openings for the next two spring hunts in Greenland.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
They are definitely on the To Do list of me and my buddy. We just need to pull the proverbial trigger on booking a hunt.

OP
M
They are definitely on the To Do list of me and my buddy. We just need to pull the proverbial trigger on booking a hunt.
I was in that same boat, then I had this opportunity come up with about 6-8 weeks to prepare for the trip financially and otherwise LOL. I know they have some dates available for 2022 and 2023 in Greenland for now. St Paul is booking a few years out.

jedi

FNG
oh that is a dream bird for me! one of these days, when stuff settles down, ill make it happen. thanks for sharing the experience