Kiowa 3200 hauling meat

Buddro

FNG
I have been given 300$ and instructed to get a pack with it. I have a barneys freighter frame for long trips and heavy loads. I need something for day to couple day trips that is capable of getting antelope, coues deer, javelina size stuff back to the truck. I don't want to make two trips out of smedium animals especially when I don't have much kit with me. What have your experiences been getting game out with the kiowa 3200? How cleanly does the 3200 nest with SG frames if I decided to grab one later down the road does it feel like the bag was meant to be on the frame or does it feel like you are just tieing a full stand alone pack onto a frame? When you strap this bag to a frame does it still allow plenty of load room between the frame and the bag like the other bags?

I have only really looked at SG, in the past I have looked at many brands and SG just appeals to me. I am open to other suggestions, I prefer simpler bags, few if any zippers, few if any pouches on the outside. I like Kifaru but they just have more junk on the outside for me.

The evo 40 or an even smaller version of the same would probably be the most appealing to me if budget wasn't a thing.

I suppose I should ask about peoples experience using SG external frame packs as day packs, do the frames hang a lot on brush, are they comfortable as a pack can be to draw a bow in? Maybe, I shell out the cash for a bare frame and lash a small bag to it until I come up with money to put a bag I like more on it.

I’m new to SG coming from years of mystery ranch and the difference is tremendous. I used a 6400 for the last half of my sheep hunt and packing in camp was 100x more comfortable than with the Beartooth and MT guide lite frame. I had also purchased the Evo but sent it back in for the Avail instead. I have no issues drawing my bow with the X curve frame.

I don't have a Kiowa, but I just can't see any way you're going to want to haul meat with one using it as a stand-alone system. You need a real frame for meat hauling.

I use a SG X-Curve routinely for day hunting. It's overall height isn't unlike competitors like Kifaru / Exo / Mystery Ranch. They're all going to similarly get hung up on brush or whatever. If that is a concern, you might consider the Exo K3 or the Seek Outside frame; both have adjustable frame heights, so you could hunt in short mode and once you kill convert to tall mode for more load lifting ability.

nphunter

WKR
I wouldn't worry about getting hung up on anything, my everyday pack for the last 5yrs has been a Kifaru duplex hunter, I've ran multiple different bags on it and have settled on the exo 4800 bro bag. I have put close to 1K miles in all kinds of terrain with that backpack on and don't worry at all about hanging up. I hunt thick timber mostly for elk with a bow, my bow hangs up on way more brush and branches than my pack. Every now and then if I'm walking under a low fallen tree the pack with rub but that's a non-issue for me and any pack would do the same.

I also don't drop my pack when stalking and have killed a lot of animals with the pack on my back and have never had an issue. I would suggest buying a nice frame and then like you mentioned a bag later. I have found I can make almost any bag functional on the Kifaru frame with all of their attachment points. I'm currently running a grab-it and an extra strap under my bag so I can drop the pack and haul the second load with only the frame. Just looking at pictures it will be easier to adapt a bag to the Exo or Kifaru frame than the SG. I do like the ability to swap bags for whatever I want.

One thing to consider if just getting a frame is that you will want to be able to haul whatever bag you put on it out with the meat and not have to make a trip back for it. Most companies make compression strap kits for their packs though and those are super useful for adapting bags or strapping things on.