Kirk Ellis and devils mountain lodge

keller

WKR
That's one important thing.their was water flowing across in about 15 spots I wore hip waders to see how deep the ruts were and where to cross.i had a 4×4 truck seen 1 rental car about half way with bumper fascia torn off. Stop at ranger station just off the highway they can fill you in and they have a CD that explains all the highlights of the road.it was an enjoyable drive.oh ya and look for sheep I seen some on the way in.

NormDog

FNG
thanks this is helpful. already changed rental to truck. if it gets damaged, it will not be the first one I have hurt while hunting but the 3rd or 4th:).

163bc

FNG
Just 2 be safe I would get a truck or SUV W 4 wheel drive. Doubt you will need it but it’s Alaska.

Sandbrew

FNG
Normdog- Get the damage waiver! Your last sheep and rental truck experience wasn't a good one......

oenanthe

WKR
I've driven that road a number of times. You might be just fine with a small car, but I always take a 4wd truck. Last year there was pretty good flooding at Trail Creek, Lost Creek, and another creek closer to the lodge. On the way out we drove past a full-size truck that had been well stuck and abandoned. My buddy who drives a bigger rig was impressed that my '98 Tacoma made it through easily. It helps to pick the right place to cross.

chisana

FNG
If it's a dry summer you can make it to Nabesna in a normal car or small SUV. If Trail Creek or Lost Creek are running high it can close the road. Kirk can pick you up at Duffy's or Sportsman's if that happens. The major rental car companies don't allow their vehicles on the Nabesna Road.