Knee braces?

*zap*

WKR
I am interested in a good knee brace for hiking/packing. I have a few sets of older donjoy braces that have metal hinged support but am wondering what is available in the newer technology?

I already have trekking poles.....thanks in advance for the great responses!

Last edited:

mthayr

WKR
Bauerfeind were recommended to my by my knee surgeon after an orthoscopy - served me very well. There are cheaper knock-offs on Amazon under the name "NEENCA Professional Knee Brace" if you're willing to try them out. They look the same, but until mine wear out I won't really know if they're identical.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m in the process right now. Working with a local prosthetics lab.

Just had the consultation and learned a ton about what I need. They’ve ordered mine to come back and try in a week or two so I’ll let you know more when I do.

But it was totally helpful to get in front of somebody that knows about all the different functions of the types of knee braces. I need one for loss of ACL and loss of joint space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate talking knees….I found this to be as good as any for my arthritic knee…I have pretty much tried them all over 3 decades of knee surgeries…depends on your issue…if arthritic and not stability issues ie no acl etc this likely would do the trick…good luck🤙

Attachments

• 4D245FE3-17A0-42A3-AE8B-432760A8E9E1.png
    4D245FE3-17A0-42A3-AE8B-432760A8E9E1.png
    486.1 KB · Views: 32

68Plexi

WKR
ACL surgery 25 years ago and I’ve tried just about everything. This has mostly been for skiing/snowboarding, but also hiking.

I’ve had custom Donjoy hinged braces, but they always seemed to not stay in place well and were uncomfortable after a few hours. For hiking I’ve tried a bunch of neoprene sleeves including the Donjoy bionic full stop (combo neoprene/metal hinge).

The most comfortable (over a 4+ hr period) I’ve used, and ironically it was one of the cheapest was this:

a1676addb59c48c2ed42e9dda4f75da8.jpg

I don’t know how much support you need, and I have only used this brace for the past 6 months but it’s been comfortable and enough support for hiking and snowboarding for me. More comfortable than the Donjoy full stop, doesn’t take up too much real estate on your leg either.

If you have insurance that will pay for a custom fit, it’s worth seeing what’s available. If not, something like this is worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
ACL reconstruction
And I’ve got terrible arthritis

9539BC07-2355-4303-9BCA-5833B9F2CF0E.jpeg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The most comfortable (over a 4+ hr period) I’ve used, and ironically it was one of the cheapest was this:
I have one similar to that, that I've had for years now. I also have a neoprene sleeve type that I've used on occasion. I might be using both this year (on different knees), but if that's what it takes to keep me hunting, then so be it.