Knee Pad Recommendations?

Crusader

WKR
My buddy and I will be hunting antelope in NE Wyoming during rifle season. What do you guys recommend for knee pads? I know there are various options and materials (plastic, fabric, etc.) available but would like some thoughts based on experience. I'd prefer to not break the bank with this purchase.

Also, do you think elbow pads are a necessity as well?

Thanks in advance!

*zap*

WKR
For pants with pockets-Crye Precision Airflex, either all foam or foam and plastic. For strap on-Arc'teryx knee cap protectors, I wear mine over base/under pant. I use knee pads daily for work and always wear them for hunting.

Most pants with pockets will not put the pad in the correct place for every person. High end field pants like Crye have a system that allows adjustment in the placement of the pocket up/down and a strap system to hold the pad over the knee cap for the left/right fit.

for not breaking the bank these at link below (i have a different brand but same price point from menards) have worked 3 seasons for me. Having that strap on your skin is less comfortable on long hikes than a pocket in the pants but seems to keep the pad in the right place to drop to a knee much better. I wear them under the pants if I'm expecting a stalk or just keep them in a pocket and throw on OTP in a pinch.

Those Arc'teryx look pretty sweet though.

I've never used elbow pads but prefer a glove that protects palm and knuckle.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/McGuire-Nicholas-Ultralight-Knee-Pads-2DM-318UL/300445820

TX_Diver

WKR
I bought the $10 husky ones at home depot mid hunt a few weeks ago.

They worked great but I'll probably look for something slightly lower profile before my next one. Heard of some people wearing volleyball kneepads which seem like they'd work well IMO.

Rich M

WKR
I did the antelope thing in NE WY in 2017. Did not find a true need for knee pads. Dad some cheapo pads in case I thought I would need them. Leather gloves, while little need, were used more.

All that said, there are cactus in the grass and prairie - you'll see most of them.

Have a fun hunt!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I use volleyball knee pads, soft, flexible, quiet, made to sweat in, and keep all the stickers out. Run you about $12 on amazon. My first WY antelope hunt I didn’t think I needed them. I think it was a month later some cactus was still working itself out of my legs.

Does anyone know which pads will fit in the Kryptek Alaios pants? It seems they discontinued their proprietary ones, or at least I can’t find them anywhere.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back and used the bodyprox pads off of amazon for $13. They worked great both over or under my pants. I put them on one morning for a stalk and just left them on the rest of the day. Actually helped while skinning and processing while in the field. I have no use for knee pads other wise so this was a great option.

Carr5vols

WKR
Did the same hunt last year near Buffalo, never used the pads I bought for my son and I so returned them. What we did use was white tyvek paint suits as we dealt with snow 3-4 days last year during second week of season. It's a fun hunt.

I did the antelope thing in NE WY in 2017. Did not find a true need for knee pads. Dad some cheapo pads in case I thought I would need them. Leather gloves, while little need, were used more.

All that said, there are cactus in the grass and prairie - you'll see most of them.

Have a fun hunt!
I think there a lot of us that would disagree with those assessments !

Sitka Timberline pants with the foam knee pads work pretty well actually, I made some pads for them from a roll up backpackers sleeping pad too that are good - I like the Acteryx pads a lot too
I NEEDED knee pads before I had knee replacements done, NOW they're a must believe me (it's a very personal thing) LEATHER gloves too ….

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted the last few years south of buffalo and used them on spot and stalk for antelope and mule deer. First year I bought pair for guys to lay hardwood floors. They helped big time. Last few years I've been using hunting pants from Pnuma that have come with foam knee pads you can take out if you don't need them. They have been the ticket.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a pair of military surplus knee pads that I got for, I think, $6 or $8 at a surplus store. They seem bombproof, but I don’t use them that much because they’re too heavy to pack in but my legs sweat too much to wear them while hiking. Tag says Alta Industries. Photos attached.

Attachments

• D34B28F5-595A-41CF-84F0-B3237B5C231B.jpeg
    D34B28F5-595A-41CF-84F0-B3237B5C231B.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 58FAF75B-34BA-408D-A7E8-BCD425256435.jpeg
    58FAF75B-34BA-408D-A7E8-BCD425256435.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 23

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I like the looks of those and the price. i might have to try a pair. I have some pants with knee pads but they seem to hang to low on me. I thinking a external knee pad would work better.