Knee pads in hunting pants

Have any of you guys ever put an alternate material in the knee pad area of your hunting pants? In particular the Sitka pants. I was wondering if there were after market options for a knee pad with a smaller footprint and a bit thinner. Heck….Maybe even something homemade.

Dented

WKR
You can purchase closed cell foam in varying thickness, pattern the pads you want from the ones you already have, cut and insert. Lots of great choices on the market for padding.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The knee pads in Canis pants are way smaller and thinner than Sitka. My favorite knee pads of any pants I’ve tried. Maybe see if they will sell you a pair of just the knee pads to try out.

*zap*

WKR
The reason the pads are thick is so they will protect your knees. The reason the pads are the size they are is so when you kneel and your pants are not 'just so' they protect your knees instead of being in the wrong place to protect your knees.

If you put a smaller pad in a sitka knee pad pocket you will need to find a way to keep it in the correct place.....

Personally I prefer the outside the pant pockets for pads...

Last edited:
I have a set from 1/8 foam. They are enough to take the edges off rocks if you kneel or crawl a bit but no protection to speak of.

kuiu pro pants have low pro knee pads.

jtvl21

FNG
Has anyone used pants with knee pads built in for saddle hunting? I’m not really a fan of the bulky over the pants pads that most people use.

Sdonx

FNG
Classified Approved
This year I used knee support with pads. They go inside on bare skin. Seem to work great and provided support too. Ill try and find a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Has anyone used pants with knee pads built in for saddle hunting? I’m not really a fan of the bulky over the pants pads that most people use.
I tried it in my first lit corrugate and catalyst foundry. Not a fan. I just take them out and put them in a box. I prefer my AWP ones from lowes

Attachments

• F0A188DB-AC4D-4B7C-B45F-3CFE9F52E58F.jpeg
    F0A188DB-AC4D-4B7C-B45F-3CFE9F52E58F.jpeg
    754.5 KB · Views: 31

NCtrapper

FNG
Has Anyone Tried the FirstLite Corrugate Foundary Pant with removeable knee pads for saddle hunting? I bought knee pads that I didn't really like and was considering these pants for saddle hunting on the East Coast. I've also hear these pants can be a little too warm at times and noisy.

Lowg08

WKR
Has Anyone Tried the FirstLite Corrugate Foundary Pant with removeable knee pads for saddle hunting? I bought knee pads that I didn't really like and was considering these pants for saddle hunting on the East Coast. I've also hear these pants can be a little too warm at times and noisy.
The corrugate is not an issue in my opinion. I have two pairs. I’ve not noticed being too hot or too loud. Im going to try the knee pads but thinking of doubling them up

WoodBow

WKR
They work fine. They are great pants. I love the big zip vents. However the built in knee pads are not going to provide sufficient comfort for long sits. I tend to be more a leaner than a sitter in my saddle. The foundry knee pads provide me with enough cushion to sit for short periods to rest or to maneuver for a shot.

NCtrapper

FNG
They work fine. They are great pants. I love the big zip vents. However the built in knee pads are not going to provide sufficient comfort for long sits. I tend to be more a leaner than a sitter in my saddle. The foundry knee pads provide me with enough cushion to sit for short periods to rest or to maneuver for a shot.
Thanks, thats kind of where I am. I find myself leaning but didnt like the knee pads I had for when I was against the tree. I think that I'll order them and see how it goes.

slowelk

WKR
I'd be more curious if anyone has stitched in knee pad pockets to pants without them. I'd love some knee pads in my attack pants.

NCtrapper

FNG
I'd be more curious if anyone has stitched in knee pad pockets to pants without them. I'd love some knee pads in my attack pants.
This also crossed my mind, i guess I was waiting for someone else to figure out how to do it

i use the corrugate and catalyst foundry line for saddle hunting and i have found the knee pads work well enough for me, although they do not grip to the tree like some aftermarket/outside-of-pants knee pads.