Knee Pads

Who's running them this year? I just bought some and I hope that I can justify carrying them (along with trekking poles and Crocs).

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got arcteryx knee caps. But I think I will take a different set. I got a pair of the cheap foam ones and think they'll be great for kneeling around camp or when butchering an animal.

The foam ones cost $5 and weigh 1.2 oz. my arcteryx knee caps cost $50 and weigh 8 oz.

My Sitka pants have kneepads in them already. I really like them, and they don't bother me too much while hiking around. They are especially nice in antelope country, where everywhere you kneel or crawl seems to have cactus.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of the 5.11 pads that go with the ASAT pants I bought from S and S Archery. This will be my first time trying knee pads in the field though.

2rocky

WKR
When I drew a CO antelope tag I wore these clip ons from Dexter Meadows.

home-left-new.jpg

Good concept...but didn't get me a buck though..

I'll say they help. +1 for me on using them. Some guys that I hunted Antelope with in Montana on the great plains one year gave me a hard time seeing me bring them along. They sure help though when crawling on the ground sneaking up on critters. Picking prickly pear needles out of knees or smacking a rock in the knee cap does not feel all that good to me at least. :)

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
If I have the chance I prefer to shoot from my knees; I'm a more steady shot from there. Since I have a floater in my knee that the doc says to leave alone I'm giving them a try.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Krytpek Gear has the knee pads and the option to take them out of the pants if wanted. I have found this very beneficial and can barely even tell they are there until you need to use them.

Reflex

FNG
I started wearing volleyball knee pads underneath my pants. They are comfortable, stay on my knee, and still protect them from all of the thorns!

RUTTIN

WKR
My Core4 Element pants have them built in, with the option to take them out when you don't want them. It took some getting used to, but now that I have wore them a little I don't even notice them. (other than when I am kneeling down and my knees don't hurt)

TXCO

WKR
I wear them. I used to use foam ones and now am working off the ones built into my pants (sitka timberline). They saved my knee saturday when I slipped on a rock face and smacked my knee hard. My knee still hurts and I cant even imagine what would have happend if I wasnt wearing them. I like how they dont have straps around my leg for more airflow/less restriction.

rjs34

FNG
I also use the knee pads that come with the c4e pants. I just used them on a wilderness Nevada archery hunt last week and they were great. I put them in for a stalk and just kept them in as they didn't bother me. Very light weight yet comfortable.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I took them back to the truck at the first resupply. After I returned without them I regretted it. They shall be on my knees from here on out.