Knee replacement (TKR) scheduled for first week of July

Had ACL, MCL, ALL, and meniscus reconstruction/repair in 2016. Since then cartilage has worn down to bone on bone. ACL failed sometime since original surgery. I've had enough pain and limited activity.

Best Doc in our area doing surgery in two weeks. I know from experience what to expect for the first couple weeks. I got back 95% range of motion after the last surgery, so looking forward to the "pain makes progress" phase, and the good results rehab brings.

Most importantly this will stop the damage to my hips and back that favoring one leg is causing.

Any words of wisdom from those who have been through this?

Have not been through it but know several that have. Unfortunately, I hear both the post surgery pain and rehab suck. Hope you make it through OK and get back to doing what you enjoy soon.

OP
Mike Islander
Have not been through it but know several that have. Unfortunately, I hear both the post surgery pain and rehab suck. Hope you make it through OK and get back to doing what you enjoy soon.

Appreciate that. Yes, I am anticipating lots of pain. I tell me nephews to consider pain temporary discomfort. That's how I think about it. Pay to play.

I've had two dramatic joint surgeries (shoulder, knee). Rehabbed till tears rolled down my face in both cases, and in both cases it paid off with almost complete range of motion. Will do the same for this one.

As I am today, I can't carry a pack more than a few hundred yards. Can't elk hunt. Can't run. I won't run much after. That would wear out the implants. But knowing that I can if I want to will get me through the pain.

Jbehredt

WKR
I know 4 people with a total of 6 bionic knees. No regrets for any of them. Other than the neighbor who says she wishes she could have don’t both at the same time. She said it was hard to go back for the second after the pain of the first but she’s glad she did. Two of them had a similar situation with their one bad knee killing their hips and back. To see them today you wouldn’t know they walked with a major limp years ago. Another guy, I didn’t know he had two falsies until I’d known for months. If you are a good rehab patient you’ll have great results.

mlgc20

WKR
My Godfather had both knees replaced a few years ago. I was stunned at how quickly he recovered. They had him walking the same day as the surgery. He was back playing golf in 4 months. All pain free for the first time in 10 years. Modern medicine can be pretty awesome. Best of luck in your recovery.

mlgc20

WKR
Sure appreciate the happy stories. I've heard the bad ones, so please don't post them. :)
I know quite a few people that have had knee and hip replacement surgeries. Honestly, I can't think of one that regretted doing it or had a bad experience. Some take a little longer to recover than others. But, for most of them it is a positive, essentially life-changing experience. We will be thinking happy thoughts for you.

OP
Mike Islander
I know quite a few people that have had knee and hip replacement surgeries. Honestly, I can't think of one that regretted doing it or had a bad experience. Some take a little longer to recover than others. But, for most of them it is a positive, essentially life-changing experience. We will be thinking happy thoughts for you.

Brother I sure do appreciate that! Same here regarding people I know who have done it, including my mother in law at 85. Life restoring.

I just got tired of 4 years of pain, and there was no way I was not going to hunt and pack out an elk in my lifetime.

Fullfan

WKR
At 54 I was involved in a horrific vehicle crash. Which broke my pelvis, hip, right femur went through my knee. Spent 18 months non weight bearing on right leg. TKR was re required to walk again. Blessed with a wonderful ortho surgeon who now has become a close friend. 14 days after my TKR surgery I was able to kill a PA spring gobbler,. My advise is get up and get moving ASAP. Listen to the PT folks. I only have a 90 degree range of motion due to my injuries. But I still continue to chase and kill elk, deer and gobblers. Willpower and determination is what keeps me moving. Will not lie to you, there were days I wanted to quit the pain and discomfort was that bad. You will be fine....

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a PT- post-op rehab won't be nearly as bad for you as it was for your shoulder or your previous knee surgery (at least in most cases). Give me a TKA rehab over an ACL any day of the week in terms of time and discomfort. I see people 6 weeks, sometimes 8 if they're really active. My dad his done 3 weeks ago and doesn't walk with a limp and has been walking 3-4 miles already.

But saying that everyone is different, some people take longer, some shorter. I've even seen patients where the 1st one goes really well and the 2nd one takes longer. Try not to compare yourself to others, you'll get there eventually. You should be hunting this fall if all goes right! Good luck, don't hesitate to reach out.

OP I am glad you posted this, as I have knee issues now. From past MRI's I know I had small tears. I am also positive they have grown. I have a upcoming MRI to see just how bad my right knee is. I am pretty sure this will result in some type of medical treatment. So now, I am kinda looking forward to it.

I'm 37 and I had microfracture and ALC surgery last july. There was a 50 year old man getting knee replacement the same day as me. A week later in physical therapy we happened to meet. He was walking that week, I was on crutches and was on those crutches for the next 5 weeks. We talked and he was a runner and hiked. I crossed paths at wal mart in early October and he asked me if I had been out hunting yet. I was still struggling but I was getting ready to try to climb some trees. He on the other hand had been hiking but not running. I asked my physical therapist about knee replacement vs. my surgery. Long story short it seems like my surgery will keep me able to run and be athletic while i still have some youth left, his replacement means little high impact activities, but some things like hiking could be achieved.

Backyard

WKR
I had a TKR on 1/21/20. The healing part is the worst for me. I'm far ahead in the rehab part but the frustrating part is having to wait for the body to catch up as it were. It will only heal so fast no matter what shape you're in (1-1 1/2 yrs total). I was in top shape going in, but I'm not as far along as I'd like to be at this point yet. Albeit I am way ahead of the majority of those that have a TKR according to my PT. There wont be an elk hunt this year for me.
Good luck! Go in to surgery with as much strength and mobility as you can an you'll be that much ahead coming out of it.

I’m on almost 4 years of a TKR. Not sure how old you are but I was 41 at the time. It was a steady progression of surgeries from a skiing accident in college. All I can say is it’s the best thing I have done. It took about a year to get feeling “good” with it but now man it feels great. I didn’t realize how much it impacted my mobility until I got it back.

There were some that said I was too young to have it done and that I’ll have to have it redone at some point in my life. Maybe I will. All I know is that medicine and surgical techniques are improving daily. The knee that I had installed is way better than the ones that were installed 20 years ago that lasted 20 years so who knows how long this will last. All I know is I’m enjoying the hell out of it right now and if it needs to get fixed someday so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father had double knee replacement last year in April at 61. Recovery and rehab were rough for sure, but we were climbing hills in Eastern MT for mule deer in November and he ran a half marathon in January. He said it’s best decision he ever made. He had gotten to the point of constant pain and he was going to need assistance walking very soon but doctors always want to wait as long as possible. Two biggest things:
1) get moving ASAP, the next day they try to get you taking steps, stick to the therapy and move every day no matter what
2) take the pain medicine before therapy, not after

OP
Mike Islander
Wow, so many great reports, and thank you for the well wishes and words of encouragement.

I am 58 years old and have always been an athlete. I ride off road dirt bikes once a week or so plus surf and bicycle a lot. I am also on painkillers every day. That's what lead me to this point. Not too much pain with bent knee, which is why I can dirt bike and surf, but straighten the knee and it's a 7 out 10 pain wise. That means no hiking, backpacking, running, or anything that needs that range of mobility. And the inevitable motion of the things I can do does include enough straightened contact that I am severely sore the next day.

My knee surgery was traumatic, but I worked hard and have great ROM. Doc says I might get even more after TKR, since bone misalignment and arthritis are what are limiting me now.

My ACL MCL surgery
20160601_151857_010.jpg

Post surgery fitness
20180119_161744.jpg

Hopefully when I get the new knee it will eliminate constant pain, and more importantly get me into the back country hunting elk.

Last edited:

Backyard

WKR
Wow, so many great reports, and thank you for the well wishes and words of encouragement.

I am 58 years old and have always been an athlete. I ride off road dirt bikes once a week or so plus surf and bicycle a lot. I am also on painkillers every day. That's what lead me to this point. Not too much pain with bent knee, which is why I can dirt bike and surf, but straighten the knee and it's a 7 out 10 pain wise. That means no hiking, backpacking, running, or anything that needs that range of mobility. And the inevitable motion of the things I can do does include enough straightened contact that I am severely sore the next day.

My knee surgery was traumatic, but I worked hard and have great ROM. Doc says I might get even more after TKR, since bone misalignment and arthritis are what are limiting me now.

My ACL MCL surgery
View attachment 190531

Post surgery fitness
View attachment 190535

Hopefully this new knee will eliminate constant pain and more importantly get me into the back country hunting elk.
I forgot to add that I'm 57

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04