Knee replacement......

rodney482

WKR
It started with a few sports injuries and then I had a total knee blowout while doing an elk pack out. (6 years ago)

I had two surgeries right after the elk hunt. Been dealing with swelling and pain on every hunt, mri shows major osteoarthritis. Ive done injections and those no longer help, 2 surgeons suggest full knee replacement.

So any backcountry hunters here w a bionic knee?

My surgery is in 2 weeks. 7909562A-62C0-4A2C-8E2B-E518AFFF4FC8.jpeg

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Sorry to hear Rodney. I think you are better off doing it sooner than later, my Dad put it off for to long and now he regretting not doing it sooner.

Lost Buck

FNG
I know what your going through get the replacement do the rehab to the fullest and then some you will be back in the mountains the same year just have to take it a little easier at first I done a total knee a few years ago age 59 been to Colorado Idaho and back to Idaho again this year . Best friends dad just had a replacement done and he is going with us also 67 years old . Do the rehab!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck Rodney, I’ve seen some success stories in my business with guys that have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can live with the pain, and if you are still able to do what you love (hunt) then it’s probably not time to get it done yet. You can expect 6 months of recovery before you would want to attempt anything even slightly strenuous. It will take the full 6 months no matter how in shape you are. It should feel “good” after a year or so. You will never be able to run again. You will never pack out an animal again on your back. If you do too much and screw up the knee, you will be worse off than you are now for the rest of your life. If it gets infected you are going to be miserable and probably worse off for the rest of your life than you are now.

If you look at the data, knee replacements do not do very well in guys younger than 50 (and by extension someone older who is active or in good shape). These things do very well in little old ladies who want to go to the grocery store and get their hair done once a week. They do not do well with fit guys who want to go back to trail running.

So make sure you are in an unbearable state of existence before you go under the knife. That would be my advice after seeing 100ish of these in clinic and hearing the same complaints from younger guys over and over about how easy they thought it would be and why can’t I run doc. Obviously have this convo with your surgeon (and NOT their PA/NP) and discuss what exactly you are hoping to do on your new knee and on what time frame. They should give it to you straight as they do not want unhappy customers. This does not constitute medical advice just my opinion/experience.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck and keep us updated this likely will be something I have to do in the next five years so want to hear your progress.

I've had both knees and both hips replaced over a period of about 10 years. I can't get around quite as well or as fast but I'm pain free and that's everything. If your in pain, find a great surgeon and have it done. I'm still huntin fishin and lovin every day.

Backyard

WKR
I'm in almost the exact same boat. Mine took a crap on the second day 2 miles back last year. I think Willfrye has the best advice (my Doc said basically the same). Get the injections til you can't bear it any longer. I've come to grips with the fact that it's just gonna hurt from here on out. Some days better, some worse.
Good luck!

If able I would do stem before replacement. Once you has a replacement you have the largest Bactria magnetic your body has ever seen... for life.

If you can’t do stem then it is what is what it is and you need to be ultra careful with infections.

ODB

WKR
A very good friend just had his done. Nothing stopping him - and chukar is his main quarry.

Let these conversations be a lesson to you guys bragging about 100+++ lb. pack outs and blah blah... it is painful and expensive when “not me” becomes “oh shit, what was that crunching sound in my ankle/hip/knee...”

danarnold

WKR
I strongly disagree with some of the above
I had bilateral(both) knee replacement February 19, originally I thought I was only getting my right knee done but x-rays proved that both needed it.
I’m 52 and in better than average shape, had both acl’s done years ago and both were blown again at the time of surgery.
Doc said I shouldn’t ever run again but I asked him before surgery if I’d be in The mountains in September and he said shouldn’t be a problem. I was very strict with my therapy doing more than prescribed and I believe that’s what’s giving me a better than average results, i’ve been exercising more and more each week concentrating on core and leg strength, been back to work for over a month and I am in much less pain than pre-surgery. I’ve been back to doing martial arts for weeks.

It is a major ordeal and infection risk is legit. Therapy is crucial for good results.
Pm me for some inspiration if you want

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Both of my hunting partners had both of their knees replaced and they said that they wished they had done it sooner. They have no limitations now and zero pain.

Mosby

WKR
Like a lot of things, some surgeons are better than others and the brand/type of replacement they use matters. Do a lot of research, ask questions, exhaust all other options and get it done by the best surgeon you can find and not necessarily the local ortho(depending on where you live). Don't worry about hurting anyones feelings, particularly Dr's. Have it done only if the pain is daily and constant vs occasional and you exhausted all alternative treatments beyond injections. If you are not sure, delay the surgery and get a third opinion from a large surgical group unrelated to your Dr's. It is a lifetime decision. Whatever you and your Doctor's decide will likely result in adapting how you hunt and accepting some limitations and thats ok.

I had my left knee done in 2008 and the right knee in 2013. I had ceramic implants and they are both doing very well. Ceramic will last 3+ times longer than chromium cobalt implants. You really have to work on the rehab, I spent a lot of time on a stationary bike and for both knees it took 10 days before I could do a complete circle on the bike. Range of motion is a big deal and you need to work for that. Also walk a lot, 9 weeks after my right knee was replaced I hiked up telegraph pass, 1200 feet elevation change over one mile. The down hill was hardest! Really glad that I had mine done, also I’m 67 years old and still hunt elk, deer, javelina, and pronghorn whenever I can draw a tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I just had my knee rebuilt. Not replaced. I expect to be healthy by fall due to rehab. Three of my close friends have had knee replacements. One, had it done last May (2018) and He hunted elk in Colorado in October 2018. It was so successful he is having his other knee replaced in two weeks. He’s in his 60s. Expects he will hunt elk in November this year. Other two who had knee replacement are thrilled they did it and wished they had done it earlier.

My knee was damaged in late January and I had surgery in early February; ACL graft, 7 medial miniscus tears were sewn, lateral miniscus was shredded and a portion was shaved, patella, tibula and fibula were reset as each was dislocated. The bone bruises and sprained MCL were left to heal on their own. I should be jogging in 2 weeks. Already back on the bike and stair master. Also doing kettlebell squats too. All during rehab sessions. So surgery can help. Depends on what is being repaired and your own physiology.

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
Thanks for all of the information and advice! Its appreciated!!

I almost cut my leg off when I was 11. Experimental surgery went well. At 16 I was told I had the knees of an 80 year old. Arthritis has been a huge part of my life. I used to hunt in knee braces and eat about 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day. The only thing that ever helped me is Protandim. Natural anti inflammatory and I take it every day. That said you might want to look into the keto diet too. It’s very good with anti inflammatory properties. It’s not for everyone but both are worth looking into. Good luck to you.

I had my left one done in late Dec 2017 at 62 yrs old. I am still not pain free. I lost some range of motion. I only had 115* before surgery due to a bad motorcycle wreck at 19 yrs old, and 105* is the best I can do now. It hurts when I hang my foot on a vine or stumble and it bends really quick. Mine still swells up if I am on my feet a lot during the day. The more it swells the harder it is to get max range of motion. It also hurts when I near the max bend I can stand. I can still go although slower and more careful. In all fairness to the doctor, he didn't start with a good "canvass" to paint his picture. I had already had 2 previous knee surgeries before this one.

Last edited:

Fullfan

WKR
No worries. Sever vehicle accident tried to kill me in June of 17. Six weeks in the hospital and 8 months confined to a bed and wheel chair. Right leg destroyed including my right knee. Had a TKR done on April 30 2018. 14 days later I killed a spring gobbler, had to use a cane tho. Sept 2018 I was in Idaho chasing bulls.

Will not lie the first 2 weeks sucked.... Physical therapy sucked. But I can walk and get around. My right knee will only bend 90deg. That is all the flexibility I have due to the damage from the accident. It is all up to you and your willpower/determination..