Knee surgery recovery

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Well guys last July I found the Gritty Bowmen podcast and decided it was time for a change. I committed to go on my first elk hunt this September and that meant getting in shape. I was 35 and had gotten a little soft. I considered myself active but hadn't worked out or done cardio since my high school baseball days.

I started with running then added weight lifting then bought a good pair of boots and a kifaru pack and started doing a good amount of backpack cardio. All that along with eating cleaner and I have lost a 30 pounds and feel great.

Well last Saturday I rolled my knee turkey hunting and re-tore my meniscus that was repaired 5 years ago after a pretty bad bucket handle tear. The flap lodged in my joint and locked it. The good news is if you lock your joint it's an emergency and I had surgery today less than a week after the injury. This time it was just a scope to remove the damaged meniscus.

Needless to say this is pretty depressing and I feel like I am going back to zero on my cardio and leg strength. My surgeon has laid out a path to get me prepared for the trip if I trust her PT and I have committed to doing so. What have you guys seen with meniscus scope recoveries?

Lastly, so far mtn ops Yeti is the only supplement I have taken. The challenge of a shorter window to get back shape has me a little nervous. Are there any other supplements that you guys would recommend to help me come back faster? I am also looking at new forms of cardio like biking and swimming both of which I've never done outside of basic recreation. Any suggestions there?

I'm not looking for sympathy just trying to figure out how to deal with my new reality. Thanks guys.

jmez

WKR
I'm sure it all depends on how bad it was. My brother tore his playing football in college and was back in practice within 2 weeks.

twall13

WKR
Meniscus recovery isn't as bad as an ACL but it's still not fun. It sounds to me like you are on the right track. Add in some biking for cardio, I'd just do it on a stationary bike at first. Hit the physical therapy hard and I think you will be okay. That said, get and use some good trekking poles on your hunt if you don't already have them. Take plenty of Ibeprufen and a wrap or light knee brace this year might not be a bad idea.

Lastly, remember when you are hunting that it is not a race and you are coming off an injury. Take it slow and know your limits. If you get an elk down opt for additional trips at a lighter weight on the pack out. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plenty of time for recovery before season. Take it slow so you have no setbacks. Having had several trim jobs and two acl replacements on same knee just be careful you only get one set of knees and meniscus. Strengthen supporting muscles and once in shape try to stay n shape. Lighter is better on bad knees over time and staying active. Good luck on recovery and upcoming season👍

530Chukar

WKR
Haven't had the injury but people that I work with have and its roughly about a 3 month recovery to 90%if I remember right. Get on a Concept 2 Rower and you can still work on your cardio with on leg. Just rest the other leg on the ground on a towel so I can slide back and forth once you get to that point.

I just had the same surgery on Wednesday and have a great elk tag for Wyoming this fall. This is my second scope on the same knee and will turn 40 this year! My plan is to follow the instructions from my physical therapist and work on strengthening my knee for future hunts. The last thing I want is a premature knee replacement. My biggest fear is not being able to hunt to my full capabilities especially when my son gets a little bit older. I am going to concentrate on a stationary bike and elliptical until I can hit the hills behind my house. The key is not to injure it again before season begins!

I am also interested in what supplements people suggest. This is something that I don't have a lot of experience in.

Good luck!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fish oil and glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate all supposed to be good for healthy joints so I have been taking for 20yrs. Can't say they work but I believe they assist so I run with it. I believe the biggest thing is staying active and not carrying extra weight that through the decades adds up.

cmc

FNG
I've had two knee surgeries, on the same knee, about a year apart to repair cartilage. First one felt so good I thought I was invincible and did some stupid stuff that tore it again. During each recovery I found keeping full range of motion key to getting back in the game. As it taking it easy and slowly working back as the doctor prescribes. Seriously do not rush it otherwise you'll be chasing a full recovery a lot longer. I too take Fish oil, glucosamine & chondroitin. Some folks say it's not worth it due to lack of studies but truthfully I'd hate to learn 20yrs from now I should have been taking them all along. I don't see them as an immediate feel good kind of medicine but hopefully I can get a few more years out of my factory knees before I get some refubs installed.

Again I cannot stress the importance to quality rehab. I was blessed that my brother was a professional in the business. Putting in the work (it's painful at times) will have big dividends for ya come next hunting season.