Knees over toes program

Sioux33

FNG
Knees over toe program...anyone have any experience with it? I heard someone mention it on a podcast and it got my curiosity going. After checking out the site: https://www.atgonlinecoaching.com/ , it looks like it'd be perfect to prep for mounting hunting. Seems like no matter how good of shape I'm in come fall, my knees always start to get a little achy from the steep downhills. This is supposed to "bulletproof" your knees and their testimonials sound pretty legit, so was just curious if anyone on here's given it a shot?

Seeknelk

WKR
I've just done some , I don't have much for knee pain but it's legit stuff. Start slow and tailor it to your abilities but yeah it's a very good idea.

Because of this thread I just ordered the intro book. Looks like he has a second book with more in depth exercises. I’m 45 and in great condition. However, my knees freaking hurt going downhill more than ever. After a few recent injuries in the gym I’ve changed my mindset from trying to improve my performance over to trying to maintain my current level and more importantly trying to avoid any injuries.

Ill try to remember to post an update after this hunting season and give my thoughts. Feel free to pm me if I forget to update cause I probably will.

I've been "babying" patellar tendonitis since Sept/Oct. I just turned 36. In November, My doc said quit heavy squats, sprinting, and jumping. I hate this advice. I plan to bring all three back slowly over the next few months.

I decided to give KneesOverToes a try and bought a subscription during the holidays. I cancelled a few days ago after getting a handle over most of the exercises and concepts. I do think the fundamentals of the program are something all of us mountain hunters should learn to implement. However, I was underwhelmed by the totality of the programming. I'm not sure the cardiovascular support is there for his program to be a one-stop shop. Maybe my understanding of the program is flawed. I did ask him about implementing cardio into his "Zero" program but he didn't really recommend it. After I told him that's not going to work for me, as I need to maintain a high level of aerobic capacity, he said do more sleds.

For sure I'll be adding his version of split squats, toes raises, and calf raises to my tool bucket though.
Curiously, I started listening to Beyond the Kill podcast again and noticed they are starting to push some of these exercises as well.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been incorporating some of the ATG system into most of my days and really enjoy the results.

For the skeptics, this is really just about going back and introducing healthy ROM before applying weight/additional stress - particularly to parts of the body that traditional training neglects.

There are some great GPP-type splits that incorporate this stuff really well. If you like that sort of programming anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spence14

WKR
I just started the ATG Zero Program. I had acl replacement 3 years ago and still struggle with flexibility and pain on that knee. I feel like even after a couple sessions I have gained some mobility. Some of the workouts are pretty closely related to the post-op physical therapy and some are new to me. It’s definitely not a stand alone program to use to get ready for the mountain, but rather a supplement to gain protection in the knees, ankles and more. I believe he said on Rogan that many people do the atg workout as a warmup and then go into there sports specific programming.

Which book? Knee Ability Zero or ATG for Life? Is one better than the other or buy both.

Which book? Knee Ability Zero or ATG for Life? Is one better than the other or buy both.
I just got the knee ability zero book. It looks like it’s good for injury recovery. It gives different exercises with descriptions and picture. The book seems like it would be great to build a rehab foundation for the muscles around knee and lower leg. The exercises just use body weight and only a couple things require equipment, like the sled or treadmill.

I hurt my knee last year on the leg press and even before that both knees hurt like hell on downhill hikes. I’m going to use the book to incorporate a focus on knee strengthening into my workouts. If notice a reduction in knee pain then I’m gonna buy his second book.

Disclaimer: I haven’t started using the book. Just got it yesterday and skimmed through it. But it appears well done.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I think there's alot of his ideas and exercises out there on YouTube and Instagram that I'm not sure his program is necessary unless you need to refer back to it in the gym.

Honestly just the piece about sled pushes and reverse drags is going to be beneficial to almost everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I have been pulling and pushing the sled the past 2 weeks since listening to him on a podcast. Very good work out for your legs.

I started mixing in ATG a few days ago.

I’ve always had knee problems so we will see if this helps. Legs definitely feel stronger since starting tho

I signed up for his program for one month and then cancelled my membership, but kept doing the exercises. I gave myself severe patellar tendonitis in my left knee by doing walking lunges - to the point I could hardly make it up a flight of stairs. His program saved my knee and I'm now doing nearly 1/4 mile of walking lunges everyday with little to no pain.

For the $15 deal I bought it at, you'd be silly not to try it, imo.

I also wanted to implement it in my training and programming. I've known about it for awhile, but since I don't have knee issues I blew it off. Well, no one has knee issues until they do so an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Downslope under load increases injury risk significantly.

My 12 year old have started every workout this week workout with the deadmills, tib raises, and then ATG's, not convinced we are doing the ATG's correct but will continue to watch videos and correct as we go. The tib raises are brutal, I am nearly at failure after my second set of 25. We do deadmills because we go to a gym that really doesn't have an option for sled pulls, thinking about maybe using one of the cable machines with a harness, not sure yet.

dietridg

FNG
Its worth trying, it helped me. The theory on going down hill is that those are the same muscles that are used on deceleration be it stopping or turning/planting. Those muscles are usually under developed. Just doing the backwards training will help that. I tried standard physical therapy and spent a lot of money for bad advice. I paid for this program for several months and got a lot out of it.

I cancelled the program because i did not use the coaching portion of it so once i knew the exercises I stopped paying. If you want to try it I think you can put the zero program together off youtube for free. He is not a typical personal trainer so cardio is on you, he will not tailor something for you. The program itself is all about strengthening the entire body through full range of motion.

NayNay

FNG
I started squatting heavy every day after a knee injury in college. It was the strongest most stable my knees have ever felt. Huge benefits to lower back, core, and ankle mobility as well. Equally important in mountain hunting.

ledflight

WKR
I had a knee issue flare up when tracking my first ever deer kill on steep hills. Never debilitating but often quite painful.
I have been doing KOT - it seemed to help, though I can't say it cured it yet.
The reverse sled training is probably the best. It feels great in a productive way, more than most exercises do.
I was a paid subscriber for a while but honestly he gives away a ton of info for free.