Knife making

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is a lot of fun. I love making my own stuff. I end up buying the best eventually. Traded into a knife from a dude that was on that Forged in Steel show.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar position a couple of years back. I started with a bench grinder with a modification that allowed it to take a 2x48" belt. I made several knifes off this, but just recently bought a professionally made 2x48 belt grinder. It has the advantages of more power, variable speed, and the mount has the ability to tip it on its side which adds functionality.

When it comes to steel, I prefer stainless to carbon steals. But carbon steels are generally recommended to beginners as they are more tolerant of home heat treat. I did some research and found there is a guy local to me that professionally heat treats knifes from all around Australia. Once I outsourced my HT to him, it opened up a lot more options in steel I could choose.

Most of my knifes have been made from Sandvic 12C27 which has worked really well for me. Its pretty readily available, economic to buy, is pretty easy to grind, holds a great edge and I dont find it hard to put an edge on it.

The three knifes in the below photos are all made from 12C27. These are the first 3 knifes I made and were all made with my crappy old starter grinder set up (orange handled one was first, walnut handled second and green handled third):

IMG20200920153818.jpg

I tried putting an edge on this one differently to the first two, Totally buggered it up, so went back to how I have always done it. I still need to clean up the marks in the blade, but it cuts great, so haven't gotten around to cleaning that off yet.
IMG20201004153418.jpg

I did some kydex work to make some sheaths that will let me carry them in my day pack, also happy with the results of that:

IMG20201011101752.jpg

I gave my first knife to a friend who has butchered a few Sambar deer with it. These deer are bigger than a mule, but smaller than elk. He has been able to breakdown several without resharpening the knife, so pretty stoked with the performance so far.
20210731-125144-jpg-fc413cc7934650bb0bf81a6a6f5057fd.jpg

Smiley882

FNG
I’ve made several knives from old saw blades, files and rasps. I think my favorite thing to use was farrier rasps. If I remember right they are 1085 steel. A lot of the times just ask a farrier and they will give you there used ones. They are wider than most files and you can get a decent size blade from one. I would recommend getting this book. He covers it all pretty good. I made my first knife just from the info in this book. Couple pics of farrier rasps knives I made back in the day. 4A681FC5-A595-4303-805F-0BFDAC880FB3.jpg92D29B76-D754-4C53-8042-7F61ADA72BB9.jpg4ECD05E5-4EC8-41AF-B4E5-8D9E8BD4F64D.jpg20C113A0-50C5-48F6-A02E-85684638348B.jpg83E29E24-D2CB-4DC0-8DB8-2A3BF31DCC70.jpgFE618B2E-96D6-4F12-AADE-7F7B156CF845.jpg

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would post a project that I am just in the process of finishing. This knife has a few firsts for me - steel is S35VN, black micarta handles with red G10 liners and red G10 pins. First time working with most of these materials, first time making this blade shape, and I sharpened it on the belt grinder instead of water stones or using the Worksharp. Edge is not quite as good as I can get it with the other methods, but its about 80%-90% of the way there. As usual, I learned a lot, made some new mistakes, plus I made a couple of cockups I already know about.

IMG-9039.jpg

IMG-9038.jpg

IMG-9041.jpg

IMG-9040.jpg

Having been an assistant for a knife maker when I was a teenager, I would get started with pre-made blades. We used Italian steel at varying grades depending on the use of the knife. This will get you started in the process and have a few great knives to grow from. It can be overwhelming to try and learn forging, shaping, sharpening, leatherwork and handle working all at the same time.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a cheap 1x30” belt sander from harbor freight and been making knives with my 3 boys… It’s been great father son’s project:) We have been using old files… They hold a heck of an edge
B9A25317-AD00-4734-A01C-408B3EF8A3CC.jpeg

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm slowly improving my grinds, so starting to try shapes that were too difficult for me earlier. Tried a couple of sizes in a "Nesmuk" style blade. I am still trying to decide if I am going to leave the handle as it is, or keep shaping them a little more. But they are mostly done now.

Orange handled blade is NitroV steel, orange G10 handles with green g10 liners and pins. The liner is only .5mm, so desnt show up too well. It was one of the first liners I bought, and I am trying to use it up on this trial knife. For some reason, I had more trouble grinding even bevels on this smaller blade than I did on the bigger version.

The other is Elmax steel, with camo G10 handles and flat earth coloured G10 pins. Didnt seem like any point using a liner on this since the camo pattern is a laminate of G10.

IMG-9713.jpg

IMG-9714.jpg

IMG-9715.jpg

IMG-9716.jpg

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Another new style I wanted to try - a "modern seax" this time. Steel is Elmax with a saber grind. Handle is gidgee with a hand rubbed finish. Liner is green G10, with stainless pins and lanyard tube.

Happy and sad with this one. I have been playing around with belt finishes on my last few knifes, but now regret that I didnt hand sand this blade as I feel like it would look a lot better. I used the new 72" grinder with the big wheel to shape the handle, and I reckon its by far the best handle I have done. So a real positive there.

IMG-9873.jpg

IMG-9877.jpg

IMG-9879.jpg

IMG-9880.jpg

feanor

WKR
Handle contours look really nice! Is that Australian gidgee? There’s some stuff I’d love to play with from Australia that’s similar to ironwood.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Handle contours look really nice! Is that Australian gidgee? There’s some stuff I’d love to play with from Australia that’s similar to ironwood.
Thanks mate. Yes, Australian gidgee. Its my favorite wood for handles. This one didnt have too much figure, so I was happy how it came up.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider

This file jig actually works to create a pretty well made knife. I have a 2x72 grinder that obviously works faster but I can't say it works better. I'll use this file jig from time to time to just go slow and appreciate the process. There will be plenty of hand sanding after you get the bevels established. Those harbor freight grinders work great at shaping the handle material, but generally create some sloppy lines on the blade itself. If you are just interested in making some for yourself or possibly a couple friends or family, the jig set up works pretty well.

49ereric

WKR
I have cut blanks from old crosscut saws (1070 carbon steel?) found in the woods some rust pitting naturally. Used a dremel tool to cut and keep water on the cut constantly. I have an old circular saw blade as well but never get around to cutting blanks.
I did finish an edge on a couple.
now if I would just put a handle on them.

Well, pretty much finished now. Another couple of firsts. Made a pair of knifes as a set for the first time. And made a "zipper" style gutting knife. Will be giving them to a friend who shoots a lot of deer to try out.

IMG-9114.jpg

IMG-9113.jpg
Thought I would post a project that I am just in the process of finishing. This knife has a few firsts for me - steel is S35VN, black micarta handles with red G10 liners and red G10 pins. First time working with most of these materials, first time making this blade shape, and I sharpened it on the belt grinder instead of water stones or using the Worksharp. Edge is not quite as good as I can get it with the other methods, but its about 80%-90% of the way there. As usual, I learned a lot, made some new mistakes, plus I made a couple of cockups I already know about.

IMG-9039.jpg

IMG-9038.jpg

IMG-9041.jpg

IMG-9040.jpg
Please don't take this as a backhanded compliment...

I wasn't sure how I felt about the red pins until the last picture. The bottom middle pair being so visible is awesome and the way they pop really makes me like the knife.

kennygss

FNG
I'm slowly improving my grinds, so starting to try shapes that were too difficult for me earlier. Tried a couple of sizes in a "Nesmuk" style blade. I am still trying to decide if I am going to leave the handle as it is, or keep shaping them a little more. But they are mostly done now.

Orange handled blade is NitroV steel, orange G10 handles with green g10 liners and pins. The liner is only .5mm, so desnt show up too well. It was one of the first liners I bought, and I am trying to use it up on this trial knife. For some reason, I had more trouble grinding even bevels on this smaller blade than I did on the bigger version.

The other is Elmax steel, with camo G10 handles and flat earth coloured G10 pins. Didnt seem like any point using a liner on this since the camo pattern is a laminate of G10.

IMG-9713.jpg

IMG-9714.jpg

IMG-9715.jpg

IMG-9716.jpg
These are really great shapes, kind of a nesmuk/dozier shape, and the nitroV is a great steel for an outdoor knife. Man, some talented folks at rokslide.