Knife recommendations for field dressing

I'm a new hunter that happened to loose his old, hand me down knife late last deer season. I'd prefer to spend less than $75 on and it will primarily be used for whitetail if that helps narrow down the options. I've heard that havalon and gerber make some great knives, but my heart isn't set on any brand.

A 3-4" long blade is all then length you need. It's just perfect, not too short, not too long. For the price hard to beat a Buck 110 folding hunter. Great knife that will hold an edge, and it's made in the USA. Both blade styles work great but you might prefer one over the other.

The Vanguard is also a nice knife. Great blade shape and size. Handle is very comfortable.

Mosby

WKR
Under $75 I would look at Case knives. I personally prefer them over Buck or Gerber. I seem to be able to get them sharper.

Knives of Alaska also makes some nice knives. The Alpha Wolf can be had on Amazon for under $75, made of D2 steel and a leather sheath. That would probably be my choice.

A 3-4" long blade is all then length you need. It's just perfect, not too short, not too long. For the price hard to beat a Buck 110 folding hunter. Great knife that will hold an edge, and it's made in the USA. Both blade styles work great but you might prefer one over the other.

The Vanguard is also a nice knife. Great blade shape and size. Handle is very comfortable.

I have a Vanguard, but it's the rosewood and brass handle version. It's a spectacular knife. I'm giving one to my nephew as a wedding present.

Buck discontinued the rosewood version and is using that fake (but probably tougher) dymalux faux walnut on the current version. They cost $10 more than the real rosewood models.

You still find the rosewood version in stock at many vendors. I'm going to buy 3-4 to use as future gifts for special occasions.

Last edited:
OP
M
Under $75 I would look at Case knives. I personally prefer them over Buck or Gerber. I seem to be able to get them sharper.

Knives of Alaska also makes some nice knives. The Alpha Wolf can be had on Amazon for under $75, made of D2 steel and a leather sheath. That would probably be my choice.
now I haven't heard of knives of alaska, but looking at the reviews it seems like everyone who has one swears by it

Mosby

WKR
now I haven't heard of knives of alaska, but looking at the reviews it seems like everyone who has one swears by it
I have one of their boning knives. They make a quality product. You can also get them from Blackovis.com, who is a forum sponsor and maybe get the forum discount, if they are still offering it.

Stalker69

WKR
Really it’s up to what you want, any thing that’s sharp will work. I have lost or forgotten my knife on occasion and used a broad head. But i am perfectly fine with a pocket knife, smaller fixed blade, or pretty much any of the havalon series.( prefer the barracuda) I really want a knife made by “ chops custom knives” but they are spendy and I just know I would lose it. I do like my kershaw knives, junk yard dog and my edc “auto “have both taken care numerous animals.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Best blades for the money in my opinion are Morakniv Comanion or Marttiini Condors.
No frills, lightweight, high carbon, Scandi sharp as all get out. Keep in your kill kit-not a fancy “look at my gear queer goodies” knife, just a solid performer in the field.
For ~$20 each they absolutely rock.

Last edited:
Honestly most any knife will field dress a whitetail so I suggest you find an online knife shop(I’d provide links but I’m unsure what the rules are here governing that) and pick whatever 3”-4” knife strikes your fancy. A google search will turn up plenty of vendors.

A word of warning tho, buying knives can become addicting. You’ll find a dozen that fit your use, buy 1 and the rest will hang in the back of your head until you decide you can’t live without the next...and the next!!!

JohnnyB

WKR
I keep using the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. It is a little less expensive than Havalon and has a little sturdier blade (IMO). I have field dressed and skinned both deer and bear and have been very pleased. I also have a Benchmade Altitude, but still carry the Outdoor Edge in my kill kit.

Good luck, there are many great choices available today.

87TT

WKR
I keep using the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. It is a little less expensive than Havalon and has a little sturdier blade (IMO). I have field dressed and skinned both deer and bear and have been very pleased. I also have a Benchmade Altitude, but still carry the Outdoor Edge in my kill kit.

Good luck, there are many great choices available today.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The only knife that I have chosen over the knife my Grandfather made and he died over 80 years ago. Although I still carry it any time I'm hunting. I have dressed out an elk and two deer without changing or sharpening a blade. Scary sharp so be careful.

OP
M
Thank you guys for all the options, I think I'll go with a case knife. Happy hunting!