Knife recommendations

mod7rem

FNG
I’ve been using a Gerber Gatormate folding knife for close to 20 years. The majority of the animals I’ve dealt with are skinned and deboned on the spot and packed out. I use a scalpel for caping work.
I’m not a knife guy so it’s all I’ve ever used, but getting tired of having to sharpen the Gerber constantly. I’d like to get a high quality blade that will hold an edge better. I’m considering switching to a small fixed blade and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
I’d like to try a fixed blade and willing to spend up to a few hundred bucks if it makes a big difference in steel quality.
Ive been reading some reviews on the Grohman D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife and am interested.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
S90V and M390 are both nice steels with good edge retention. I like Benchmade, but other companies make nice knives in those steels too.

I have the Hidden Canyon Hunter and an Altitude. Gave the Hidden Canyon Hunter to my wife and kept the Altitude.

The Saddle Mountain Skinner looks nice.

All three of those can be had in S90V.

ChasenH1-8s

Lil-Rokslider
I’d consider putting the Havalon’s on your radar. It would be way different than want you are used to but man they are flat impressive.
Just don’t cut your finger off.

+1 for havalon. I use mine for almost all gutting and quartering.

I also carry a winkler hunter. $$$ but it has some style and looking cool counts.

i think ESEE are great deals in outdoor knives. I like their esee 4 when not carrying my winkler.

ChasenH1-8s

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. I carry a small serrated Gerber (always) for ribs and joints. But from there the Havalon does the work.

I’d like to try a fixed blade and willing to spend up to a few hundred bucks if it makes a big difference in steel quality.
Ive been reading some reviews on the Grohman D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife and am interested.

I'm a big fan of the Grohmanns. I used a J.A. Henckels for 40 years, which I really liked, but was always on the lookout for, what to me, would be the perfect field knife. I have a safe full of Bark Rivers, Berettas, Pumas...all very good knives, just not, "the one". I think I found it in the Grohmann #1 that I've been using the last 4-5 years. I have fairly large hands, and my first impression was that it would be too small. I was wrong. It is light and nimble, and can be held in a large variety of comfortable positions while field dressing and processing. I can get a very good edge on it at 22* that will stay sharp enough to process two deer. Then, a couple of light licks on a fine diamond stone and a little stropping, and it's ready to shave again. I have 2 #1s, a #3(also very nice), and a #4 for camp/food prep. All have stag handles for a very sure grip that also looks quite nice.

I bought the second #1 as part of my guides tip for my upcoming muley hunt, along with cash, because he was so impressed with mine last year when he forgot his knife back at camp. He kept going on and on about it...much as I am now. :LOL: Sorry...

For great prices, (listed in Canadian), and a huge selection of options, check out the link below.

www.adventuregear.ca/grohmann-knives

Last edited:
OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually have a Havalon that a friend gave me, but it’s still in the box and I haven’t tried it yet. For some reason I’m not warming up to the idea of having more changeable scalpel like blades to deal with.
But maybe I should be rethinking that.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
I'm a big fan of the Grohmanns. I used a J.A. Henckels for 40 years, which I really liked, but was always on the lookout for, what to me, would be the perfect field knife. I have a safe full of Bark Rivers, Berettas, Pumas...all very good knives, just not, "the one". I think I found it in the Grohmann #1 that I've been using the last 4-5 years. I have fairly large hands, and my first impression was that it would be too small. I was wrong. It is light and nimble, and can be held in a large variety of comfortable positions while field dressing and processing. I can get a very good edge on it at 22* that will stay sharp enough to process two deer. Then, a couple of light licks on a fine diamond stone and a little stropping, and it's ready to shave again. I have 2 #1s, a #3(also very nice), and a #4 for camp/food prep. All have stag handles for a very sure grip that also looks quite nice.

I bought the second #1 as part of my guides tip for my upcoming muley hunt, along with cash, because he was so impressed with mine last year when he forgot his knife back at camp. He kept going on and on about it...much as I am now. :LOL: Sorry...

For great prices, (listed in Canadian), and a huge selection of options, check out the link below.

They definitely get great reviews. My concern is the opposite of yours. My hands are small and I’m used to using a smaller knife so I’m concerned that the #1 will feel like a machete in my hand lol.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG

If you were going with just one knife for gutting, skinning and deboning, would you prefer the #1 or #3?

JakeSCH

WKR
Reach out to Evan at Siembida Custom Knives. He will design the knife around how you will use it. Basically start from the ground up and help you choose the materials that best suite what you want. My guess is that you won't get it until after hunting season at this point though.

wildcat33

WKR
LT Wright Canadian Hunter and Dozier Yukon Skinner are two on my list to check out. Bark River has a zillion choices, but I personally dont care for a convex grind. Falkniven is a good one, but blade stock is too thick for my liking but may suit you (also convex grind I believe). AG Russell has some nice house brand stuff like the Personal Hunter.

Decker9

WKR
I went full custom, after not being able to feel love for the plastic havalon.

The steel used, is a S35VN, I dont know much about steel, but I am 2 moose, a bear, a wolf, and 2 years of general camp use, and have never had to touch the blad. Whatever that steel number means, I highly recommend it.

The havalon’s do have a place, but I learnt the hard way about, slipping (biggest scar to date) I find I have better control on a full hard knife.

B2683921-3C71-4D4F-8B89-87AFF91FCBD0.jpeg

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
LT Wright Canadian Hunter and Dozier Yukon Skinner are two on my list to check out. Bark River has a zillion choices, but I personally dont care for a convex grind. Falkniven is a good one, but blade stock is too thick for my liking but may suit you (also convex grind I believe). AG Russell has some nice house brand stuff like the Personal Hunter.

Thanks. The Small Northern Hunter looks like a good compromise in size.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
I went full custom, after not being able to feel love for the plastic havalon.

The steel used, is a S35VN, I dont know much about steel, but I am 2 moose, a bear, a wolf, and 2 years of general camp use, and have never had to touch the blad. Whatever that steel number means, I highly recommend it.

The havalon’s do have a place, but I learnt the hard way about, slipping (biggest scar to date) I find I have better control on a full hard knife.

View attachment 217697

Beautiful knives.

They definitely get great reviews. My concern is the opposite of yours. My hands are small and I’m used to using a smaller knife so I’m concerned that the #1 will feel like a machete in my hand lol.

If you were going with just one knife for gutting, skinning and deboning, would you prefer the #1 or #3?

#1. Actually, for just a bit more than your stated budget, you could have both.

It won't feel too big.