Knife recommendations

boom

WKR
Mora carbon steel Companion. The knife punches way above its weight class.
this year it will be the Benchmade Puukko.

Landon4

Lil-Rokslider
S90V and M390 are both nice steels with good edge retention. I like Benchmade, but other companies make nice knives in those steels too.

I have the Hidden Canyon Hunter and an Altitude. Gave the Hidden Canyon Hunter to my wife and kept the Altitude.

The Saddle Mountain Skinner looks nice.

All three of those can be had in S90V.
I used the hidden canyon hunter on the last buck I shot last year there great little knives, very sharp from factory as I still haven’t touched it’s edge up.

Beendare

WKR
My Take; I've got a bunch of different hunting knives in the super steels...all good.

I would go super steel and my top 4 preference in order; S90v, Elmax, CPM 3v, S30v....all great to excellent steels.

I have a Bark River in Elmax that holds an amazing edge but its 4x the weight of my Benchmade Altitude in S90V. Those Heavy Bark River type knives are very good...but more of an all around camp knife for me and not a backcountry processor.

The Benchmade Altitude is a skeletonize knife, under 3 oz I think....which I like as it holds an edge crazy good, 2,3,4 animals no problem- its light and takes up no room in my pack and cleans up super easy.

Some guys like an actual handle and for those I like the silicone rubber handles best over wood or micarta, other.

That Benchmade Steep Country in S30V is a great knife that will do 2 elk without touchup. Its small and light but not too small...and S30v is great steel....though not the incredible edge holding of S90v or Elmax.

Lots of good choices.

sndmn11

WKR
Since you like this style, I think the steel is fair. Black Ovis carries them and you can find a Rokslide discount.

This is as tech advanced as you will likely find in a compete package.

I prefer non-stainless over the above S90v. Spyderco has a series they call the Mule with some interesting steels, I have some in PD1 that is identical to cru-ware and could make a custom handle to your liking. They have them in stock and you can do your own handle as well.

If you wanted to stick to factory, Bark River makes some cru-ware blades that are probably a perfect balance for most people's wants and needs I'm cutting up game.

Here's the whole search results for cru-ware

Lawnboi

WKR
LT Wright small northern hunter, best bang for your buck on a knife with some good steel.

I choose the above over many other custom, semi custom and production knives. They are designed to slice well, not overly thick likemany other semi custom options out there. The steel is easy enough to get sharp, and stays that way a while unlike some of the newer stainless knives out there that can be a pain to get sharp again.

You don’t need a 1/4” 10” bushcraft knife for cutting up game. Look for something thin, with a nice sweep, in a steel that you can sharpen yourself when it gets dull.

Iv passed a lot of bark rivers through my hands and while some work well, and some Iv kept. Overall their knives are just too thick to be practical for what most guys are doing.

Custom route is going to cost some cash, and may not be the best place to start till you know what you want.

I’d also invest in learning how to keep a blade very sharp, not just kind of sharp. Even the super steels get dull. Steel like elmax or s90v are a pain in the ass to get back to shaving sharp where as steels like AEBL and 3V IME are much easier to get back to where I want them. The above steels are also stainless/damn near stainless, which I like in a hunting knife that might spend a day or 2 in a bloody sheath.

If you have any specific questions about bark river, LT or Esee don’t hesitate to ask, Iv had most of their knife styles in my hands at one point.

Last edited:

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I use a havalon knife for most of the work I do on animals. I bring a benchmark fixed blade for a hard blade as back up. I’ve been making the switch to an outdoors edge replaceable blade knife also. I like it because the blade stays sharper longer and easier to replace. I like the havalon for the size and light weight but the blades are hard to replace. They do make a tool to help remove them. But those are the three I’ve used and like.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Dawson or Dozier for holding an edge while in the field.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Thanks again everyone. The choices are endless. I’ve never been a knife enthusiast, which explains why I’ve been deboning animals for the last 20 years with the same knife, but I may have to become one and start accumulating some knives.

For now I’ve decided to order the LT Wright Small Northern Hunter and start with that.
I could also see a Benchmade Altitude in my collection before long.

I have a Havalon I got as a gift and haven’t used yet. But I have to admit I have a mental block with these just from things I’ve seen in the field. I live in B.C. but have been to Wyoming many times to hunt antelope. I’ve come across enough gut piles in Wyoming with Havalon blades laying all over that it just turned me off the whole idea. I like my scalpel for caping and taxidermy work but for everything else I want a knife.
It’s just my own head trip, not a reflection on the Havalon knife capabilities.

Last edited:
Oh so many knives. Here's a couple more to consider. I have both and really like both of these knives. They are made in Bonner Montana which is near to where I live. Great folks making them by hand one at at time!

Ruana Steelhead 3.5" blade.

Ruana 5AD 4" blade

I used my Benchmade mini-barrage on my grizzly bear hunt last fall. I knew the guide would have several knives. I bought him a Ruana 5AD and brought it up as a gift. He sure liked it a lot! I took the mini-barrage as it's a folding knife and small that I could carry clipped in my pocket everywhere. It has a 2.9" blade and really like that knife also.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Things are getting out of control now :p
I have the Small Northern Hunter on the way, then I found a Grohmann #2 stainless with resin handle, flat grind at a good price so now that’s on the way as well lol.
I’ll probably become a knife guy now.

fshaw

WKR
For what you were willing to spend there are quite a few custom makers that would build you a knife With a blade shape and handle profile that fits your needs and tastes. Dozier’s Yukon Pro Skinner is a great choice in D2. Gene Ingram and Charles May make some beautiful choices. Wait times can be fairly long depending on maker. It’s a slippery slope though.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Just seeing this thread now - sorry if I'm too late, just wanted to chime about Grohmann knives.

I placed an order for a few knives maybe a year ago and can attest to the quality of factory seconds. At least in my case, I could tell little difference between the firsts and the seconds. On the topic of factory seconds, they also have factory second sheaths, which I found to be completely indistinguishable from firsts, except for he small "S" stamped into the belt loop (#3 sheath). Also, you'll see on their website that you can order some, but not all, knives in factory second condition but I found out during a call with them that you can pretty much order any knife and/or sheath in factory second condition.

I haven't used their knives much but can comment on fit and finish, etc. I found fit and finish to be pretty good but not quite at the level you'll find from e.g. LT Wright. Even on the flat grind #1 in carbon steel, I found the interface between scales and tang to be sharp - you can kind of feel the sharp edge of the tang. Also, the tang doesn't seem to be polished or sanded smooth, it's just a touch rough.

This probably won't affect the usability of the knife. Ergonomics are exactly as everyone says - fantastic.

One last comment about ordering from Grohmann - prices on their website were charged in USD, not CAD, just keep that in mind when you order.

nagibson1

FNG
They definitely get great reviews. My concern is the opposite of yours. My hands are small and I’m used to using a smaller knife so I’m concerned that the #1 will feel like a machete in my hand lol.
thanks for mentioning they have seconds. what a great deal for guys that don't care about minor imperfections to get a great quality knife. Appreciate it!

Ruana knives located in Bonner Montana sure makes some quality knives. I personally own two and each of my two son's have Ruana knives. Below are my two favorites.

5AD

1614701903412.png

Steelhead

1614702480469.png

Shraggs

WKR
Very nice ruana’s!!!

found a pre 1960’s semi skinneraverage shape for $1000, had to pass for now.

just a comment on bark rivers. I do own every hunting knife they’ve ever made, and used them all cutting up game. Fair comments above but there are all not heavy. Dozens of my hunting models ranging from 2.5 to 4.5” that are less 4 oz...

Many have struggled sharpening convex and sour on it, I’m a huge fan of falkniven too which is the only other production knife maker committed to convex — they are thicker especially near the edge and more challenging to sharpen. They are universally heavier too.

my personal preference is convex before all else, and therefore accept thicker stock.

Shraggs

WKR
We need pics...

DC1E0708-898E-4ACF-9613-E019FE815FFE.jpeg

most carried combo backpack hunting 6 oz combined. Big skinner is 4.25”

26E01CA3-FF17-438F-BA71-CFD485C78368.jpeg

Persian style skinner 3.25” 3 oz

30521E44-9DB1-4961-8542-BA6FA70A80A3.jpeg

Another combo I use 5.5 oz combined

95421483-4DE8-4F20-BB4C-76D44EADB71A.jpeg

these knives are well known on rokslide, spyderco bill moran 3 oz each and that’s with a 1” hidden tang...

35E6F1CD-DEBD-43B6-AAEA-582874B13B5C.jpeg

more a whitetail combo for me 6.5 oz combined.

CB64269F-277C-4D98-BDD2-44FDE44CBE27.jpeg

one of most treasured sets, cape, gut, quarter, gutless, camp use, fish cleaning. Total weight 13 oz.

some if the popular bark rivers are heavy, they aren’t what I use fwiw 😊

EA63EF51-13B8-4228-BA79-6EE0B175E050.jpeg

Last couple of falknivens. Very little blood on the drop point, the other is new an unlikely candidate for a skinner as they market this as a neck utility knife. 4 and 3 oz respectively.

Last edited: