Knife recommendations

My Steelhead model is made with the usual elk antler handles which is what Rudy Ruana used typically. Love the knife.

My 5AD is a custom Ruana that the guys at work had made for me when I retired. I started the trend of giving a Ruana years ago to guys that retired. I know personally I would MUCH rather have a great hunting or every day carry knife than a plaque or something like that. Something that would be really special and useable. Not something that would likely end up sitting in a closet or storage shelf.

1614963085196.png

1614963122031.png

Instead of elk antler handles it has beautiful set of wood handles. You can see the amazing file work that was done by hand. It's both beautiful and functional. It was also engraved with my name and badge number.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
For EDC, skinning deer or elk, I have a ZT 0393GLCF Hinderer and/or Havalon Pirnanta.

Skinning hogs just wastes my Havalon blades, so I picked up a Husky Utility knife specifically for use on hogs.

RedTimber

FNG
I’ve been using a Gerber Gatormate folding knife for close to 20 years. The majority of the animals I’ve dealt with are skinned and deboned on the spot and packed out. I use a scalpel for caping work.
I’m not a knife guy so it’s all I’ve ever used, but getting tired of having to sharpen the Gerber constantly. I’d like to get a high quality blade that will hold an edge better. I’m considering switching to a small fixed blade and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Keep the Havalon as your scalpel and pick up a Dawson fixed blade. Quality steel with cerakote and good sheath.

I think for straight hunting applications, Rainier Knives is a fantastic value. Elmax steel and about $100.
I have been waiting for a knife from BGoode Knives. I have no in person thoughts but you all should take a look.
25C7E437-D75A-4556-9C07-EFB43C817475.jpeg
Just got my knife from BGoode. It’s very nice.

Last edited:

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned my share of customs and evaluate every tiny nuance on every piece of gear I own. When it comes to processing game the pinnacle IMO is this little semi skinner from Dan Crotts. The blade shape, size and angle relative to the handle is perfect for gutting, skinning and if needed deboning. I’ve never lost an edge in a season with his D2 and by not lose an edge I mean it’ll still shave effortlessly. The most I processed with it in a year between sharpening was a bear, three elk and six deer and it still pillowed hair off my arm.

You can pick it up in micarta for a shade over $200

877ebd4369db66a7bd3ba351dfcfd995.jpg

It was so perfect I had it built the way I wanted and it’s performance outperforms it’s beauty.

2b140d0d19680aafa72a244f37c75143.jpg

3a85750f2db65faaabb106cf3b07dd30.jpg

Now if you want something without the wait the next best would be a dozier Yukon pro skinner. It’s got the edge retention in spades but the blade shape isn’t quite as perfect as the little semi skinner IMO. It’s still very, very good and can be had in micarta for about $220.

6eece36e95883092209fcd0104a69925.jpg

2d7f5fe7f1e051e099e4441b0d829f9d.jpg

The only maker (I’ve owned) who I feel makes higher performing knives is Phil Wilson. I love his filleting knives but his hunting designs don’t have the blade shape I desire so I don’t own any.

Very late to the game but Dozier for a basic work horse hunting knife. Cant beat Bob in that category in my opinion.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Just to update this thread. I now own a LT Wright Small Northern Hunter, Benchmade Altitude, and a Grohman #1 belt knife.

The LT Wright Small Northern Hunter is beautiful, but for me it’s not as ergonomic and nimble as the Grohman #1.

I just used the #1 to get a Mule deer buck ready for packing and I was amazed at how versatile the knife felt. Like I’d been using it for years.

I used the Benchmade Altitude to fully debone a caribou bull for packing in sept and it also was a big surprise. Very secure and comfortable to use.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
I’ve owned my share of customs and evaluate every tiny nuance on every piece of gear I own. When it comes to processing game the pinnacle IMO is this little semi skinner from Dan Crotts. The blade shape, size and angle relative to the handle is perfect for gutting, skinning and if needed deboning. I’ve never lost an edge in a season with his D2 and by not lose an edge I mean it’ll still shave effortlessly. The most I processed with it in a year between sharpening was a bear, three elk and six deer and it still pillowed hair off my arm.

You can pick it up in micarta for a shade over $200

877ebd4369db66a7bd3ba351dfcfd995.jpg

It was so perfect I had it built the way I wanted and it’s performance outperforms it’s beauty.

2b140d0d19680aafa72a244f37c75143.jpg

3a85750f2db65faaabb106cf3b07dd30.jpg

Now if you want something without the wait the next best would be a dozier Yukon pro skinner. It’s got the edge retention in spades but the blade shape isn’t quite as perfect as the little semi skinner IMO. It’s still very, very good and can be had in micarta for about $220.

6eece36e95883092209fcd0104a69925.jpg

2d7f5fe7f1e051e099e4441b0d829f9d.jpg

The only maker (I’ve owned) who I feel makes higher performing knives is Phil Wilson. I love his filleting knives but his hunting designs don’t have the blade shape I desire so I don’t own any.
I’m not sure what knife is next for me, but you’ve definitely peaked my interest with this Semi Skinner by Dan Crotts.
I guess I’ve started my way down the knife rabbit hole after 20+ years of using the same knife. No stopping now 😝

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
CoilOil I saw that you mentioned Phil Wilson. Have had this Southfork in K390 for 6 years now and won’t use anything else. To the OP, if you can get a Phil Wilson I would recommend it. They are made to cut until you get tired. They aren’t made for popping joints or that type of work because they are extremely thin but with a little care you can break down animals with ease.

60121225-DADF-478B-B21A-39FC9772CA68.jpeg

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
CoilOil I saw that you mentioned Phil Wilson. Have had this Southfork in K390 for 6 years now and won’t use anything else. To the OP, if you can get a Phil Wilson I would recommend it. They are made to cut until you get tired. They aren’t made for popping joints or that type of work because they are extremely thin but with a little care you can break down animals with ease.

View attachment 343971

Nice knife. He makes a very high performance cutting tool. Not the type that does double duty as a pry bar or hammer but they can’t be beat for doing what a knife was designed for.

I’ve only got one but it’s an absolute weapon after a days fishing. It cuts like a laser beam.

17f955c47f97d5ad1e43c3412a70e79e.jpg

I’ve currently got him building me a larger model. Sometimes this 7” blade is a little undersized for the fish it needs to process. I had it built when I only fished freshwater. Now on the big pond it’s a little small at times.

8737fbbdc51353619b3868bffe1875b5.jpg

Try and ignore the mess I made of that wahoo. I had to knock the skeleton out of it on the boat with my bait knife to fit him in the kill tank. The lack of blade length posed a challenge when taking the skin off the fillets.

h2so4

WKR
I love my Matt Helm knives. Some are more suited to packs and some are more suited for other applications when weight isn’t a factor. I’ll see if I can scare up some pics this week.

TheGDog

WKR
Just get a Dual Blade folder from Havalon. They use Aus8 steel for the regular blade. Thing holds an edge for a long time hacking away at dulling cardboard. And you've got your scalpel too.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Just get a Dual Blade folder from Havalon. They use Aus8 steel for the regular blade. Thing holds an edge for a long time hacking away at dulling cardboard. And you've got your scalpel too.
That looks pretty good as an all in one knife for backpack hunts. I haven’t seen these before.

TheGDog

WKR
Another thing there about it being just one knife... with two knifes that you alternate between, with the blood on em... that other one can be surprisingly harder to re-acquire (find/spot on the ground) when the animal went down just before dark. Definitely good to have a processing knife be the bright colors like blaze orange. Or have some of that bright green on it.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to the Canadian belt knife design and own quite a few, but have only actually used the LT Wright Small Northern Hunter. Just finished a small cow elk with it and never felt I needed anything bigger. It held an edge well, considering the workout it got - skinning, quartering, splitting rib cage, backstraps, tenderloins, neck meat, severing lower legs - it wasn't shaving sharp at the end but was still cutting fairly well. When I got home it still sliced paper OK, just needed some stropping to bring the edge back perfectly.

I also own the Large version, as well as Grohmans #1, #2, #3. Maybe one day I'll use one of those or my Bob Dozier King's River Skinner, but I've gotten kind of attached to my SNH.

gdiemer

WKR
+1 for Benchmades. I've had great success with both the Altitude and the Saddle Mountain Skinner. Both have held their edge very well