Knife recommendations

Goat Knives TUR carbon Pro is a great knife. Lightweight and quality steel.
IMG_1876_1800x1800.jpg

Just to update this thread. I now own a LT Wright Small Northern Hunter, Benchmade Altitude, and a Grohman #1 belt knife.

The LT Wright Small Northern Hunter is beautiful, but for me it’s not as ergonomic and nimble as the Grohman #1.

I just used the #1 to get a Mule deer buck ready for packing and I was amazed at how versatile the knife felt. Like I’d been using it for years.

I used the Benchmade Altitude to fully debone a caribou bull for packing in sept and it also was a big surprise. Very secure and comfortable to use.
I'm glad you liked the Grohmann. It's kinda crazy/goofy looking, but it sure is comfortable to use.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
When I was gutting 4-10 deer per day, I went down the knife rabbit hole. This is what I learned. Some of my high end / exotic steel knives were not performing as well as I thought they should. They were plenty sharp but not going through the meat very well.

So I started looking at the finish. Bead blasted, coated, polished, etc. I found that many finishes on high end knives were "dragging" or "grabbing" meat as they cut. Now what?

So I started using knives with a polished blade. The polished blade knives seemed to move through the meat easier. DLC coating was the next easiest. Bead blasted was horrible for me.

I ended up with both of the Victorinox fixed blade hunters (large and small models). I'm not sure what steel they use, but they have the best fixed blade I've used.

Benchmade Altitude is what I use when weight counts (Victorinox are HEAVY, but built like tanks). The orange coated BM seems to go through the meat easier than the black DLC.

For a folder (I don't like to get blood and guts in the mechanism of a folder), I still use the Buck 501 or 110. Buck figured it out a long time ago with these. Quick strop or at most ceramic sticks and they are good to go after a deer.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
This is going to sound crazy, as I’m not recommending a rare, super expensive product…but the Buck 102 Woodsman is about the best all around knife I’ve found. I have a drawer full of custom knives made of magic powder steel from Denmark and similar. None beat out the Buck. I’ve hammered it with a rock, driving it through breast bone on Elk, caped, breasted birds, cut back straps out of a moose…it just plain works. It gets shaving sharp in 2 minutes, holds an edge, is light, cleans up easily, and is the perfect size to do several things well.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a Gerber Gatormate folding knife for close to 20 years. The majority of the animals I’ve dealt with are skinned and deboned on the spot and packed out. I use a scalpel for caping work.
I’m not a knife guy so it’s all I’ve ever used, but getting tired of having to sharpen the Gerber constantly. I’d like to get a high quality blade that will hold an edge better. I’m considering switching to a small fixed blade and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

Highly recommend Rainer knives. I have both their fastpak and basecamp. Both are Elmax which is a very high quality steel. They are very affordable as far as high quality knives go. Check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI….Bucks Vanguard with the rubber handles that don’t slip soaked in blood has been my go to hunting knife for probably 25-30 years.I have lots of knives but I always go back to it. I had my truck broken into and a bunch of stuff stolen. First thing I replaced was my Buck Vanguard. Had a hunting guide who made a deal with the landowner to use our cleaning station. He had multiple clients that killed animals so I volunteered to help him out. I cleaned three deer to his one. Not a bushcraft knife. Give it a look.

dlee56

WKR
My Bradford knife has been incredible. Dressed a whole elk this year without resharpening and they're American made. They use "super steels" 3V and M390. Can't go wrong with either. Great folks too!

Honyock

WKR
Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter is a little blade that can do big blade stuff. Holds an edge and is very sharp.

Honyock

WKR
Just FYI….Bucks Vanguard with the rubber handles that don’t slip soaked in blood has been my go to hunting knife for probably 25-30 years.I have lots of knives but I always go back to it. I had my truck broken into and a bunch of stuff stolen. First thing I replaced was my Buck Vanguard. Had a hunting guide who made a deal with the landowner to use our cleaning station. He had multiple clients that killed animals so I volunteered to help him out. I cleaned three deer to his one. Not a bushcraft knife. Give it a look.
I have had the same knife with the guthook for at least 30 years and it has cleaned a ton of animals. Great knife but it is definitely not on the light side of things.

Flogger

FNG
Either a CPK Field Knife or Winkler Jaeger.
Both aren’t cheap but they are knives you will pass down to your children’s children.

MNWILD15

Lil-Rokslider
Montana Knife Company is worth a look. Solid knives made in Frenchtown Montana. Spoke with the owner at a tac event last year. Stand up guy and really knows his craft! Just my 2 cents…

Felton

WKR
I throw my 2 cents in…

Spyderco Bill Moran is a great knife. Light in the hand yet fills the palm as to not cause it to cramp. It’s super sharp out of the box. Vg10 steel. The handle has a rubberized grip to help keep it from sliding around. I think it weighs 3oz or less.

I’ve cleaned quite a few gators with it as well as deer and hog. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a great option for any other big game.

The knife was designed by Bill Moran as the ultimate hunting knife.

Last edited:
Might be more than a budget allows, but I have a ruana drop point that has been the best knife I've ever used. if you look sometimes a good deal on a used one will pop up on Ebay, they are top quality steel paired with excellent craftsmanship, made in Bonner Montana.

Jeff_74

FNG
I like MKC also; have the Blackfoot 2.0.
They sell out fast on their site though & eBay is full of scalpers. 😡