Knife set

So I’ve been using a knife butcher set from academy (it was a gift) for the last couple years and I’ve gotten to the point that I am ready to toss them for good. They suck! Lol. The steel is incredibly hard to get an edge on to my liking and they don’t hold an edge for crap. I’ve broken down at least 10 deer and processed two elk with them and I want an upgrade. The wife told me to let her know and Santa will have it added to the list.

With that being said, what are the top knife sets as of today for breaking down an animal? These won’t be used for packing or on a back country hunt but used for final processing at home such as deboning, cutting steaks, etc.

Thanks for all your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
You have many options and there are a lot of threads on this.

Some just use the replaceable blade Havalon style, Buddies use these and I prefer something sturdy and not to go through 4-6 blades changes per elk.

I prefer a good fixed blade knife. One made of quality steel will hold an edge through a couple of animals. Look for one of the particle steels ;S30v, S90v, Elmax- many more of these...... or you could go old school D2 blades tempered to 60 Rockwell or more.

You will need a good sharpening system for these high quality blades; A jig that holds the blade with good stones or diamonds. Lots of those systems to choose from; Lansky, Gatco and the excellent Edge Pro to name a few.

I use these for all my butchering. They are cheap. I have about a dozen. They sharpen up quickly, hold an edge fairly well, and when one gets dull I just swap it out for a sharp one. Then at the end of the night after they get cleaned, I sharpen them back up so they are ready for the next time.

OP
ddavis_1313
So far I’m leaning on a bark river as a general purpose knife and then going with something like a victorinox boning and cimeter for actual processing.

Thoughts on bark river?

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider

Some just use the replaceable blade Havalon style, Buddies use these and I prefer something sturdy and not to go through 4-6 blades changes per elk.

I prefer a good fixed blade knife. One made of quality steel will hold an edge through a couple of animals. Look for one of the particle steels ;S30v, S90v, Elmax- many more of these...... or you could go old school D2 blades tempered to 60 Rockwell or more.

You will need a good sharpening system for these high quality blades; A jig that holds the blade with good stones or diamonds. Lots of those systems to choose from; Lansky, Gatco and the excellent Edge Pro to name a few.

+1
CC.jpg

OP
ddavis_1313

Thoughts on A2? Was considering this or possibly s30v. I’d like to be able to quickly and easily put and edge on it especially if out in the field. Not to mention, the knives I’m looking at have a convex edge which for me are harder to sharpen.

sndmn11

WKR

For sure this.

I have some knives from Knives of Alaska and they are fantastic if you are looking for a tough fixed blade with zero regard to being lightweight. I think some of these tool steels are a lot better than the most common stainless steels like S30V. I also have a handful of fixed blades from Spyderco that are similar high carbon (various Mules) and they perform similar to D2.

I am gathering up a "set" of similar type knives for kitchen work and at home butchering, but I think if someone learned how to sharpen and steel their knives, there are many common cheap that would be suitable because you can bring back the edge in a few swipes.

sndmn11

WKR
Thoughts on A2? Was considering this or possibly s30v. I’d like to be able to quickly and easily put and edge on it especially if out in the field. Not to mention, the knives I’m looking at have a convex edge which for me are harder to sharpen.

I do not like s30v enough to where I have only owned a few knives made with it years ago by reputable makers, and won't even consider a knife with it. I have not owned an A2 knife, but have handled the one from Iron Will and would have zero reservations about owning it for life. It was one of the sharpest knives I have handled from the factory.

T28w

WKR
I do not like s30v enough to where I have only owned a few knives made with it years ago by reputable makers, and won't even consider a knife with it. I have not owned an A2 knife, but have handled the one from Iron Will and would have zero reservations about owning it for life. It was one of the sharpest knives I have handled from the factory.

What exactly did u not like about s30v?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Forschner/Victorinox boning knife linked above is all the knife you need for butchering at home

I've butchered probably close to 100 animals with the same knife; doesn't hold an edge forever, but easily touched up

16Bore

WKR
That Vic in the 5” version is my favorite. My buddy is a butcher and swears by it. I’d say after 25+ years in the bidness, he might know a thing or two.

sndmn11

WKR
What exactly did u not like about s30v?

I have had two Spyderco and one Benchmade in that steel. I have gotten every other knife sharper than those and it has been easier to do so. All other knives have remained sharp in a usable sense much longer, but it could be argued that was because they didn't start as sharp. I even spent literal hours at Spyderco getting lessons on sharpening. I really like VG10 for similar priced stainless and would still choose 440c or Aus8 over s30v simply based on my experiences. We sent a Benchmade Bugout out with @Back Country Hunter 2 and he brought it back child safe dull without getting much of a mule deer dressed. My view and opinion of it is that it is a place filler steel that makers use as a plain stand by. I genuinely haven't searched, but I have not seen any custom makers using it, and there seems to be marketability for more niche/exotic/unique steels and I think that is one instance where functionality was the driver.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I bought two sets of these cheap boning knives from sams club for less than $20. I keep a spiderco ceramic sharpener on the table and invite my friends over. The knives are cheap and I could not care less what happens to them. They stay razor sharp with a few strokes over the sharpener every now and then. I have used the same 4 knives for the last 7 years and processed countless deer, antelope, a few elk and two bovine. I keep thinking these cheap knives will fail me but they keep on going.

16Bore

WKR
Look at the hardness of S30V and corrosion resistance. If you get it sharp it stays sharp, but getting it right is key. Gene Ingram, Joel Clark, Rick Menefee, Winston and a slew of others can getcha whatcha want for $400.

Higher carbon is easier to sharpen and can certainly be “sharper”. But it doesn’t last. If your first move before making meat or slicing an onion isn’t a few strokes on a rod then you’re already behind.

VG10 is one of the best steels out there and why the Japanese keep it to themselves.

But a fella making a living (and a damn good one) that puts his meat and taters in a $25 blade is probably worth listening to.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Benchmade with s30v blade and will do two elk easily without a touch up. Most everyone I hunt with has also purchased one after seeing it in action. I've never even tried to sharpen it just send it in after the season, but I have a couple different styles with the same s30v blade. Out of convenience I do all my butchering with a havlon fillet blade and the 60a blades on the cheap plastic handle. The handle fits in my binocular harness front pocket and I've broken down a few animals with a single blade on it too. I'm stumped at how different some peoples experience are then mine.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Cut vs. Pry

A single Havalon can take it from the field to skinned, hanging, and legs removed at the joint.

Then a Vic for the rest. There’s a whopping $50 in knives right there...