Knife set

slick

WKR
Agree with 16. Use a small Havalon for everything in the field, and once at home have a Vic that I keep sharp. The Vic’s blade isn’t super stiff and is nice for working around bones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll go out on a limb and say that 75%+ butchers use a Vic/Forschner boning knife for the majority of their butchering needs.

They eventually will replace them as they’ve worn the blades into a stub- it would take the average hunter probably 40-50 years to do that :)

Lawnboi

WKR
So far I’m leaning on a bark river as a general purpose knife and then going with something like a victorinox boning and cimeter for actual processing.

Thoughts on bark river?

Check out LT Wright knives. Have seen and used dozens of each them and bark river knives. My outdoor knives are all LT now. And they are cheaper. Check out the small northern hunter for a general hunting knife.

The above knife along with a custom thin boning knife is all I use for processing animals. I’d bet a small Vic does the job.

Personally not a fan of replaceable blades but can see thier place if a guy dosnt want to sharpen.

In regards to metal aebl is my current favorite for a hunting knife. I have knives in A2, 1095, elmax, s35vn, W2, D2, 3V the list could go in but aebl has held a great edge and been easy to resharpen. Doesn’t stain like a carbon steel. A2 can and will stain especially if you chop something up and leave it in your pack wet for a day or 2. I’m also not the biggest fan of s30V.

Last edited:

JJE2MTB

FNG
I’ll go out on a limb and say that 75%+ butchers use a Vic/Forschner boning knife for the majority of their butchering needs.

They eventually will replace them as they’ve worn the blades into a stub- it would take the average hunter probably 40-50 years to do that :)

This is very true. Ask any professional butcher and they will say Victorinox/Forschner are arguably the best meat processing/butcher blades out there, and they are incredibly affordable.

I own several $400-$500 custom knives and some $10 Morakniv's and everything in between. I use victorinox to butcher all my game with because they work great, and are pretty cheap compared to almost any other knives of anywhere near the quality.

OP
ddavis_1313
So vics is what I’m getting to use at home. But I’d love a nice knife or two fixed to use for breaking down an animal. After several reviews and videos watched, I think I will shy away from bush river due to their convex blades. They are amazing on wood and bush craft but seem to not work very well on slicing through or skinning game.

So, the search for a really nice game knife or set continues. May end up with a cape style knife and something to quarter and skin with. The cape knives are great for detail and getting through touch joints from experience in the past

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can find one on sale (I scored a good deal on eBay) the little Benchmade Altitude works well (combined with a Havalon)

Rich M

WKR
Call me old - I use DEXTER RUSSEL fillet knives for just about everything - have 6, 7 & 9 inch blades. They take use from fishing season into hunting season back into fishing. Sharpen easy, hold an edge. Long enough to easily cut steaks.

Use a Buck 110 in the field. Keeps an edge and will quarter a couple deer between sharpening if you don't try to hack thru a bone.